This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If you are unable to grill your bratwurst, then these steps will show you How to Cook Brats in the oven. They will still be moist and delicious and easy to prepare.
Easy Oven Baked Brats Recipe:
My family loves when I make Brats on the grill. But during the cooler months, we decided to bake bratwurst in the oven and they turned out so juicy and flavorful.
We love grill brats during the grilling seasoning. During the summer months, grilling out burgers and brats is a weekly thing. But making the brats in the oven are delicious and east to do.
These steps and tips will help you make bratwurst in the oven. You might also like these other Brat recipes
Why should I cook Bratwurst in the oven?
Cooking brats in the oven has it perks. When you get a craving during the winter month for a bratwurst, the oven is a great option.
- Free’s up your Grill – If you grill is full of hamburgers and hot dogs, toss your brats in the oven. They will all get done about the same time.
- Still Gives you the Char texture – Cooking your brats in the oven takes less than 20 minutes and still get that char texture that the grill does.
- Plump and Juicy – Putting the brats in the oven still helps them to get plump and juicy and full of flavor.
- Make a Sheet Pan Dinner – Toss the bratwurst with some slice vegetables to have a complete meal in the oven.
- Quick and Easy – We love that making the bratwurst in the oven is quick and easy. No need to heat the grill, when everything can be done in the oven.
What you need?
Very little is needed to make brats in the oven.
- Casserole dish or Baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- Meat Thermometer
- Knife to Slice
- Bratwurst (uncooked)
How to Cook Brats in the Oven:
- Prepare Oven – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place Brats on a baking sheet – Line a baking sheet with foil and place the uncooked bratwurst (make sure that they are not touching).
- Bake the Brats – Bake for 10 minutes. Then flip the bratwurst and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes until the bratwursts are brown and have reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Serve and Enjoy – Allow the bratwurst to cool slightly and then they are ready to enjoy!
What kind of Sausages?
- It will depend on what type of sausage that you prefer. There are many different options such as pork, beef, chicken, turkey and Italian Sausages. They even have sweet, mild or hot sausage,
- Then pick the thickness you prefer and cook accordingly.
How long to Cook Brats in the Oven:
We recommend letting your brats cook on one side for about 10 minutes. Then flip the brats with tongs and let them cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. If you have bigger brats, then they may take a little longer to cook.
If you purchase bratwurst that are uncooked, make sure to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. The meat thermometer should read a temperature of 160 degrees when they are done.
Make sure to let the brats rest in their juices. Letting them rest for about 5 minutes allows for juicy, flavorful brats.
How to Make Beer Brats in the Oven:
Making beer brats in the oven is easy and simple process:
- Marinate Brats – Place brats in a baking dish and with a can of beer pour into the pan. Let the brats marinated for about an hour.
- Bake Brats – Once they have marinated, place brats in a baking dish that is lined with onions and bake for about 15 minutes and then flip. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Check Internal Temperature – Check internal temperature of brats and then serve.
Is it better to cook Brats on the stove or in the oven?
Cooking the brats on the stove is better if you are just cooking a few brats. But cooking in the oven is best if you are cooking a lot of brats.
Some people say that cooking brats on the stove is better than cooking on the grill. If you do plan on cooking on the stove, we recommend getting a cast iron skillet.
Cast iron skillets conduct heat better and are the best way to getting that good sear on the meat.
We have even cooked the brats in the air fryer for an amazing juicy meal.
How to cook Frozen Brats in the Oven:
- The Brats will need an additional 15 to 30 minutes to the cook time.
- Place brats on a baking sheet and no thawing needed.
- Place in a preheated oven and let them cook for about 15 minutes.
- Check them at this time, pulling them apart if they were frozen together.
- Cook until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
What to serve with Bratwurst?
- Cook sides with sausage – Make a sheet full of vegetables and brats for a complete meal. We like to add peppers and onions for extra flavoring.
- Potatoes – Make sure bake potatoes or mashed potatoes
- Steamed Vegetables – Steam broccoli or cauliflower separately.
- Salad – You can serve a cucumber salad, a german potato salad or a pasta salad.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate any leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5-7 days.
We love trying different ways to use the leftovers into a complete different meal. You can add cooked brats to your favorite soups, pasta salad, pasta dish with tomato sauce or serve with rice and a vegetable.
You can also freeze bratwurst by storing in a freezer safe container. They will stay good for up to 3 months.
Print Recipe here for How to Cook Brats in the Oven:
How to Cook Brats in the Oven
- 6 Brats (uncooked)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Tin a baking sheet with foil and place the uncooked bratwurst (make sure that they are not touching).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then flip the bratwurst and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes until the bratwursts are brown and have reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Allow the bratwurst to cool slightly and then they are ready to enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe