This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This easy chicken enchilada casserole recipe is a family favorite. Get all the great enchilada taste without any of the work for a great dinner idea.
What is the best cheese to use in enchiladas?
We love to use monterey shredded jack cheese. I recommend taking the extra few minutes to hand shred the cheese.
It melts smoother and tastes better!
- chicken breasts
- corn tortillas
- green enchilada sauce
- shredded jack cheese
How to make chicken enchilada casserole
This is so easy, you can make it in no time. Simply boil your chicken and then shred it. You can even use a rotisserie chicken to save time.
When its time to assemble your chicken enchilada casserole, just think layers. Start with a little enchilada sauce, then lay out slices of corn tortillas.
Sprinkle shredded chicken and shredded cheese on top of the tortillas and then pour more enchilada sauce on top.
Repeat until you have about 3 full layers or until you have used up all of your chicken. Top the final layer of tortillas with the rest of your enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake and serve hot. It is THAT easy!
Top with green onion and diced tomato if you prefer. Yum,! We also love sour cream.
What to serve with enchiladas
- Homemade Spanish Rice
- Homemade Refried Beans
- Delicious Cilantro Lime Rice
- Crock Pot Refried Beans
- Check out more side dishes in our What to Serve with Enchiladas
More topping ideas:
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Quick Salsa Verde De Tomatillo Recipe
- Very Simple Guacamole Recipe
- The best pico de gallo recipe
- fresh lime juice
- fresh cilantro
How long does it take to reheat chicken enchiladas?
Cover with foil and reheat for 20 to 30 minutes. Easy!
Easy chicken enchilada casserole
- 3 chicken breasts cooked and (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 can Rotel (10 oz can)
- 28 ounce green enchilada sauce
- 8-16 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese depending how much cheese you like
- 12-16 corn tortillas
- Boil chicken until cooked through. Shred using a stand-up or hand mixer.
- Slice corn tortillas into quarters each using a large knife or pizza cutter. They will be in triangles. You can skip this step but it makes cutting into the casserole easier.
- In a large bowl combine your chicken with the taco seasoning and rotel and mix well. Set aside.
- Spray the inside of your 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour a little enchilada sauce on the bottom of your pan, then start your layering.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with tortillas (you don’t have to cover every single gap). Top the tortillas with the shredded chicken mixture. Pour enchilada sauce over the chicken.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Continue layering tortillas, chicken, sauce, and cheese.
- You should have enough chicken for about 3 full layers. Finish the casserole off with a layer of tortillas, the rest of the enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees fro 20-25 minutes.
- Cut and serve with sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro and onions.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe