French Toast Casserole Recipe is a delicious overnight breakfast casserole. This recipe is simple enough for busy mornings but so delicious that you will want to serve it to guests.
Baking French Toast Casserole Recipe:
We just made this delicious overnight French toast casserole recipe the other day for “brinner” (breakfast for dinner) and I almost forgot how good it was. The entire family loved it.
Now I recommend letting it sit overnight, but I just didn’t plan that ahead. You can easily make this recipe without it sitting overnight – just decrease the milk by 50%.
It still tastes great but probably not as delicious as letting it sit overnight. Your family will love this. Either way, you can still have delicious French toast casserole overnight recipe.
What is Overnight French Toast?
The best French toast casserole is when it is made overnight. The bread is separated in small pieces and placed in a casserole dish. Then a milk mixture consisting of milk, egg, cinnamon and sugar is added to the bread.
This casserole is then placed in the refrigerator and the bread has time to soak up the mixture overnight. Then the casserole is then baked and the best French Toast casserole is made.
What to Serve with French Toast Bake?
There are many food items that go great with this overnight French toast. Here are some of our favorites:
- You might also like to add some fruit. We love this easy Tropical Fruit Salad.
Add your Favorite Toppings:
We love to add different toppings to this french toast bake.
- Our homemade pancake syrup on top and then sprinkle powdered sugar is a family favorite.
- Dried Cranberries
- Sliced Almonds
- Cinnamon and Sugar
- Slice Apples
The options are endless as to what to add.
French Toast Casserole Ingredients:
- Loaf of French Bread
- Sugar (divided in half)
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
How to Make French Toast Casserole:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – First preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Step 2 – Prepare Pan – Spray bottom of pan with cooking spray or coat with melted butter.
- Step 3 – Cut Bread – Cut the french bread into chunks and spread evenly in a 9×13 pan.
- Step 4 – Mix Ingredients – Next, mix together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and salt, and vanilla.
- Step 5 – Pour over bread – Pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Mix bread with egg mixture to coat. I find that it works best if I mix with my hands. This ensures that all the bread is coated.
- Step 6 – Mix sugar and cinnamon – In a small separate bowl mix together 2 Tablespoons of sugar and 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon.
- Step 7 – Top on casserole – Sprinkle this mixture over the entire baking dish until it is gone.
- Step 8 – Place in the Fridge – If wanting to eat now, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerate overnight. We love it much better when it sits overnight, but you could cook it immediately.
- Step 9 – Bake Casserole – The next morning bake the casserole in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes to 45 minutes until golden brown. You can cover with aluminum foil if the bread starts to burn.
What is the Best Bread for French Toast?
When choosing the best bread for your overnight French Toast, you want to choose bread that is sturdy. Thinly sliced or really soft bread doesn’t hold and can fall a part when baking.
These are my favorites bread options.
- French Bread
- Sourdough Bread
- Brioche Bread
- Challah Bread
- Pullman Loaf
Can you Freeze Overnight French Toast?
Yes, you can freeze French Toast. Freezing this French toast bake is easy to do.
- Prepare the French Toast as indicated in the recipe.
- Make sure to cover with foil and freeze.
- When you are ready to bake, thaw overnight in fridge. Cook in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Tips for the Best Overnight French Toast Bake:
- Top with Butter – If you are afraid it may dry out, place a few tabs of butter on top when you bake it.
- Drizzle Maple Syrup – When serving I have drizzled with maple syrup right before serving, or I have sprinkled with with powdered sugar. Either way is fabulous.
- Add Brown Sugar – Mix in some brown sugar and cinnamon for a different flavor.
- Heavy Cream – You can also use some heavy cream in place of milk or do half and half.
- Whipped Cream – Serve with Whipped Cream on top.
Everyone will be well fed and your budget will be better as well. Give some of these tips a try!
French Toast Casserole Variation Ideas:
- Try using other types of bread. Some ideas include: raisin bread, french bread, Italian bread, texas toast, sour dough bread and more.
- Add raisins and nuts to the french toast mixture.
- Drizzle caramel.
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is amazing on this french toast casserole.
- French toast bake with texas toast is my favorite bread to use.
- You can also add in some ham and cheese or sausage or bacon for a savory french toast bake.
- Mix in orange zest for a delicious flavor.
Why is my French Toast Casserole Soggy?
You want the casserole to be moist on the inside but have a drier crispier top. If you find that the inside of the french toast casserole is too soggy, try reducing the amount of milk or using a thicker more heartier style of bread.
The Best Overnight French Toast Casserole:
Have you ever made overnight French Toast? My family has always been a big fan of french toast. So making this overnight french toast is the perfect breakfast meal. It is similar to bread pudding.
You prepare the french toast the night before and place in the refrigerator and bake the next morning. These step by step instructions helps to make this casserole in less than 10 minutes.
This is the perfect to make for Christmas Morning. You can have it baking in the oven while you enjoying watching your family open gifts. It is always on the menu for breakfast on Christmas morning at my house.
Print Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe:
French Toast Casserole Recipe
- Spray bottom of pan with cooking spray or coat with melted butter. Cut bread into chunks and spread evenly in a 9×13 pan.
- Mix together eggs, milk, 2 Tablespoons of sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour over bread. Mix to coat to coat the bread in the mixture.
- In a small separate bowl mix together 2 Tablespoons of sugar and 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle this mixture over the entire pan.
If wanting to eat now:
- Cover and place in fridge over night. (you could cook immediately, but it is much better if you let it sit over night) The next morning cook in 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown.
If wanting to freeze:
- Cover with foil and freeze. When you are ready, thaw overnight in fridge. Cook in 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
The ingredients state 1 TEAspoon of cinnamon but the recipe states 1 TABLEspoon. Which amount should be used in this recipe?
In the instructions it says 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and above in the ingredients it says 1 teaspoon… i was just assembling with the instructions so we will be blasted with cinnamon in the morning
I want to make this! Could you clarify the amount of cinnamon in this recipe. The ingredients list says 1 tsp. But the directions say 1 T. Thanks.
I make this during the holidays using sweet Hawaiian bread & egg nog. It’s delish!
Is the cinnamon and sugar topping 1 tablespoon or 1 tewaspoon each? The directions contradict.Making it tonight! Mary
Just picked up some dinner rolls on grocery yesterday for a .25 a pack! Think I’ll try this with them
Oh wow! That’s a great deal! I hope you enjoy this recipe with them!
I’ve made this recipe several times and I use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
Good Morning! Merry Christmas! We just finished the casserole and just wow!
I kinda tweaked a little. I used 1cup heavy cream (had to use it up). Then when it came out of the oven I dolloped honey butter over the top and then crumbled bacon.
My kids love French toast and they loved this. I love how easy it is to make and with 3 children running around it is great. Makes a quick breakfast for all those busy mornings.
Hi, could I make this in my enameled dutch oven.
Yes, I think that would work great.
one of the best ways make a family have brunch delicious together.
Was delicious, I also used cinnamon raisen bread and diced ham. Recieved many compliments
See More Comments