Doritos Taco Salad is a family favorite recipe. It is loaded with ground beef, taco seasoning, Doritos and more. We love that it is topped with sweet and tangy Catalina dressing.
Easy Doritos Taco Salad Recipe:
My family loves making this Easy Doritos Taco Salad. It is loaded with all of taco favorites but in a salad form. Plus the added crunchiness of cheesy Doritos.
This is the perfect meal to make on a busy weeknight or a hot summer day. Everyone can add in their favorite topping and enjoy a refreshing salad.
Dorito taco salad is a great salad to prepare a family night or to feed a crowd. It is the perfect meal to prepare when you don’t want to heat your oven. You might also like taco dip.
How do you make a Dorito Salad?
The great thing about this salad is you can’t really mess it up. We like simple and basic recipes and this is one of them.
Start with browning your beef. Then in a bowl start with you lettuce and the toppings of your choice. Toss in your cheese Doritos and top with your seasoned ground beef.
The options are endless on how to prepare and make your Doritos Taco Salad. Change the dressing, use different chips, or add in your favorite toppings.
What goes in a Taco Salad?
The reason we love Taco Salad and make often is because you can use what you have on hand. Here are some of my favorite taco salad ingredients:
- Choice of Meat – Lean ground beef, shredded chicken, seasoned shrimp are great choices. You can also do a mixture of ground beef and ground turkey.
- Beans – We usually do black beans or pinto beans or a mixture of both.
- Lettuce – Start with romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce. We love the freshness it gives a salad.
- Cheese – We usually cheddar cheese but Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese or pepper jack cheese are a good choice.
- Vegetables – Diced green bell peppers, red onions, avocado and corn are our favorite vegetable toppings. Sliced jalapeños are always requested.
- Salad Dressing – Catalina dressing is our choice for this salad, but I also use salsa occasionally. You can also use a creamy ranch dressing, avocado dressing or french dressing if you prefer.
- Change the Chips – You can also use tortilla chips or cool ranch Dorito Chips. Even the Spicy flavored Dorito Chips is a good option.
- Lean ground beef
- Taco Seasoning
- Romaine Lettuce Hearts, rinsed then chopped
- Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- Romo Tomato, chopped
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Nacho Cheese Doritos, Broken into Smaller Pieces
- Catalina Dressing (Try Homemade Catalina Dressing Recipe)
How to make Taco Salad with Doritos:
- Prepare Ground Beef in Skillet – Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Break up the ground beef as it cooks.
- Add in Taco Seasoning and Salsa – Then stir in the taco seasoning mix and salsa into the ground beef. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes to incorporate the flavors. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Toss taco salad ingredients – In a large bowl toss together the lettuce, tomato, onions, black beans, cheddar cheese, broken up Doritos. Then add in the cooled meat until they are combined.
- Mix in Catalina Dressing – Then drizzle the Catalina dressing on top and gently toss until coated.
- Serve and Enjoy – Then serve immediately.
How to Make Taco Seasoning:
If you want to make your own taco seasoning packet, this Homemade Taco Seasoning is so good and easy to make.
We love making our own seasoning. It taste better and we know exactly what we are adding to the seasoning blend.
The Taco Seasoning blend is made up of seasonings that you probably already have on hand.
Cook your Ground Beef ahead of time:
When I cook ground beef, I will like to make a large quantity at a time so that I can freeze. How to freeze ground beef after you have cooked it is a great way to save time and money.
Since you are already making ground beef for your dinner, go ahead and brown up more for your future meals. Doritos Taco Salad just got even easier if you have the ground beef already cooked.
It also makes meals that you need to make in the crock pot even easier on cooking day. If you are making a skillet recipe, just add in a little water with your ground beef and heat.
How to make a Taco Salad ahead of time?
This is the perfect meal to prepare ahead of time. When I know that we have a busy night ahead, I will prepare this meal. So that all we have to do is toss in the Doritos and our meal is complete.
The key in preparing this Doritos Salad is to not mix the ingredients once you have added them to the bowl. You can also put each ingredient in separate bowls and everyone can make their own.
Store ingredients in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Then when you are ready to serve, toss with your Doritos.
Optional Add-ins to your Dorito Taco Salad:
If you need some other ideas to add into your Dorito Taco Salad. These items are always our favorite options when we build out taco salad.
- Pico de Galo
- Black Olives
- Green Onions
What is the difference between Nachos and Taco Salad?
Nachos are usually served with hot melted cheese over tortilla chips. Nachos usually do not include lettuce like taco salad.
Taco salad is served with a dressing and nachos usually are served with salsa and sour cream. See What to Serve with Taco Salad for side ideas.
How to store leftovers:
Store leftovers is best when you keep the taco salad ingredients separately. The chips and the lettuce will get to soggy with the dressing mixed in. But you can easily store your taco meat and the ingredients separately in airtight container in the refrigerator.
Doritos Taco Salad makes a great lunch. Place your chips and lettuce in a separate ziplock bag. Then add your other ingredients in a container and then you are able to reheat and mix everything together.
Print Recipe here for Doritos Taco Salad:
Dorito Taco Salad
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Salsa
- 4 Romaine Lettuce Hearts rinsed then chopped
- 1 cup Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Romo Tomato chopped
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups Nacho Cheese Doritos Broken into Smaller Pieces
- 1/2 cup Catalina Dressing
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Break up the ground beef as it cooks. Then stir in the taco seasoning and salsa into the ground beef. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes to incorporate the flavors. Then remove from the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Then in a large bowl toss together the lettuce, black beans, tomato, cheddar cheese, broken up Doritos and the cooled meat until they are combined.
- Then drizzle the Catalina dressing on top and gently toss until coated.
- Then serve immediately.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe