Everyone will love Crock Pot Ranch Style Beans for a hearty and delicious side dish. Each bite has just the perfect amount of seasoning and the slow cooker does all the work.
Crock Pot Ranch Style Beans Recipe:
This slow cooker ranch style beans recipe is one of my favorite side dishes to make. Ranch Beans Recipe starts with dried pinto beans, simple seasoning and tomato paste to make a rich and hearty side.
I adapted a recipe I found awhile back and made it my own and it is amazing. No need to soak beans overnight. Simply place everything in the slow cooker and let it do all the work. In about 8 hours you will have delicious ranch style beans.
This recipe is so easy since soaking beans is not required. If you love making beans in the crock pot, try one of these other recipes – Crock Pot Refried Beans or Crock Pot Black Beans.
What are Ranch Style Beans?
Ranch Style Beans start with pinto beans and are cooked in a chili type gravy. They are similar to bake beans but not as sweet. They are usually made without meat but with simple seasoning.
Ranch Style beans can be served with many different dishes. We have served them with our Mexican dishes or as a side to our grilled meats.
Ingredients for Ranch Beans:
- Dried Pinto Beans
- Tomato Paste
- Chopped Onions
- Minced Garlic
- Chili Powder
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Dried Marjoram
I told you it was SO easy to make this and very inexpensive too.
How to Make Ranch Beans in the Crock Pot:
- Step 1 – Add ingredients to slow cooker – Place all of the ingredients in the crock pot in order. I like to put the water in last because it tends to ‘mix’ everything nicely together.
- Step 2 – Garlic Substitute – If you do not like to mince garlic yourself, you can substitute 3-4 teaspoons of bottled minced garlic. (This is an indulgence, but it is a big convenience and sometimes you can find it marked down. Plus, one little bottle will last a long time.)
- Step 3 – Slow Cook – Cook on low 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- Step 4 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve hot and toss a pinch (or two) of shredded cheese on top for a little extra yum.
- Seasoning – The seasoning can be changed to what your family prefers. Feel free to add in more red pepper flakes or hot sauce to make it more spicier.
- Add Meat – Ranch style beans are usually made without meat but you can definitely add in some. For a delicious Mexican food option add in some tex mex ground beef. Ham or bacon is also a great option.
- Types of Beans – Ranch Style beans is similar to a Bush’s chili beans. They are usually made with kidney beans but you can easily use ranch style beans as a substitute in your chili.
- Onion and Garlic – We like to use fresh ingredients to make this recipe. But you can use dried onions and minced garlic for this recipe.
- Make it Sweeter – You can also try adding brown sugar and a ham hock to this bean recipe. It will taste more like baked beans instead of ranch style beans but still delicious.
Easy Slow Cooker Ranch Style Beans Recipe:
Cooking the beans is that easy. The crock pot literally does all the work for you. Everything gets blended together for just an amazing flavor.
Come back in 8 hours and this delicious meal will be ready to gobble up. If you need it sooner, try 5 hours on high instead.
Serve and top with a little shredded cheese for a great meal.
Keep reading for the full recipe below.
This is Budget Friendly.
If your family loves these as much as we do, learn how to make them easily and quickly in the crock pot. You can make a huge batch for very little money or effort.
Once you make this easy recipe, you won’t buy the cans at the store anymore. These are fabulous and our entire family gobbles them up.
Dried beans are so cheap and inexpensive. This really is a budget friendly meal packed with flavor.
What to Serve with Ranch Style Beans:
There are many ways to serve these beans. You can serve them with your Mexican Recipes, grilled or baked meats.
- Cornbread – You can make a meal out of these beans and serve with cornbread. We love this Easy Homemade Cornbread Recipe and Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Recipe.
- Pulled Chicken – Or serve the beans as an easy side dish. They go great with these Crock Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken Recipe.
Recipe Tips and Tricks:
- Large Bowl – Feel free to mix in the seasoning in a bowl prior to pouring in the slow cooker.
- Add in Water – I like to put the water in last because it tends to ‘mix’ everything nicely together.
- Minced Garlic – If you do not like to mince garlic yourself, you can substitute 3-4 teaspoons of bottled minced garlic.
- Stove Top Option – If you prefer, you can make this recipe on the stove top. But you will need to soak the beans first prior to cooking.
How to Store:
Place the leftover beans in an air tight container in the fridge. They will last about 3 days if stored properly.
We recommend reheating on the stove top or in the microwave.
How to Freeze Ranch Style Beans:
Place the beans in a freezer safe container for up to 1 month.
Print Crock Pot Ranch Style Beans:
Crock Pot Ranch Style Beans Recipe
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 7 cups water
- Place all of the ingredients in the crock pot in order. I like to put the water in last because it tends to ‘mix’ everything nicely together.
- If you do not like to mince garlic yourself, you can substitute 3-4 teaspoons of bottled minced garlic. (This is an indulgence, but it is a big convenience and sometimes you can find it marked down. Plus, one little bottle will last a long time.)
- Cook on low 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- Serve hot and toss a pinch (or two) of shredded cheese on top for a little extra yum!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other easy crock pot recipes:
- Crock Pot Baked Pasta with Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- Crockpot Hamburger Helper Recipe
Be sure to check out all of our delicious Crock Pot Recipes here.
Hi! Tried this for Father’s Day and loved the flavors. So easy! However, my beans never softened well in this recipe, even after soaking them overnight before cooking. They stayed rather hard! What’s your trick? Thank you!
Tomato causes beans to resist softening. Cook the beans in everything else all day and half an hour before serving add the tomato paste. I do this when I first get home from work and then change my shoes, take the dog out, etc. By the time I’m ready to eat the tomato’s worked in and I have soft beans.
I was watching Lidia Bastianich and she also says “NEVER” salt your beans before you bake them. That too keeps your beans from softening. I would add the salt at the same time you add the tomato products.
Hello. Love this recipe. The only thing I did differently was to soak the beans over night so as to not have as much gas and have to use Bean-o after eating them. They were really great and I have always hated the canned beans.
Can I use 8 cups of water and slow cook for 10 hours?
I’ve made this before and it turns out great! I’ve added some smoked turkey drumstick and it’s yummy!