Zucchini taco boats are low carb and delicious. There is so much flavor in these. Try this healthy idea for Mexican Monday.
Zucchini taco boats
Are you trying to find new ideas for dinner that are healthy too? This zucchini taco boat recipe is super easy, healthy and flavor packed.
You can top these with all of your favorite taco toppings. Yum! Even the kids will like this.
The entire recipe is easy and budget friendly. We even make our own homemade taco seasoning!
It is a great recipe to enjoy year round. We especially love to make it during the Summer when zucchini is so plentiful.
Give this a try and taste how amazing healthy can be! Plus, it is so easy and you can make it in minutes.
- Zucchini – Try to pick zucchinis that are similar in size so the cooking time will be the same.
- Olive Oil – You will use this when baking the zucchini.
- Lean Ground Beef – You could use ground turkey.
- Onion – Diced
- Minced Garlic – I buy minced garlic and keep it in the fridge. It is a huge time saver, but you can mince fresh garlic.
- Taco Seasoning – You can use homemade taco seasoning or store bought
- Salsa – We use a red salsa in our recipe, but salsa verde would also be delicious
- Shredded Mexican Cheese – Honestly, any kind of shredded cheese will be delicious.
- Fresh Cilantro – I love cilantro on any taco recipe. If you do not like cilantro, then eliminate it.
- Roma Tomatoes – Dice tomatoes to top after the zucchini boats are done cooking.
How to make zucchini taco boats
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
While the oven is warming up, prepare the zucchini. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and trim off each end. Next, carefully scoop out the seeds of the zucchini with a spoon.
Next, put the zucchini in a baking pan. We used a 9X13 size and it was perfect. Put the zucchini with the skins on the bottom down on the pan.
Now drizzle the olive oil over the zucchinis and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the zucchini is soft. You want the zucchini tender, but still firm.
Once the zucchini goes in the oven, make the taco meat mixture.
Place the ground beef and the onion in a pan and brown it over medium high heat until no longer pink. Use a spatula or spoon to break the beef all apart.
Let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes until all of the ground beef has browned. Make sure to drain the grease.
Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute. Next, stir in the salsa, taco seasoning, salt and pepper. If you like your taco meat spicier consider adding in a teaspoon of chili powder. If you want it saucier add in a can of tomato sauce.
Finally, scoop the meat mixture into each zucchini shell and top with the shredded cheese. Put in the oven for a few minutes so the cheese can melt.
Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats Topping ideas:
- fresh cilantro
- diced tomatoes
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- salsa verde
I like to set out a small topping bar for everyone to choose from. The kids love to choose their favorites.
Tips and Tricks for taco zucchini boats:
- If Mexican cheese is not available in your area, you can use shredded Monterey Jack Cheese and shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5-7 days. These are delicious the next day for lunch!
- You can substitute ground turkey for the ground beef. No one will notice after you add the taco seasoning and you will save money.
- Make your own taco seasoning. It is so easy and you will love knowing exactly what is in your seasoning.
- Try adding diced bell pepper with the diced onion. It gives it amazing flavor!
- Need to stretch your meat? Add black beans or pinto beans to the meat mixture.
- Baking dishes – We used a 9×13 pan, but you can also use a cooking sheet, a corning ware, or any oven safe dish.
Are zucchini Taco Boats keto?
Yes, as long as you keep the zucchini taco boat toppings keto friendly these would make a great keto recipe. You can also mix in some cream cheese or heaving cream into the taco filling to bump up the fats for the keto lifestyle.
Can you make Zucchini Boats Dairy Free?
Yes, simply eliminate the cheese in the recipe. I do recommend you top with diced avocado or fresh guacamole. Avocados are a great way to add creaminess to a recipe without adding in dairy.
Can you make Zucchini boats ahead of time?
You can make taco stuffed zucchini boats 2 days ahead of time. Follow all of the instructions until the final time to bake. After each one is stuffed cover tightly and refrigerate.
When you are ready to cook simply follow the baking instructions. Since the Zucchini boats are being cooked directly from the refrigerator I would add 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Can you freeze zucchini boats?
I do not recommend freezing zucchini boats. Zucchini becomes mushy after it has been frozen, so it will not hold up well.
However, you can freeze the taco filling for zucchini boats for up to 2 months. Thaw the filling, spoon it into the fresh zucchinis. Then add the cheese and bake according to the directions.
Try it for Taco Taco night
This healthy alternative will be a hit with the entire family. There is so much flavor and everyone loves adding toppings.
No one will miss the taco shells. I think you might be surprised how delicious zucchini taco boats are!
Print this zucchini taco boats recipe:
Zucchini Taco Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 LB Lean Ground Beef
- 1/4 Onion Diced
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Salsa
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Fresh Cilantro shredded
- 1 Roma Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and trim off the ends. Then carefully scoop out the seeds of the zucchinis with a spoon.
- Place the zucchinis in a 9X13 baking pan with the skins on the bottom of the pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the zucchinis. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the zucchini is soft.
- While the zucchini is baking, prepare the meat mixture.
- Brown the ground beef and the onion in a large pan over medium high heat. Break up the beef with a spatula and cook for 4-5 minutes until all of the ground beef has been browned. Drain off the excess grease.
- Then add in the minced garlic and cook 1 for 1 minutes.
- Stir in the salsa, taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Then spoon the meat mixture into the zucchini shells and top with the shredded Mexican cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with the fresh cilantro and diced tomatoes.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Love these taco boats! Some of family will have this in taco shells also. You can serve a salad or beans/rice with this!
something I would have never tried…LOVE!!!
Love this recipe don’t even miss the carbs it’s so good
Love this recipe!