Instant pot broccoli cheese soup is creamy and easy to make. No velveeta needed and the pressure cooker makes this in minutes.
Instant pot broccoli cheese soup
When I think about comfort food, I think about broccoli cheese soup. Pressure cooking this soup makes dinnertime even easier
Each bite is rich and cheesy with broccoli blended in. We have been told that this is even better than the Panera Bread broccoli cheese soup.
This soup is always a hit and so amazing. I love how fast and simple the pressure cooker makes this soup. You can go from instant pot to table in literally minutes.
We also have a crock pot broccoli cheese soup recipe for the days you will be away and need to slow cook the soup. If you don’t have an Instant pot, you can still enjoy broccoli soup in the slow cooker.
Either way, this soup is so tasty and much better than anything from a restaurant. Enjoy delicious food at home and save money.
Let’s make broccoli cheese soup instant pot recipe.
This is the best soup and very fast in the instant pot. Dinner will be so easy when you make this easy recipe.
- broccoli – Chop the broccoli pieces into small pieces.
- cheddar cheese shredded
- onion- diced
- minced garlic
- celery – diced small
- chicken broth – You can also use Chicken stock
- heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- corn starch
How to make instant pot broccoli cheese soup
First, turn the instant pot to the sauté setting.
Second, add the butter, onions and celery. Then sauté until the onions are soft and add the garlic.
Cook this for about 1 to 2 minutes until you start to smell the delicious aroma of the garlic.
Next, add the broccoli, chicken broth, salt and pepper. You can also use vegetable broth if you prefer to make this soup vegetarian.
Then put the lid on and set the valve on the lid to the “seal” position. Let this cook on high pressure for 1 minute.
Once finished, do a quick release to so that the pressure can release from the instant pot.
Get out a small mixing bowl and mix together the heavy cream and cornstarch. Once combined, turn the instant pot to the sauté setting and add the cream mixture.
Keep stirring until the soup starts to boil. Next, slowly add the cheddar cheese.
We prefer to hand grate the cheese instead of using the bags of shredded cheese. It melts much smoother.
Sharp cheddar gives the soup a great flavor but use what you prefer.
Allow this to heat and combine until all the cheese is mixed together really good.
That is it! Just turn off the instant pot and serve.
I told you it was so simple and easy! Anyone can make this.
Can you use frozen broccoli instead?
Frozen broccoli works great in this broccoli soup and it is a great way to save time. Frozen and fresh broccoli will both work the same in this recipe, and no need to change the cooking time.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup
You definitely want something to dip into the yummy soup. Bread is my personal favorite and it is perfect for dipping and getting every last drop of soup.
Here are my favorite things to serve with broccoli cheese soup.
- bread bowl
- homemade rolls – We love these easy dinner rolls or Garlic Bread Cheese Sticks.
- saltines or oyster crackers
Tips for pressure cooker broccoli cheese soup:
- Hand shred the Cheese – This soup is best when shredding the cheese by hand. The pre-shredded bags of cheese do not melt as smoothly in the soup.
For the creamiest soup with the best consistency, it is definitely best to shred the cheese yourself.
- Use an Immersion blender: You can use an immersion blender if you prefer a more pureed soup. This will result in a really smooth and creamy soup if don’t care for the large pieces of broccoli.
- Cook longer for softer broccoli: If you are using bigger pieces of broccoli add 2-3 minutes to the pressure cooking time.
This will insure that the broccoli if extra soft and will fall apart. Naturally giving you smaller pieces of broccoli in your soup.
How to store Leftover Broccoli Cheese Soup
Leftover broccoli cheese soup can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To reheat, heat over medium heat on the stove top or in the microwave.
How to Freeze Broccoli Cheese Soup
This soup freezes great. Allow it to cool completely before freezing. Place the soup in a freezer safe air tight container.
Freeze the soup for up to 2 months. Make sure you check out our How to Freeze Soup post.
When reheating leftovers, stir in some additional chicken broth to get the consistency you like. The the soup thickens as it cools which is why you will need to add more broth.
You will love broccoli cheese soup instant pot recipe.
Even better, save time and money with this soup. It is a great gluten free recipe and proves that you can serve amazing meals for your family without breaking the bank.
Plus, it all comes together in just minutes. I think you are going to really love this soup.
Print this instant pot broccoli Cheddar soup recipe:
Instant pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 cups broccoli diced small
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup celery diced small
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- Turn the instant pot to the sauté setting. Add in the butter, onions and celery. Sauté until the onions are soft. Add in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is aromatic.
- Then stir in the broccoli, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on and set the valve on the lid to the “seal” position. Cook on high pressure for 1 minute.
- After the cook time, do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot.
- Stir together the heavy whipping cream and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Switch the instant pot to the sauté setting and stir in the cream mixture.
- Continue to stir until the soup starts to boil and then slowly stir in the cheddar cheese. Continue to heat and stir until all the cheese is incorporated and well combined.
- Then turn off the instant pot. Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe