This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Hamburger Potato Casserole Recipe has everything you need for a great meal. Lots of creamy potatoes, hearty beef and more make this a crowd favorite.
Hamburger potato casserole recipe
I’m excited today to show you how to make this hamburger casserole. My kids devoured this easy dinner idea. It is the best beef casserole we have made and I think you will agree.
Hamburger potato casserole recipe is the best comfort food and everyone will love the potatoes, the beef, the cheese…oh my!
Plus, we have a Gluten Free Hamburger Casserole Recipe for those that are gluten free!
Check out this video to learn how to make easy hamburger casserole.
Let’s get started!
Make sure you have a 9×13 pan.
This is a great meal to take to someone recovering from surgery or that just had a baby. You can use one of these foil pans and clean up is a breeze.
Sometimes we even use these pans on crazy busy nights. Less clean up!
We also like to make 2 of these and put one in the freezer. Talk about a life saver on busy nights.
I can’t tell you the times I have been temped to head toward a drive thru but remembered I had one of these casserole dishes in the freezer. It is a win all around for sure!
Not only will you save money but everyone gets to enjoy a delicious meal. It is a win for everyone!
Ingredients for easy hamburger potato casserole:
- 5 small potatoes
- 2 lbs of ground beef, browned
- 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- 1 ½ cups of shredded cheese (we used a colby jack mix, but cheddar would be great too)
How to make hamburger casserole:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown your ground beef and set aside
Peel and slice potatoes and set aside. We use this easy mandoline slicer to cut our potatoes quickly.
In a mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Set aside.
Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non stick spray.
Layer in the pan, potatoes, beef, soup, and cheese. Then repeat. Top with remaining cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour
Remover foil and bake another 30 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, then cut and serve.
This hamburger potato casserole is easy to make and tastes great. You can easily assemble this ahead of time and then place in the oven when you are ready to eat.
What to serve with hamburger meat casserole:
I personally like to serve it with a side salad because that makes dinner done with no extra work. However, steamed broccoli (see how to steam broccoli in the microwave easily) would also be amazing without any extra work.
Green beans also taste great and make a simple side dish as well. This meal is also good with asparagus.
This oven roasted asparagus is a family favorite and it is very simple and quick to make.
Just keep it simple.
How to freeze this hamburger potato casserole:
Now this is an easy freezer meal. However, raw potatoes don’t freeze that great, so I suggest you replace the potatoes with a package of frozen hash browns.
Layer just like you would with the hash browns. Cover with foil and freeze.
Then allow it to thaw in your refrigerator overnight and cook according to directions above. If it is still frozen in the middle cook with it covered for 1 ½ hours and then 30 minutes uncovered.
Try this delicious hamburger potato casserole today.
This is the best comfort food and really easy to make. The sliced potatoes blend with cream of mushroom soup, cheese and more for a great meal.
You can also use cream of celery in this casserole dish. We often use what we have or can get on sale.
Print the hamburger potato casserole recipe below:
How to make Hamburger Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown your ground beef and set aside
- Peel and slice potatoes and set aside. We use this easy mandoline slicer to cut our potatoes quickly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Set aside.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non stick spray.
- Layer in the pan, potatoes, beef, soup, and cheese. Then repeat. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour
- Remover foil and bake another 30 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, then cut and serve.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
We are going to show you how easy it is to make homemade cream of mushroom soup.
Try these other easy casserole recipes:
- Delicious Chicken Nugget Casserole
- Hamburger Hash Recipe
- John Wayne Casserole Recipe
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole
- Easy Taco Casserole Recipe (It freezes great!)
- Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole