This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Queso Fundido is a delicious melted cheese dip. Make your favorite queso dip at home with these simple ingredients.
Easy Queso Fundido Recipe:
If you are looking for a ooey-gooey cheese dip, make this Queso Fundido dip. It is loaded with melted cheese and seasoning to create the perfect dip. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or vegetables.
This queso dip can be changed and ingredients added for delicious flavor. We have added in Mexican Chorizo or sausage for a hearty dip. Garnish this dip with pico de gallo, salsa or Jalapeños for the perfect dip.
We love making this dip in a cast iron skillet, but you can also create melty cheese in a baking dish. Serve this dip on Taco Tuesday or for an easy appetizer with all your Mexican dishes.
What is Queso Fundido?
Queso Fundido is very similar to a bowl of queso. But Queso Fundido is made with white cheese and usually made with chorizo. Regular queso is made with yellow cheese. It is very similar to queso flameado.
- All Purpose Flour
- Whole Milk
- Monterey Jack Cheese (shedded)
- Black Pepper
- Chopped Green Chilies
- Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
How to Make Queso Fundido:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Melt Butter – In a small cast iron skillet (8-10 inches), melt the butter over medium high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Step 3 – Add in Milk – Then gradually add in the milk. Whisk and cook for 3-4 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Step 4 – Stir in Cheese – Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the shredded monterey jack cheese. Stir until fully melted.
- Step 5 – Add in Seasoning – Stir in the cumin, salt, pepper and chopped green chilies. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Step 6 – Bake in the Oven – Place the pan in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Bake until the top of the cheese turns golden brown.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately with your favorite chips and enjoy.
What is the Best Cheese to Use for Queso Fundido?
There are many different types of cheeses that will make this dip so delicious. These are some of our favorite options.
- Queso Asadero
- Queso Quesadilla
- Chihuahua Cheeses
- Oaxaca Cheeses
- Mexican Cheese Blends
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Skillet – We recommend making this a cast iron skillet when making this recipe. We even use it when we make queso fundido with chorizo. I can cook and melt everything in one skillet.
- Combining Ingredients – Melt the butter and add in the flour and milk until queso has thickened. Add in the cheese and stir until everything is melted.
- Baking Queso – When using the cast iron skillet, you can easily place the skillet right in the oven. This you to bake the queso until golden brown on top.
- Serving – This queso is best served immediately with your favorite tortilla chips.
- Cooking Chorizo – Cook the chorizo in the skillet and remove excess fat by placing the chorizo on paper towels. This helps to drain the grease before mixing with the cheese.
What to Serve with Queso Fundido?
Eating queso fundido is even better with your favorite dipping ingredients.
- Tortilla Chips – There are many tortilla chips options.
- Corn Tortillas – We love to top a tortilla with this delicious dip.
- Flour Tortillas – Warm tortillas is a great dipping option.
- Spanish Rice – Serve the rice with queso on top.
- Raw Vegetables – Bell peppers, carrots or broccoli is a delicious low carb option.
Queso Fundido Variation Ideas:
- Change the Skillet – If you do not have a cast iron skillet. You can use any oven safe skillet or saucepan for this recipe.
- Add-ins – This tex mex queso dip is delicious with poblano peppers added to it for added flavor. You can also add in fire roasted tomatoes or chopped onions. We even love the combination of molten cheese and chorizo. Green chilies is a delicious addition to this queso.
- Toppings – When serving, we love to top with chopped cilantro, salsa, or pico de gallo. This is always a crowd pleasing dip.
- Sausage – This queso fundido can easily be made with breakfast sausage or pork sausage. This is a delicious option and always a family favorite.
- Seasoning – You can easily substitutes the seasoning to what you prefer. We have even red pepper flakes for added spice.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. You can even place the queso in the freezer. Place in a freezer safe container and it will last about 3 months.
How to Reheat Queso Fundido:
If you are reheating the queso fundido from frozen, make sure to allow to thaw before reheating. We place in the fridge overnight to thaw.
When thawed, you can reheat in the skillet or in the oven to enjoy the leftovers. When reheating continue to stir the queso to thicken up. If it is to thin, you may need to add in milk or heavy cream to then out the consistency.
Print Recipe for Queso Fundido:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small cast iron skillet (8-10 inches), melt the butter over medium high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Then gradually add in the milk. Whisk and cook for 3-4 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the shredded monterey jack cheese. Stir until fully melted.
- Stir in the cumin, salt, pepper and chopped green chilies. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until the top of the cheese turns golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite chips and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Queso Recipes:
- Copycat Qdoba Queso Recipe
- Copycat Chipotle Queso Blanco Recipe
- Best Mexican White Cheese Dip Recipe