This Easy Stromboli Recipe will become an instant hit with your family! Perfect for those busy nights when you’re tempted to hit the drive-thru. Versatile enough that you can keep changing it up!
It has taken me a long time to realize that dinner doesn’t have to be complicated! This easy stromboli recipe proves just that. After making this recipe for the first time I questioned myself on why I have never made it before! Seriously, not only is this easy stromboli so simple to make, it is so good and feeds a crowd!
For this recipe, I’m taking a classic easy stromboli recipe and jazzing it up a bit with ham and cheese to create a simple ham and cheese stromboli recipe. I’m certain that after you taste it, it will become an instant favorite! You’ll wonder how you ever lived without it!
This super quick and easy recipe is great for dinner, but also fun for lunches too. You can easily feed a crowd or just enjoy it with the family at home. Make a couple of different versions of this easy stromboli and you have instant party food!
What’s in a Stromboli?
Basically, stromboli is a combination of cheeses and meats that are rolled inside dough and then baked. It doesn’t matter what combination of meats and cheeses you use, that is all up to you!
They’re closely related to the calzone, in that they both contain a combination of meats and cheeses and are surrounded by dough. A calzone is more of a turnover style (think pizza folded in half, then sealed), where stromboli is rolled and then sliced.
Traditionally, stromboli uses either a french bread dough or a pizza dough. Either of those options work perfectly and are similar in taste and texture. Use whatever you have on hand or are able to get easily. It doesn’t need to be complicated!
To keep this recipe easy, we’re going to use a store-bought refrigerated bread or pizza dough as the base. If you have a homemade version that you prefer, feel free to use it in this recipe instead.
Ham & Swiss Stromboli Recipe
Ingredients in Easy Stromboli Recipe:
- 1 tube refrigerated crusty French loaf (Pillsbury makes a good one) or refrigerated pizza dough
- 6 oz thinly sliced deli ham
- 3 sliced green onions, sliced
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 6 oz. Swiss cheese
How to make Stromboli with Ham and Cheese:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unroll French loaf onto a greased baking sheet.
2. Place ham all over, leaving ½ inch of an edge, place Swiss cheese on top of the ham and sprinkle with green onions and bacon.
3. Roll up the bread dough jellyroll style (starting on the long sides) and seal the ends by tucking them under.
4. Make several ¼ inch deep slits in the dough and bake seam side down.
5. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cool slightly before cutting and serving. Stromboli is best when served warm. You can serve with warmed marinara sauce if desired.
Stromboli Recipe variation ideas:
Feel free to change this easy recipe to any type of stromboli you like. If you prefer turkey over ham, it will work just as well! Not a fan of swiss cheese? No problem, use Turkey and Pepper-Jack or Ham and Pepper-Jack.
It’s also super easy to make a pizza version of this stromboli recipe. Use a combination of pepperoni and sausage for the meat, with mozzarella cheese.
Start by brushing the pizza crust with approximately ½ cup of pizza sauce (marinara sauce works, too!) and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Then top with your meat and cheese. You can also add in some diced bell pepper, onions and black olives for a supreme stromboli! Instead of using pepperoni, you could also use ham or Canadian bacon. Ground beef is also a good replacement for sausage. Once you have it assembled, roll the pizza dough and seal the edges. Bake as directed.
Ham, Salami and Pepperoni is another great combo that would be similar to an Italian BMT sandwich!
What other flavor combinations can you think of to make this easy Stromboli recipe?
You can freeze this Stromboli Sandwich:
Stromboli would be super easy to freeze. You can make several all at once using an assembly line type setup. After assembling them, bake and cook like normal. Then cut and freeze on a cookie sheet and place in a freezer bag frozen.
When you’re ready to eat them, pull out how many you need. So if you only need two you can just pull out two. Reheat in the microwave for an easy lunch or after school snack idea!
How do you keep a stromboli from getting soggy?
If you’re worried about the dough getting soggy or just prefer a crispier outside you can brush the dough with a simple egg wash. After you’ve assembled your stromboli, before you cut the slits, simply beat together one egg and 1 Tablespoon of water. Then brush the egg wash mixture all over the outside of the dough, then cut the slits and bake as normal.
What to serve with Stromboli:
If you’re looking for simple side dishes to serve with stromboli to make it stretch a little further, I recommend a quick side salad, Italian pasta salad, Cucumber Onion Salad, or even these Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts.
Print this Easy Stromboli Recipe below:
Easy Stromboli Recipe
- 1 tube refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 6 oz thinly sliced deli ham
- 3 sliced green onions sliced
- 8 bacon strips cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 6 oz. Sliced Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unroll French loaf onto a greased baking sheet.
- Place the ham all over, leaving ½ inch of an edge, place Swiss cheese on top of the ham and sprinkle with green onions and bacon.
- Roll up the bread dough jellyroll style (starting on the long sides) and seal the ends by tucking them under.
- Make several ¼ inch deep slits in the dough and bake seam side down.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly before cutting and serving.
- Stromboli is best when served warm with marinara sauce.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try a few of these other easy dinner ideas:
- Easy Pizza Pocket Recipe
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip ; easy after school snack
- Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe
- Biscuit Pizza Recipe; Make pizzas with canned biscuits!
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Recipe
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas