As promised, yesterday I shared our family’s favorite snack – Homemade pretzels bites. The kids devour them! Now the first time we made these, we made a cheese sauce using shredded cheese, flour and butter, but it was so stringy – I just hated it. I finally realized that I could use my recipe for cheese sauce that I make to top my broccoli. 🙂
I made it and it worked perfectly for the homemade pretzel bites. In fact…. it was wonderful and tasted just like Auntie Anne’s cheese sauce that they give you with their pretzels!
Here is how to make it:
- You will need 3 to 4 slices of American Cheese.
- Chop them up and place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 1 -2 Tablespoon of milk.
- Microwave for about 3o seconds to a minute (Keep your eye on it).
- Stir until melted.
- Beginning dipping your favorite pretzels immediately. 🙂
I know… this is hardly a real recipe, but it completely solves the problem of delicious creamy cheese sauce for your pretzels.
Now if you are going to make a big batch, I highly recommend a double boiler to melt your cheese. It will go much smoother and will melt more evenly. Trust me… I’ve learned from experience! I actually found several that are on sale on Amazon in case you don’t have one – you can check them out here.
Now we normally will make this dip in the double boiler, and then we like to keep it warm in a mini dipper crockpot. We just love them because it keeps the dip warm and smooth.
Money Saving tip:
Stock up on the sliced American Cheese when they go on sale. Then freeze it. We freeze ours all the time and it thaws perfectly. In fact, the ones in the picture above were frozen. 🙂
Make sure you check out some of these other frugal dip ideas:
- Copycat Fritos Bean Dip Recipe
- Fiesta Ranch Dip Recipe
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip – easy after school snack
- The Best Mexican White Cheese Dip – Queso Blanco