My family absolutely loves anything with the word sausage in it and I love a simple recipe. This Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers Recipe meets both of these requirements and is perfect if you are following a low carb or keto diet.
Keto Peppers and Sausage Recipe:
We love using our instant pot. It makes for a busy weeknight dinner and this Keto Italian sausage recipes is one of our favorite. It is loaded with flavors and only requires a few ingredients.
Keto Sausage and Peppers are delicious and low carb but can easily be served over rice or pasta. It is hearty and delicious and even though it is keto friendly, my kids can’t get enough.
This keto recipe cooks in less than 30 minutes and the results are a delicious one pot meal. This recipe is even delicious in the crock pot, but when in a rush the instant pot does all the work.
- Italian Sweet Sausages
- Red Peppers
- Green Bell Peppers
- Large Onion, sliced
- Italian seasoning
- Minced Garlic
- Tomato Sauce 15 oz
- Chicken Broth
How to Make Sausage and Peppers in the Instant Pot:
- Step 1 – Combine everything in the Instant pot. Add lid and set the valve to sealing.
- Step 2 – Set the pressure (high pressure) to 20 minutes.
- Step 3 – When it is finished cooking do a quick release to remove the pressure.
- Step 4 – Slice the sausage and serve.
How Long to Cook Frozen Sausage in Instant Pot?
My favorite thing about electric pressure cookers is that you can take food from frozen to an amazingly cooked meal quickly. You can cook frozen sausage in the instant pot as well.
I would increase the pressure cooking time to 25-30 minutes depending on the size of the sausage links that you chose for this recipe.
- Preparing Onions and Peppers – Make sure to slice the peppers and onions about the same size. This allow them to cook evenly and not become mushy.
- Pressure Cooking – We like to cook this low carb sausage and peppers on high pressure and then do a quick release.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer. We love the Italian Seasoning blend, but you easily use fresh herbs.
- Peppers – You can use different vegetables in this recipe. Peppers work great, but you can also use broccoli or squash.
- Onions – Substitute the onions for yellow or sweet onions.
- Sausage – There are a variety of sausage to use this recipe. We love the flavor of the Italian Sausage Links, but you can also choose from turkey, pork or chicken. There are also sweet, mild, or hot options. You can even use smoked sausage.
- Garlic – We love the flavor of garlic, you can choose from minced garlic or fresh garlic cloves.
- Broth – Broth gives this dish so much flavor. You can use chicken or vegetable broth.
- Tomato Sauce – The tomato sauce that is added really brings the ingredients together. You can use spaghetti sauce or homemade marinara sauce.
- Browning Sausage – There is no need to cook sausage in olive oil prior to putting in instant pot.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers:
- Rice – I usually serve instant pot sausage and peppers with rice. You can use instant rice or I love pressure cooking the rice as well. It tastes like it was made in a rice cooker. My family loves it when I serve them instant pot sausage and rice for dinner.
- Potatoes – I also enjoying serving instant pot sausage peppers and potatoes. You can throw diced up potatoes (your favorite type) in the pressure cooker with the other ingredients for a great side dish to serve with this quick and easy meal.
- Low Carb – However, if you are following a low net carb or keto diet, you can serve this recipe by it’s self and it still tastes amazing. This is a simple and easy keto recipe that will quickly become a regular on your meal planning schedule.
Easy Pressure Cooker Sausage and Peppers:
I always stock up on sausage when they are on sale as I can always find a great price for peppers and onions. Then I have sausage on hand when I need to make this quick and easy recipe.
If you are interesting in reducing your grocery budget, check out my 8 Tips for for Saving Money on Groceries by Menu Planning! By spending a little extra time meal planning, I reduced my grocery budget by 50%.
Plus, being able to throw this together quickly and easily really helps to avoid the temptation of getting take out. Trust me, this sausage and peppers instant pot recipe tastes better than take out anyway.
Take out these days is not that fast and costs a small fortune. It is even more if you have 8 kids like I do. I like to use the extra money I save by meal planning to eat out when we want to instead of when we have to!
We often use what we have in the freezer or what is on sale that week. By shopping when things are on sale I save money on groceries and it really helps our budget. Saving money and feeding a big family is doable.
Everyone in my family loves this sausage and peppers in the instant pot recipe and I hope your family enjoys it as well.
How to Store Leftovers:
Sausage peppers and onions store great in the fridge. Make sure to store in an air tight container and it will last about 4 days in the fridge. This recipe is even better the next day as the ingredients really marinate together.
Print this Sausage and Peppers Instant Pot Recipe Below:
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- 2 19 oz packages Italian Sweet Sausages (the big links)
- 2 red peppers sliced
- 2 green peppers sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can tomato sauce 15 oz
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Combine everything in the Instant pot. Add lid and set the valve to sealing.
- Set the pressure (high pressure) to 20 minutes.
- When it is finished cooking do a quick release to remove the pressure.
- Slice the sausage and serve.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Beef Brisket Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Scampi Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Beef Gyro Recipe
- Instant Pot Steak Bites Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Burgundy Recipe
I just love the photos you shared of this recipe, so I had to try it. It turned out beautifully! The sausages are so tender and infused with flavor when they come out of the Instant Pot. I am saving this recipe to my favorites so I can have it again and again.
Thank you. I’m glad you liked it.
Made this last night in my new pressure cooker and it was SO darn good! I cut red potatoes in quarters and threw them in there with all the other ingredients 20 min and everything was amazing!! Easy as can be and delicious! Can’t wait to try your other recipes:)
I am new to the instant pot but this recipe was easy and amazing!
Can you use red wine in this? My grandmother used to use it and we have someone who cant eat tomato
This was so incredibly easy! And quick! And it was The Best sausage and peppers by far! So much excellent flavor! Tender. Delish!
Thank you for posting. Also, it may be unorthodox, but we added it on top of homemade mac and cheese! Amazing!
What size can of tomato sauce did you use?
This looks good! What size canned tomato sauce?
I’m so glad you loved it!
Sounds great! What size can of tomato sauce did you use?
My family loves this! I just throw in some pasta sauce instead. Great for leftovers as well.
Thanks for the recipe. It was very good. Sausage and peppers is one of my favorite foods but it is kind of a hassle to make the sausages on the grill or in an electric skillet. They take forever to cook.
One small problem was there was a lot of liquid when it was done. Is that normal? I was thinking that the cook time might have been a little long because the peppers and onions cooked down a lot and in some cases disintegrated. It doesn’t really matter because I just drained out some of the liquid and the flavor was fantastic. I know it isn’t keto but I was thinking about having it on a roll.
You need the liquid for the pressure cooker to come to pressure so that extra liquid is normal. I just drain mine off. Thank you!
Can you use a crockpot to make this instead? If so, how long should
I cook it and on high or low?
Yes, I would cook them on low for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high in the crock pot. Thank you.
What size can tomato sauce??
I used a 15 oz can for this recipe. Thank you!
Can you cook rice with this recipe at the same time as everything else? If so, would you add additional liquid or increase cook time? I am already cooking for 25-30 minutes as the sausages I have are frozen. Have you ever frozen this recipe as leftovers?
I haven’t tried cooking the rice with this recipe but I think it might work. You’ll want to add equal cups of water to the instant pot as the amount of rice that you add. Then cook on high pressure for 3 minutes with a full natural release (use this cook time instead of the cook time in the recipe). The peppers will be really sauce but they’ll still add a delicious flavor to your rice and peppers.
Also, I haven’t tried freezing this in the cooked form but think that would work fine too. Let us know how they both turn out!