This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Now you can enjoy Crock Pot Shepherd’s Pie Recipe any day of the week thanks to the slow cooker. This delicious and classic recipe gets a twist in the crock pot making it the perfect meal for busy families.
Crockpot Shepherd’s Pie Recipe:
Did you grow up eating Shepherd’s Pie? It is the best comfort food and everyone seem to enjoy it. I’m going to show you how to make it in the slow cooker giving you even more reasons to love this recipe.
We loving coming home to dinner ready and waiting. This recipe is so easy and only takes a few minutes to prepare. The delicious beef has the the best flavor from the cream of mushroom soup. I could literally just eat it by the spoonful.
It is even more amazing with the mashed potatoes. We make this recipe often as we use what we have on hand. Even your pickiest eater will love this recipe. Everything cooks perfectly in the slow cooker.
What is Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie was originally brought to life to use up leftover roast. But now Shepherd’s Pie is made with ground beef which is an easy method. It is rich in flavored and easy ingredients.
We start by preparing the meat layer and then the mashed potatoes. The best comfort food to come home to. Shepherd’s Pie is a budget friendly and crowd favorite meal. Slow Cooking this recipe makes this is easy recipe.
Ingredients for Crockpot Shepherd’s Pie:
- Ground Beef
- Minced Garlic – You can also use garlic powder
- Onion Powder
- Frozen Peas and Carrots
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Russet Potatoes – That are prepared with milk and butter.
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie in a Crock Pot:
- Prepare Ground Beef – Brown your ground beef in a skillet and drain. If you have the Instant Pot Aura you can prepare the meat directly in your slow cooker.
- Prepare crock pot – Spray your crock pot with cooking spray.
- Add Ingredients to Slow Cooker – Add all the ingredients including the carrots and peas except the mashed potatoes in the crock pot.
- Cook Ingredients – Cook on low for 6 hours. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add Mashed Potatoes on top – In the last 2 hours of the cooking time, spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top of the beef mixture.
- Cook two more hours – Cook the additional two hours on medium high heat.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately. We like to season with salt and pepper to taste.
Can I use Leftover Mashed Potatoes?
If you have made to many mashed potatoes, then this is the perfect meal to use them in. You will need about 4 cups of leftover mashed potatoes to cover the top of the casserole in the crock pot.
Prepare the meat mixture in a skillet or in your crock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Then after heating the ingredients in the slow cooker, top with your leftover mashed potatoes.
- Change the Meat – You can use ground turkey instead of ground beef. This is just as delicious. We have even used chicken.
- Instant Potatoes – We like to make our own mashed potatoes but you could use instant potatoes in a pinch.
- Change the vegetables – The frozen veggies are delicious but feel free to make this your own. I have even used frozen green beans.
- Stir in Beef Broth – Add beef broth if you need to thin the mixture a little. This is just up to personal preference.
- Tator Tots – Tater Tots are delicious if you need a quick substitute for mashed potatoes.
- Use Sweet Potatoes – You can use sweet potato instead of regular on top.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Add Worcestershire sauce for added flavor.
What else can you try with this easy Shepherds Pie Crockpot Recipe:
- Crock Pot Shepherd’s Pie with Biscuits – We love to use canned biscuits on top instead of mashed potatoes.
- Crock Pot Chicken Shepherd’s Pie – Add in ground chicken instead of ground beef.
- Crock Pot Shepherd’s Pie with Tater Tots – For an easy and delicious substitute, top with Tater Tots.
- Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie Sweet Potato – You can use sweet potato instead of regular potatoes on top.
What to serve with Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie already filled with hearty ingredients. We like to serve simple sides with this slow cooker recipe. Here are some of our favorites.
- Side Salad
- Green Beans
- Brussel Sprouts
- French Bread
Can you Substitute other Meats in Shephard’s Pie?
Yes, you can use different types of meat for Shephard’s Pie. Shephard’s Pie was created to use your leftover meats for an delicious second meal. Here are some of our suggestions:
- Shredded Roast Beef
- Ground Chicken
- Ground Turkey
- Shredded Pork
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers for up to 4-5 days. Store in a air tight microwave container. This way it is easy to heat up in the microwave.
Print this Easy Shepherd Pie Recipe Ground Beef below:
Crock pot Sheperd’s pie
- Brown your ground beef, drain.
- Spray your crock pot with cooking spray.
- Add all the ingredients except the mashed potatoes in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- In the last 2 hours of the cooking time, spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top.
- Cook the additional two hours. Serve immediately.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe