This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crockpot broccoli cheese soup is rich and creamy. Each bite is the best comfort food and so easy in the slow cooker.
Crockpot broccoli cheddar soup
Broccoli and cheese soup is one of my favorite types of soup. I love all the cheese combined with broccoli in a delicious broth.
You know I love using the crock pot so I came up with the best slow cooker recipe for this soup. It is perfect for busy nights because you can come home to dinner being just about ready.
Everything goes into the slow cooker for a great soup. During the last few minutes, the cheese gets added. It really could not be any simpler.
Each bite is so amazing and I think you will really like this easy recipe.
You may also love Crock Pot Beer Cheese Soup Recipe.
- broccoli -diced small
- sharp cheddar cheese- shredded
- onion -diced
- minced garlic
- celery -diced small
- chicken broth
- heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- corn starch
You will need a crock pot for this recipe. I used a 6 quart crock pot and it worked great for this recipe.
You can also make Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese soup if you prefer to use your instant pot instead of your crock pot for this recipe.
How to make crockpot broccoli cheese soup:
First, cut the broccoli into small bite size pieces. Add the broccoli, butter, onion, celery and minced garlic in the crock pot.
Second, mix the chicken broth with the cornstarch and stir this mixture into the crock pot.
Finally, cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. The cook time will vary based on your crock pot. Watch closely and it’s ready when the broccoli is tender.
Once everything has finished cooked, stir in the cream and the shredded cheese.
Add the lid back on and let this cook on high for 30 minutes until all of the cheese has melted.
Give everything a good stir before serving and enjoy!
Why did my Broccoli Cheese Soup separate?
This can happen when the temperature is too hot or if you add the cheese and milk too soon in the cooking process.
We suggest adding the cheese and cream right before serving and this should help to make sure the soup does not separate.
How do you make broccoli cheddar soup thicker?
The initial cornstarch slurry should do the trick. However, if the soup is still not thick enough, more can be added.
Just make another slurry with cornstarch and water or broth and add to the mixture. To make a slurry, you typically use a 1 to 2 ratio.
For example, if you use a tablespoon of cornstarch, you will use 2 tablespoons of water.
Can you use frozen broccoli?
Yes, you can. I suggest letting it thaw out first though.
Either fresh or frozen can be used.
Bread is a must when eating broccoli cheese soup. I always love to dip the bread into the delicious sauce. It is heavenly.
These are a few favorites and they are all super easy. You could also pick up a loaf of French bread at the bakery.
Either way, you definitely need some crusty bread to serve with this recipe.
- Easy Dinner Rolls
- Garlic Bread Cheese Sticks Recipe
- How to make homemade garlic bread
- Also check out What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup for more sides ideas
Learn how to freeze bread and you can just grab it from the freezer to eat with soup.
More ideas to try:
- Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.
- Add carrots to the mixture. I like to use really thin pieces of carrots. The combination of the broccoli, carrots and cheese will taste just like Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
- Frozen or fresh broccoli works fine in this recipe.
- Evaporated milk can be used instead of heavy whipping cream.
- Try adding a little bit of garlic powder to the soup.
Tips and tricks:
- Try to hand shred the cheese. Pre-shredded bags of cheese don’t melt as smoothly in the soup. The consistency is much better when you shred the cheese yourself.
- Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days. You’ll need to add more chicken broth to the soup when reheating as the soup will thicken as it cools.
- Prior to adding the heavy cream and cheese, you can use an immersion blender if you prefer. Using this will make the soup really smooth and creamy if you don’t like the large pieces of broccoli. Just do what you prefer.
- Freeze this soup to enjoy later. Just let it cool completely before freezing and then make sure to store inside an airtight container.
How to Store:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 4-5 days. The soup will thicken as it set so add more broth to the soup when reheating to thin it back out.
You can also freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months in a freezer safe bag or container.
Everyone will enjoy this soup!
It has the best flavor and tastes amazing. Broccoli cheddar soup is the best comfort food.
The soup is really delicious and such a great lunch or dinner idea. Serve it with bread and a salad. Another idea is a sandwich.
The possibilities are endless for this delicious soup. I think you will really enjoy it.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese soup is budget friendly and super easy to make. Plus, it tastes better than what you can buy at the grocery store.
Crockpot broccoli cheese soup
- Crockpot I use this Crockpot all the time and it's great.
- Cut the broccoli into small bite size pieces and place the broccoli, butter, onion, celery and minced garlic in the crock pot.
- Mix the chicken broth with the cornstarch and stir this mixture into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- After this cooking time, stir in the heavy cream and the shredded cheese. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Stir thoroughly right before serving and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More easy crock pot soup recipes:
- Crock pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Easy Crock pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Ham & Bean Soup Crock pot recipe
- Crock Pot Italian Chicken Soup Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
This makes an easy side dish as well Check out Crockpot Side Dishes.