Homemade ranch dressing is the best dressing and so easy to make. It is creamy and flavorful. This dressing is delicious with salad or as a dipping sauce for Bacon Jalapeno Poppers, Mozzarella Sticks and more.
Homemade ranch dressing
This recipe is super easy for homemade ranch dressing. I mean really easy! Plus, it tastes amazing. Once you try it, you will be hooked and always want this homemade dressing.
Ranch dressing is my favorite but I’m pretty picky. Most store bought dressings are disappointing. They either lack flavor or have too much mayo or not enough seasoning.
I started making my own dressings at home and it’s pretty simple actually. Plus, we get to enjoy a much better dressing. It saves money too.
This is definitely a win all around. We could literally put ranch on everything! It’s so good.
Ingredient for homemade ranch:
- mayonnaise – Greek yogurt can be substituted instead of mayo to lighten the recipe.
- sour cream
- Buttermilk Powder
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Chives
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Salt
- Salt and pepper
We love this but feel free to adjust seasonings to your preference. If you love garlic you might want to add extra garlic powder.
Fresh herbs can also be used instead of dried herbs.
How do you make ranch dressing from scratch?
First, get out a mixing bowl and combine the mayo and sour cream. Stir this until it is well combined.
Second, add all of the seasoning. Mix this together really good.
Finally, gradually add the milk and whisk until the dressing is the desired thickness you prefer. If I am using it for dipping, I make it a little thicker. However, if it is for salad, I make it thinner.
Once everything is well combined, put the dressing in a mason jar or dressing container. Put in the fridge for at least 2 to 3 hours so the flavors can combine.
What is Buttermilk Powder?
If you are not using this, it is so convenient. Buttermilk Powder is powdered milk. It is the result of dehydrating butter and what is left is this powder.
You can use it in recipes that call for buttermilk and not have to worry about going to the store to get buttermilk. If you are like me, you normally only need a tiny bit and the rest goes to waste.
This powder lasts much longer and you can have it on hand for when you need it. Some brands require refrigeration while others do not. Just make sure to read the label.
How long does homemade ranch stay good for?
It will last up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Just make sure to store it inside an airtight container.
Tips and tricks:
- This dressing recipe makes about 1 ½ cup of salad dressing and each serving is approximately 1 Tablespoon. If you are like me and use a lot of dressing, go ahead and double the recipe. It does not take any more time and you will have extra on hand.
- Storage options: You can store the salad dressing in a mason jar. You probably already have several in your cabinet. I love using these because you can just keep washing and reusing. It saves money in the long run. If you prefer, you can also use a reusable dressing bottle but I find the jar works just as well.
Recipes that use Ranch:
- Crock Pot BBQ Ranch Drumsticks – We love to dip these drumsticks in ranch dressing.
- Air Fryer Fried Pickles– Pickles dipped in ranch taste amazing.
- Mozzarella Sticks– Some people prefer marinara for dipping but I love ranch!
- Buffalo Chicken Wraps – Drizzle ranch on the chicken mixture in the ranch. You might even want a little cup for dipping.
The ideas are endless for ranch dressing. It is amazing on salad but good on so many other things too.
What is your favorite thing to put ranch on? I have some friends that dip their pizza in it!
However you use it, this recipe is much better than bottled ranch.
Print the recipe for homemade ranch dressing:
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp Buttermilk Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/4 tsp Dill
- 1/4 tsp Dried Chives
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Stir together the mayonnaise and sour cream. Then stir in all the seasoning.
- Then gradually whisk in the milk until the dressing is the consistency that you prefer.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and then the dressing is ready to serve!
- Notes: This recipe makes approximately 1 ½ cup of salad dressing and each serving is approximately 1 Tablespoon.
- This salad dressing will last refrigerate in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe