This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Simple process of How to Cook Bratwurst on a Stove. Learn the best way to cook Bratwurst with simple seasoning for a hearty dinner idea.
Easy Bratwurst Recipe:
Grilling out is one of my favorite ways to cook Bratwurst. But once the colder weather hits grilling outside is not always an option. That is why I started cooking my favorite meat indoors on the stove.
This simple recipe for cooking Bratwurst on the stovetop is easy to do and you still get the charred texture and juicy on the inside.
We love that there is no preparation needed when making bratwurst. Once you heat the skillet, open the package and begin cooking.
You can even cook these Bratwurst with peppers and onions. Slice and serve with rice or place on a bun. They are a crowd favorite and are easy to prepare.
What is Bratwurst?
Bratwurst is German sausage made of pork, veal or beef but Bratwurst is most commonly made of Pork. Bratwurst is usually served with potato salad or sauerkraut and topped on a white bun.
There are two types of Brats that you can get at your local grocery store. They have brats that are uncooked or precooked brats. The precooked brats are usually located where the hot dogs are.
If you are wanting the raw brats, they are usually located in the meat market counter.
Can you Cook Bratwurst in a Pan?
Cooking bratwurst in a pan is easy to do especially during the cooler weather. We recommend using a cast iron skillet as the texture cooks similar to making the bratwurst on the grill. We like to cook both sides and then cook in broth until fully cooked.
Bratwurst can also be cooked in the oven or in the air fryer. Seasoned with simple salt and pepper but you use any season you prefer.
- Vegetable Oil
- Chicken Broth
How to Cook Bratwurst on a Stove:
- Step 1 – Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Spread the vegetable oil throughout the bottom of the cast iron pan.
- Step 2 – Place the bratwurst in the pan and fry brats on both sides (2-3 minutes per side).
- Step 3 – Pour the broth into the pan, reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the bratwursts have an internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. Add onion and peppers here if you prefer.
- Step 4 – Season the brats with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 – Remove, serve immediately and enjoy.
How Long to Cook Bratwurst on the Stove:
Cooking Bratwurst on the stove doesn’t take long. We think cooking on the stove in a cast iron skillet allows for the brats to cook evenly and thoroughly.
Cook Brats about 2 minutes on each side and then add in the broth to skillet and cover. Allow the bratwurst to simmer in the broth for about 10 to 15 minutes. This adds flavor and makes the moist cooking in the broth.
Make sure to use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure that the brats are cooked to a safe internal temperature before eating. Cooking time will vary.
Can I Cook Brats in Beer?
Cooking brats in beer is a great way to add flavor. In fact, we have an easy Beer Brats Recipe that is easy to make with simple ingredients.
This is a great way to jazz up your bratwurst but adding flavor of the beer. Broth is a great option to cook the brats in but beer flavor brats adds in more flavor.
Use what you prefer or what you have on hand. You can even cook the brats in a cup of water.
What to Serve with Brats?
- Cook sides with sausage – Add in peppers and onions with the sausage and serve over rice. This is an amazing meal and one that have often.
- Potatoes – Make some bake potatoes or mashed potatoes and side of vegetables for a complete meal.
- Steamed Vegetables – Roast broccoli or cauliflower on a sheet pan for an easy side.
- Salad – You can serve a cucumber salad, a German potato salad or a pasta salad.
How to Serve Brats:
When serving brats, we like to serve them topped with sauerkraut in a hot dog bun. You can also cook peppers and sliced onions with rice for a complete meal idea.
We like to toast the bun so it is crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Add mustard then your brats for the perfect weeknight meal.
How to Store:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Why should I cook Bratwurst on the Stove?
Cooking brats on the stove is easy to do. When you get a craving during the winter month for a bratwurst, the stovetop is a great option.
- Free’s up your Grill – If you grill is full of hamburgers and hot dogs, toss your brats in a cast iron skillet. They will all get done about the same time.
- Still Gives you the Char texture – Cooking your brats in the stovetop takes less than 20 minutes and still get that char texture that the grill does.
- Plump and Juicy – Putting the brats on the stove top still helps them to get plump and juicy and full of flavor.
- Skillet Dinner – Cook peppers and onions with the brats in the skillet. Add a side of rice for an amazing dinner idea.
- Quick and Easy – We love that making the bratwurst in the skillet is quick and easy. No need to heat the grill, when everything can be done indoors.
Print Recipe here for How to Cook Bratwurst on a Stove:
How to Cook Bratwurst on a Stove
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Spread the vegetable oil throughout the bottom of the cast iron pan.
- Place the bratwurst in the pan and brown both sides (2-3 minutes per side).
- Pour the broth into the pan, reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the bratwursts have an internal temperature for 160 degrees F.
- Season the brats with salt and pepper.
- Remove, serve immediately and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Sausage Recipes:
- Easy Cheesy Pasta and Sausage Skillet Dinner
- How to Cook Italian Sausage
- Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers Recipe