We have the best coleslaw recipe and it is better than anything store bought. It is so easy to make with the perfect blend of tang and creaminess. This coleslaw is amazing paired with our Crock Pot Hot Dog Recipe, BBQ Chicken Sandwiches and much more.
The Best coleslaw recipe
I have never been a fan of store bought slaw. It never seemed that good to me or maybe I’m just picky. Either way, I have perfected the best coleslaw recipe that is easy to make at home.
Once you try this, you will know why we love it so much. Plus, it is so much cheaper than store bought.
Those little containers are not cheap at the grocery store. This recipe makes a good amount for a fraction of the cost. Not to mention it tastes way better.
In less than 15 minutes, you can have this easy and delicious coleslaw ready to enjoy!
How do you make coleslaw from scratch?
The ingredients are so simple but the recipe turns out fabulous. With a few fresh items and the best coleslaw dressing ever, this comes together so fast.
I doubt you ever buy store bought again once you see how easy homemade is. If you can toss and mix a few items, you can make this slaw from scratch.
Tips for homemade coleslaw dressing:
- If you want to save even more time, you can buy the coleslaw mix at the grocery store with pre shredded cabbage (next to the salad bags) and then finish the recipe. However, those can be pricey so I would only recommend it if you are short on time or if they are on sale.
- If you prefer your coleslaw crunchy, serve this as soon as you make it. I like my coleslaw made in advance an hour before serving so it is a little softer. Just do what you prefer.
- Try using a mixture of cabbage. Not only is this pretty but tastes good too. We like to mix in red cabbage with the green cabbage.
- Change things up by using Dijon mustard instead of yellow mustard.
- Substitute apple cider vinegar for the mustard.
- It is optional but we love to use a good mandolin slicer for the veggies. Such a time saver!
What’s coleslaw recipe good with?
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Recipe
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Hot Dogs
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Baked Chicken Legs
This coleslaw recipe is not just for topping but a great side dish too. It is so delicious and really simple to prepare.
- Shredded Cabbage (Green and Red )
- Sliced Green Onions
- Yellow Mustard
How to make homemade coleslaw:
1. First, cut the cabbage and slice it. I prefer to use a mandolin slicer.
There are several good mandolin slicers on sale. I use mine all the time and highly recommend it.
2. Julienne carrots. If you are short on time, you can buy the carrots already julienned.
3. Next, mix the veggies together in a large bowl.
4. Lastly, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Make sure everything is coated.
How long does homemade coleslaw last?
Coleslaw will last 3-5 days in the fridge. Just make sure to use an airtight container with a good fitting lid.
I hope you try this delicious side dish or topping idea and come back and let us know how you like it. We personally prefer ours less crunchy so I make it in advance.
I like it to soften and the flavors to combine. If you prefer your slaw crunchy, don’t make it in advance and serve right away.
It is delicious either way and super easy to make work for how you like it best.
Print this homemade coleslaw recipe below:
This coleslaw recipe is easy to make and it is the best coleslaw recipe. You only need a few ingredients to make this easy side dish.
- 5 cup Shredded Cabbage (green, red or both)
- 1 cup Julienned Carrots
- 1/3 cup green onions sliced
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
Cut off cabbage (leaving the core) and slice on mandolin slicer into thin strips.
Julienne the carrots.
Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
Add in the cabbage, carrots and green onions. Stir thoroughly to coat the vegetables with the sauce.
Serve right away and enjoy!
Making coleslaw is much more frugal than buying it at the store. Once you see how easy it is to make, I think you will agree that it is worth making it at home.
Notes: If you like creamier coleslaw, you can double the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper for this recipe to create more sauce.
Also, to save time, you can also use a prepackaged coleslaw mix.