Enjoy this low carb stuffed zucchini boats recipe in minutes. It is stuffed with flavorful Italian sausage, marinara and lots of cheese.
Stuffed zucchini boats recipe
This recipe is so delicious that even your kids might become zucchini fans. It is seriously that amazing.
The zucchini is loaded with the best blend of ground Italian sausage. It is so hearty. Everything is topped with homemade marinara. It is very simple to make and tastes so much better than store bought.
Each bite is so cheesy thanks to the mozzarella on top. It is the best meal. I doubt anyone even misses the carbs in this zucchini recipe.
You might also like Zucchini Taco boats for Mexican night.
Ingredient for zucchini boats:
- medium zucchini
- Olive Oil
- Ground Italian Sausage
- Onion, Diced
- Minced Garlic
- dried Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Fresh Parsley, chopped. This is optional.
How to make zucchini boats:
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- While the warming is heating up, get the zucchini ready. Cut each one in half lengthwise. Don’t forget to trim off the ends. Don’t use large zucchinis because you need them to all fit inside the pan.
I like to use medium size. Also, try to make sure they are all about the same size so they cook evenly.
- Next, carefully scoop out zucchinis with a spoon.
- Then, put the zucchinis in a baking dish with cooking spray. I used a 9×13 size and it was perfect. Make sure to put the skins on the bottom of the pan.
- Go ahead and drizzle the olive oil over the zucchini. Then bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the zucchini is soft.
It is important to do this step. If you try to bake it all together in one step, the zucchini will not be tender.
- Next, make the meat mixture while the zucchini is baking.
- Place the sausage and the onion in a large pan over medium high heat. Break up the sausage with a spatula and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until all of the sausage has been browned. You will need to drain off the excess grease.
- Once the meat has finished cooking, add in the minced garlic and cook for another minute. Then add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Finally, spoon the meat mixture into the zucchini shells and top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
How long to cook zucchini boats
Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Once they come out of the oven, sprinkle fresh parsley on top. Serve and enjoy.
They should be bubbly and cheesy now. The zucchini boats are really good.
What to serve with this recipe?
I normally serve a simple side salad with this. Just keep it simple. The recipe does not need much to go with it.
For those not eating low carb, garlic bread is good as well.
I normally serve a simple side salad with this. For my kids that aren’t eating low carb, garlic bread
I actually freeze this. It is so easy to just grab a few slices from the freezer.
How to store stuffed zucchini boats:
If you have any leftovers, store them inside an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep up to 5 to 7 days.
You can reheat in the microwave. However, I like to pop in the oven or toaster oven for a few seconds to broil the cheese. I just think it tastes better.
Can you freeze zucchini boats:
Zucchini gets mushy after it has been frozen. Due to this, I do not suggest freezing it.
However, you can freeze the Italian Sausage filling for the zucchini boats up to 2 months. Just cook and allow to cool. Place in freezer bags or containers.
When you are ready to use, allow to thaw and add to each zucchini slice as directed.
If you do not care about the texture changing, feel free to freeze the entire zucchini boat up to 2 months. Just make sure to store inside an airtight freezer container.
Stuffed Zucchini boat variations
- Meat. You can substitute ground beef or ground turkey for the Italian sausage.
- Cheese. We used shredded mozzarella but anything you like is fine. You can use colby, cheddar or anything you have. Parmesan cheese is also delicious.
- Flavor. Make Zucchini taco boats instead. This is an easy way to change the flavor if you are craving tacos.
- Marinara. If you like more sauce, just add extra. You can also use store bought instead.
- Chicken Parmesan. Love this but not the carbs? Make it with zucchini by combining chicken, Italian seasonings and marinara in the zucchini boat. Top with cheese and bake.
- Meatless. Skip the meat all together and combine diced tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and marinara. Spoon in the zucchini boat and bake with shredded cheese.
Your family will enjoy this.
If they are skeptical of zucchini, give this a try anyway. It is really so flavorful.
I don’t think anyone will miss the carbs. The zucchini is really delicious in this recipe.
Please give it a try and leave a comment once you do. I think your family and friends will love it.
Print this Stuffed zucchini boats recipe below:
Low Carb stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 LB Ground Italian Sausage
- ½ Onion Diced
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp dried Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes 15 oz.
- ¾ cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- Fresh Parsley chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and trim off the ends. Then carefully scoop out the seeds of the zucchinis with a spoon.
- Place the zucchinis in a 9X13 baking pan with the skins on the bottom of the pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the zucchinis. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the zucchini is soft.
- While the zucchini is baking, prepare the meat mixture.
- Brown the sausage and the onion in a large pan over medium high heat. Break up the sausage with a spatula and cook for 4-5 minutes until all of the sausage has been browned. Drain off the excess grease.
- Then add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Then spoon the meat mixture into the zucchini shells and top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with the fresh parsley and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe