This Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers recipe is easy to throw together in minutes but tastes like it’s been cooking all day. I love having a option besides chicken to prepare in my slow cooker and this crock pot recipe is a family favorite.
Easy Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers Recipe:
Making Peppers and Sausage in Crock Pot is the perfect weeknight meal. We love how all the ingredients are placed in the crock pot to cook on low. You can serve over rice or we love placing it a hoagie.
This hearty and delicious comfort food can be tossed together in about 15 minutes and it taste like you spent hours preparing it. The sausage comes out tender, juicy and full of flavor.
Can you put Uncooked Sausages in Slow Cooker?
Yes, you definitely put the sausage in the slow cooker. Cooking sausages in the crock pot is so easy. I love cooking them this way.
It is not necessary to brown the sausages in olive oil prior to putting them in your crock pot. Just throw them in with the other ingredients and I promise it’ll taste amazing.
Ingredients for Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers:
- Italian Sweet Sausage Links or mild Italian Sausage
- Red Peppers
- Green Bell Peppers
- Italian seasoning
- Minced Garlic
- Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Hot Dog Buns or Cooked Rice
Even though it’s only a few ingredients, the combination is delicious!
How to Make Sausage and Peppers in a Crockpot
- Blend Sauce Ingredients – Mix together the tomato sauce and seasoning in a mixing bowl.
- Layer ingredients in the Crock Pot – Combine everything in the crock pot except for the buns or rice. The sausage peppers and onions all placed in the crock pot and covered with the tomato sauce mixture.
- Cover and Cook – Cover crock pot with lid and cook on low for 8 hours or you can cook on high for 4 hours.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve the sausage on hot dog buns, hoagie rolls, on rice, or just slice the sausage and enjoy. I like to season with salt and pepper.
Can I put Frozen Sausages in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can put the sausages in the crock pot frozen and then cook for 8 hours on low. This works great and you no longer have to worry about defrosting anything for dinner.
We also love to freeze peppers, so this is the perfect recipe to throw the vegetables that are in your freezer.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
This recipe is so filling, you can serve the sausages on your favorite type of bun and it’s ready for dinner.
I also love serving this recipe with my favorite pasta salad as a side dish. Here are 3 that I absolutely love and of course, they are also easy to make!
Crock Pot Italian Sausage and Peppers Tips:
- Seasoning – We used dried Italian Seasoning, but you can also use fresh herbs.
- Peppers – We like to combine different color bell peppers. Red, Yellow, and Green Bell Pepper all work great in this recipe.
- Cut Peppers and Onions Thick – When we prepare that onions and peppers for this recipe, we like to cut them thick so they do not dissolve in the sauce.
- Hoagies – We like to warm our hoagies in the oven to give them that crispy texture. Add the sausage to the hoagies for an amazing lunch or dinner idea.
Recipe Variation ideas:
This recipe is so versatile, there are tons of alternations you can make to this recipe to make it work for your family.
- Tomato Sauce Variation – If you are out of tomato sauce, you can easily make crockpot sausage and peppers with crushed tomatoes, marinara sauce, or diced tomatoes with green chiles. Either one would taste great in this simple recipe.
- Use Chicken Broth – If your family does not like tomatoes, you can make crock pot sausage and peppers without tomatoes. I would double the chicken broth so it doesn’t dry out and just leave the tomato sauce out of the slow cooker.
- Add Pasta – You can mix in cooked pasta in with the cooked sausage and peppers.
- Mix in Potatoes – Add in some slices of potatoes with the other ingredients.
- Chicken – The combination of chicken, sausage and peppers is so good. This mixture is perfect served over some rice.
- Add in Some Spice – If you like sausage and peppers spicy, mix in some jalapenos or some red chili flakes.
- Mix in some different Vegetables – Mix in some carrots, squash or even mushrooms with the sausage and peppers.
- Sausage – There are different varieties of sausage flavors. You can use mild, medium or hot. Use what works for your family.
Print recipe for crock pot sausage and peppers below:
Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
- 2 19 oz packages Italian Sweet Sausages (the big links)
- 2 red peppers sliced
- 2 green peppers sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- hot dog buns or cooked rice, to serve
- Combine everything in the crock pot except for the buns or rice.
- Cover crock pot with lid and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve the sausage on hot dog buns, on rice, or just slice the sausage and enjoy.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe