Learn how to make perfectly grilled chicken for the best Grilled Chicken Sandwich. Choose your favorite toppings for a super easy lunch or dinner.
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
With just a few pantry ingredients, the marinade for this chicken is easy to prepare. However, it results in tender and juicy chicken every single time.
We love to make Grilled Chicken Sandwiches for an easy but filling lunch or dinner. Toss in a few easy sides for an easy but great meal.
This meal takes just a few minutes to grill and leftovers are just as amazing. Make this today for the best meal without much work.
It is filling and healthy while being really easy. This is such a great dinner option any night of the week.
For the Chicken:
- Small Chicken Breasts, (boneless and skinless)
- Vegetable Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
For the Sandwiches:
- Buns. Hamburger, brioche or anything you prefer.
- Lettuce. Lettuce leaves or shredded work well.
- Tomatoes. Thinly sliced tomatoes are best.
- Red Onions. This is our favorite but white onion is another option.
- Dressing of Choice (mayonnaise, mustard or honey mustard)
How to make a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Make the marinade. Combine all the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Add in the chicken, toss well to coat the chicken. Marinade the chicken for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill. Use medium high heat set to 400 degrees F. Rub the grill grates with oil so that the chicken does not stick. This is important so you don’t end up with a mess while grilling.
- Put the chicken on the grill. Place the chicken directly on the grill grates and grill the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Let the chicken rest. Move the chicken to a separate plate to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Make the sandwiches. Then it’s time to assemble the sandwiches. Spread your dressing of choice on one side of the hamburger buns.
Then top it with lettuce, tomatoes and the red onion. Top with chicken and then sandwich is ready to serve.
Sauces for Grilled Chicken sandwich:
- Ketchup. This classic condiment is a kid favorite in our house.
- Mayo. Plain or flavored mayonnaise works great.
- Buffalo Sauce. Spice things up and add a little buffalo sauce to your sandwich.
- Homemade Barbecue Sauce . You can use store bought or homemade for a zesty chicken sandwich.
- Honey Mustard. This is delicious on the chicken as well as Chick-fil-Sauce.
- Ranch. Drizzle ranch on the buns for tangy and creamy option.
What to serve with Chicken sandwich:
- Toasted buns or brioche buns. You can butter the bottom bun and heat before placing the chicken breast on it.
- Sliced Cheese. American, Swiss, Provolone and Cheddar make great options.
- Lettuce, Sliced Tomato and Onion. Any of these are all 3 make this a deluxe sandwich option.
- Pickles. Try using dill or sweet on these chicken sandwiches.
- Homemade French Fries. This classic side dish is always a hit when we serve grilled chicken sandwiches.
- Baked Mac and Cheese. Pop this in the oven to bake while the chicken is on the grill.
- Tropical Fruit Salad. The delicious blend of fruit has the best glaze. This tropical fruit salad is perfect with grilled chicken.
How to store:
You can store the leftover grilled chicken breast in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days. It’s best to store the chicken separately instead of storing the assembled sandwiches.
When ready to enjoy a sandwich, assemble each one at that time. This will prevent the buns from becoming soggy.
The leftovers make delicious salads, wraps and more. We like to dice the chicken and store in the fridge. It is ready to go for a quick lunch and helps to prevent us from getting take out.
You can also place the chicken in one container and everything you need for a sandwich in another container. This makes it so easy to grab and go on your way to work. We like to also do this on the way to sporting events and activities in the evenings.
- It’s best to use an internal read meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken has reached a safe internal temperature. Insert into the thickest portion of the chicken. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees.
- Marinate the chicken for maximum flavor at least 30 minutes but optimally 4 hours. This will provide the best flavor.
- Prior to placing the chicken in the marinade, pierce each chicken breast with a fork. This will help the marinade to filtrate each piece of meat.
- Pound the chicken prior to grilling. This will help to ensure each piece is the same size and not too thick. You will also get evenly grilled chicken when they are the same size.
- You can use a grill pan if you prefer.
- Substitute olive oil for vegetable oil. You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar. Either of these substitutions taste great in this versatile recipe.
- Use slider style buns to make small sandwiches for parties or younger children with smaller appetites. This is great for parties and you can set out a topping bar.
When is grilled chicken ready?
To ensure safety, use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is fully cooked. It needs to be 165 degrees internally to safely eat.
You need to insert the instant read thermometer into the thickest portion of the chicken breasts. This simple step makes it easy to accurately know when the chicken is ready to eat.
It also helps to prevent the need of cutting each chicken breast to see if it looks done. Not only is this not accurate but it lets the juices escape. This will in turn result in less juicy chicken.
Enjoy this wonderful recipe.
Now that you know the secrets to the best grilled chicken and making the perfect sandwich, give this a try. It is so easy and you can make several at once.
We prefer this to take out and our budget reaps the rewards. The chicken is so juicy and flavorful. I think you will love it as well.
It is easy enough to make during busy weeknights for a great meal. Everyone will enjoy this easy grilled chicken on a sandwich. Plus, the options for leftovers are endless.
Print this Grilled Chicken Sandwich recipe below:
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- For the Chicken:
- 4 Small Chicken Breasts boneless and skinless
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- For the Sandwiches:
- Red Onions
- Dressing of Choice mayonnaise, mustard or honey mustard
- Combine all the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Add in the chicken, toss well to coat the chicken. Marinade the chicken for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill over medium high heat (400 degrees F) and rub the grill grates with oil so that the chicken does not stick.
- Place the chicken directly on the grill grates and grill the chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Move the chicken to a separate plate to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Then it’s time to assemble the sandwiches. Spread your dressing of choice on one side of the hamburger buns. Then top it with lettuce, tomatoes and the red onion. Top with chicken and then sandwich is ready to serve.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe