This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Zucchini Pizza Boats is the best weeknight meal that everyone will love. Pizza is a family favorite but this has a veggie twist.
Zucchini Pizza Boats Recipe:
Zucchini Pizza Boats is the perfect option when you have a pizza craving but are on a low carb diet. I love that we can add the toppings that we want and dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes.
Zucchini makes the perfect pizza crust when the pizza craving hits. Even my kids that love pizza will enjoy a slice or two.
These Zucchini Pizza Boats are the perfect as a main meal or even served as an appetizer. Fill the zucchini boats with you favorite toppings and bake. My family loves this recipe. It is the perfect dinner idea.
What are Zucchini Pizza Boats?
Zucchini Pizza Boats is simply a zucchini that has been halved and hallowed to become a pizza crust. Then the zucchini is stuffed with your favorite pizza toppings and baked.
Zucchini is a mild vegetable and can be used in many different ways. They are great sliced and steamed. But you can make stuffed zucchini boats with many different fillings.
- Medium Zucchini
- Olive Oil
- Pizza Sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Mini Pepperoni
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
How to Make Zucchini Pizza Boats:
- Prepare oven – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut and scoop zucchini – Cut the zucchini lengthwise in half and trim off the ends. Then carefully scoop out the seeds of the zucchinis with a spoon.
- Place the zucchinis in a 9X13 baking pan with the skins on the bottom of the pan.
- Season Zucchini – Drizzle the olive oil over the zucchinis and season with the salt. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the zucchini is soft.
- Add Pizza Sauce and Toppings – Then spoon the pizza sauce (approximately 1 tbsp on each spear) into the zucchini shells and top with the shredded mozzarella cheese and mini pepperonis.
- Bake Zucchini – Bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve and Enjoy – Top with the grated parmesan cheese and they are ready to enjoy!
Zucchini Boat Options:
- Add Meats – Add Italian Sausage, ground turkey or ground beef. Then top with cheese for the perfect zucchini meat boat.
- Taco Boats – Make Low Carb Tacos and but your taco meat in the zucchini and top with cheese.
- Veggie Pizza – Skip the Pepperoni and make a veggie pizza.
More Topping Ideas:
The best part of these Zucchini Boats is everyone can customize their pizza recipe. I usually set out different bowls of toppings, so everyone can make their own. Here are our favorite topping:
- Browned Sausage – Brown sausage and then add it to your zucchini. You can use chicken or turkey sausage over pork sausage. It tends to be less greasy.
- Pepperoni Slices – You can use mini, regular size or turkey pepperoni.
- Mushrooms – Mushrooms are a must when making zucchini pizza’s.
- Diced Onions – Red onions and green peppers gives the pizza a nice crunch.
- Olives – Sausage, mushrooms, and olives is my favorite topping on this pizza.
- Any veggies of your choice – If you are adding spinach or tomatoes, you may want to sauté them first until they are tender. This also helps to get some of the moisture out as well.
Zucchini Pizza Boats Tips:
- Zucchini – You can use Zucchini purchased at the grocery store or from your local farmers market. Use Zucchini that is all about the same size so it cooks up at the same time.
- Marinara Sauce – You can make your own homemade pizza sauce or by it at the store already prepared.
- Mozzarella Cheese – We recommend grating your mozzarella cheese from the block cheese. It taste so much better and there is no added ingredients.
- Removing the Seeds from the Zucchini – To easily remove the insides of the zucchini, use the tip of a spoon.
Do I need to Cook the Zucchini before adding the toppings?
If you like a softer zucchini then I recommend baking the zucchini about 10 minutes prior to adding the pizza toppings. But we like a more firmness zucchini so we will bake for a few minutes prior to putting on the pizza toppings.
How to Store Pizza Zucchini Boats:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days. To reheat the leftovers, place on a baking sheet and reheat in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted.
Can you freeze Zucchini Boats?
We do not recommend freezing zucchini boats. The zucchini will become mushy and do not hold up in the freezer well.
What to serve with Zucchini Boats?
I normally serve a simple side salad with this. Just keep it simple. The recipe does not need much to go with it.
You can also serve with some garlic bread, if you are not following a low carb diet.
Why we love this Pizza Recipe:
- Healthier Pizza Option – This is a great way to curb your pizza craving and sticking with your low carb diet. Load your zucchini boat with veggies and cheese for an amazing pizza idea.
- Quick and Easy – This recipe is quick and easy to make. Make it a pizza night. You can even offer different crust options.
- Family Friendly Meal Idea – We love making homemade pizza. My kids love to get involved and help make their pizza with different toppings.
Print Recipe here for Zucchini Pizza Boats:
Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and trim off the ends. Then carefully scoop out the seeds of the zucchinis with a spoon.
- Place the zucchinis in a 9X13 baking pan with the skins on the bottom of the pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the zucchinis and season with the salt. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the zucchini is soft.
- Then spoon the pizza sauce (approximately 1 tbsp on each spear) into the zucchini shells and top with the shredded mozzarella cheese and mini pepperonis.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with the grated parmesan cheese and they are ready to enjoy!
*You can easily top these with your favorite pizza toppings. Browned sausage, mushrooms, diced onions, olives and any veggies of your choice would be delicious on these zucchini boats.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe