Try this quick and easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas Recipe. It is delicious and perfect for a simple weeknight dinner or a date night in! Add some fresh homemade salsa and homemade white cheese dip and you’re set!
I love easy skillet dinners and my quick and easy cast iron skillet chicken fajitas recipe is a family pleaser. I can have dinner ready in under 30 minutes, which is perfect for those crazy nights when you’ve been busy or gone all day and you just aren’t sure how you’re getting dinner on the table before bedtime. From young and old the entire family loves this recipe and asks for it frequently. I’m certain you’ll add this to your regular dinner rotation!
Part of the secret to these skillet chicken fajitas is my homemade taco seasoning. Sure you can buy those ready made seasoning mix packets from the grocery store, but this taco seasoning recipe is crazy easy to make, cheaper than store-bought and to be honest… it tastes better too. It is also gluten free!
What to serve with skillet chicken fajitas:
We usually keep it pretty simple when serving cast iron skillet fajitas. You can easily add a side of instant pot refried beans, Spanish rice or homemade crockpot white cheese dip to make it a full tex mex meal. Of course, you’ll want to have all of your favorite condiments on hand like shredded cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, and who could forget chips and salsa?!
I’ve often heard that you can tell whether a Mexican Restaurant is a good one by their fajitas. I mean, it sounds like pretty solid advice to me because really they’re a classic and oh so good. If you’re wanting all of the flavors you love from those restaurant fajitas without leaving home, this is the recipe for you! Seriously, they are loaded with flavor and cleanup is so easy!!
Ingredients for skillet chicken fajitas:
- 3 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 8 bell peppers, julienned (I like to do a two of each green, red, orange and yellow)
- 1 large Spanish yellow onion, peeled and cut into strips
- 2-3 Tablespoons canola oil (olive oil works, too, if you want a healthier option)
- 2 Tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning (or chili powder if you do not have taco seasoning)
- lime juice, if desired
- 10 small flour tortillas
How to make skillet chicken fajitas in 20 minutes:
- Add chicken to a large bowl and add the majority of the seasoning on top, stirring to mix.
- Pour canola oil into the cast iron skillet and begin to heat on medium heat.
- Add the seasoned chicken to begin to cook. Continue to cook the chicken until it turns brown and chicken is cooked through. I like to cut into a piece of chicken and make sure it is no longer pink on the inside.
- Add the pepper and onion to the skillet with remaining seasoning. Stir to blend all together.
- Continue to cook until the peppers are tender but not limp, stirring occasionally so that they don’t burn.
- When the veggies are done, it is ready to serve! Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top before serving, if desired.
How to heat up tortillas:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Wrap the tortillas in groups of five in foil.
-Warm in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
-In groups of five heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or more as needed. (If more is needed heat in segments of 30 seconds each time),
This recipe is so easy to make but tastes amazing. My family absolutely loves it. We’ve served this up to guests and they were amazed at just how quickly these skillet chicken fajitas came together. You can also just serve the fajitas in a lettuce wrap or over a bed of rice for a completely different kind of meal. This is so versatile that it is easy to make it a regular on your menu. 🙂
Instant pot steak fajitas recipe comes together with only 5 ingredients for a great dinner.
Skillet recipes make dinner a breeze and this easy Skillet Pasta and Sausage recipe does not disappoint.
Try these other easy fajita recipes:
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas