This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
My entire family loves this Baked Salsa Chicken. I love it because it’s simple to throw together in no time at all with only 4 ingredients.
Baked chicken with salsa recipe is a super easy chicken dinner recipe. All you need are a handful of ingredients and a little bit of effort and dinner is done. This recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
If you are looking for more baked chicken recipes, check out these recipes. Baked Ranch Chicken Recipe, Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe, or the The Best Mexican Bake Chicken all are family favorites and easy to make.
Table of Contents
Why We Love this Recipe:
This salsa chicken recipe is only 7 carbohydrates and 43 grams of protein per serving. Which makes it perfect if you are following a low carb or Keto diet.
You will love how tender and juicy this chicken is when it bakes.
- Chicken Breasts
- Taco Seasoning
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom for the recipe card.
- Salsa – Use your favorite store bought salsa or even salsa verde.
- Toppings – Add your favorite toppings like cilantro, sour cream or avocado.
- Chicken – You can make this recipe with chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- Add-ins – You can add black beans and corn for additional additional flavors.
- Cheese – Feel free to use different types of cheese. We have even used Pepper Jack Cheese for an extra kick of flavor.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Cut the boneless skinless chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you have 6 thin chicken breasts.
Step 2 – Place the chicken in a single layer in the baking dish.
Step 3 – Then sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning.
Step 4 – Pour salsa over chicken. I used medium salsa and it was not too spicy for my little ones.
Step 5 – Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven or until juices run clear and the seasoned chicken breasts is cooked. After this cook time, top chicken with cheese and bake an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Step 6 – Serve, season with salt and pepper and enjoy with your favorite side dishes.
- Prepare Baking Dish – Before placing the chicken in the casserole dish, we recommend spraying with cooking spray.
- Slow Cooker – You can also cook this chicken recipe in the slow cooker on low for about 4-6 hours. You can also cook on high for 3-4 hours.
How Long to Bake Chicken:
The baking time for chicken in the oven all depends on the size of the chicken breasts. Generally, I like to cut the chicken in half lengthwise so that it cooks quicker for this salsa chicken recipe.
Based on the size of the chicken, it will take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes for the chicken to cook completely. Small chicken breast will take shorter amounts of time and the larger chicken breast will need to more time.
Sometimes, I slice the chicken to ensure that there is no longer any pink in the middle or you can always use a meat thermometer to ensure that it’s fully cooked. I have this one from amazon and I love.
Can you Freeze Salsa Chicken?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this salsa chicken recipe. You can freeze this prior to baking or afterwards whichever you prefer.
If you freeze prior to baking, assembly the chicken as instructed beside the cheese, cover and freeze. When you are ready to bake, defrost in the refrigerator overnight and then continue to cook based on the recipe instructions.
You can also freeze this after it’s cooked. This is a great way to store leftovers so that you can enjoy it on a later day and not waste any food. I would place the leftovers in a casserole dish and cover to freeze. Then just completely defrost prior to reheating so that it can be enjoyed again.
What to Serve with Salsa Chicken Bake:
This baked salsa chicken recipe is delicious served with many different side dish. These are some of my favorites.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
If you have a small portion that you are reheat, I recommend reheating in the microwave. Larger portion, reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Try these Other Baked Chicken Dishes:
- Salsa Verde Baked Chicken
- Easy Baked Enchilada Chicken
- Brown Sugar Baked Wrapped Chicken
- Easy BBQ Baked Breaded Chicken Recipe
- The Best Baked Mexican Chicken Recipe
We love hearing from you. If you make this chicken salsa bake, please leave a comment or a star review.
Baked Salsa Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/2 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Spray a 9X13 baking pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you have 6 thin chicken breasts. Place chicken in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning. Pour salsa over chicken. I used medium salsa and it was not too spicy for my little ones.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Sprinkle with cheese (I used colby jack) and bake an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is nice and melted.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe