Crockpot shredded chicken makes meal planning a breeze during busy weekdays. Let the slow cooker do all the work for tender and flavorful chicken.
Crockpot shredded chicken
I love to keep shredded chicken on hand. It is so convenient for quick meals during the week. The possibilities are really endless for the meals you can make with it.
We recently made instant pot shredded chicken and it was a huge success. I thought I would try using the crock pot this time. The results? Perfectly tender chicken packed with flavor!
Just toss and go and come home to this delicious chicken. The secret is the chicken broth and the flavor is so yummy. I think it gives it a ton more flavor than using water.
- Chicken Breasts- You can also use chicken thighs.
- Chicken Broth
- Salt and pepper
How to make crockpot shredded chicken
First, place the chicken in a crock pot.
Second, sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken. Next, pour the chicken broth all over the top.
Finally, put the lid on and let the chicken cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Once the chicken has finished cooking, take it out of the crock pot. Shred and put back in the slow cooker.
How to shred chicken:
You can use 2 forks to easily shred the chicken. The meat is super tender and this is really easy.
Now, I also like to use my mixer. This is a little trick I learned to quickly and easily shred large quantities of chicken.
If you haven’t tried it, it is so easy. You can learn how to shred chicken with a mixer.
This is my preferred method if I am cooking a lot of chicken. It is so fast and I also like the texture of the chicken.
How to freeze shredded chicken
The easiest way to free the shredded chicken is to do it in serving sizes you will use for recipes. I like to divide it by the cups and freeze.
You will need to use freezer containers or freezer bags to ensure the chicken stays fresh. I like to use bags so they can lay flat.
It saves room in my freezer.
Crock pot shredded chicken tacos
Our family loves Shredded Chicken Tacos. They are so easy in the crock pot but you can actually make them with this shredded chicken for an even quicker weeknight meal.
Just add salsa and taco seasoning for delicious chicken tacos. Dinner is SO easy!
If I know I am going to have a really busy day, I will take some frozen shredded chicken out of the freezer that morning. Then when I get home that evening, I have very little to do for dinner. Just mix the salsa and seasoning and heat it all up.
You can’t get take out that fast!
Crock pot Shredded bbq chicken
This is another favorite around here and a quick dinner idea. The kids love when I make Shredded BBQ Chicken. Since the chicken is already cooked, just mix with some bbq sauce and dinner is ready!
Serve on buns or sliders. Top pizza with it. It’s delicious.
Recipes to use shredded chicken:
- Chicken Taquitos – This recipe is even easier since you have the shredded chicken ready to go.
- Tacos- Shredded Chicken tacos with all of the toppings are a favorite around here. Baked Chicken Tacos are also a hit and so easy.
- Sliders- The chicken is perfect to make Balsamic Chicken Caprese Sliders, Buffalo Chicken Sliders and Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Appetizers- Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups are packed with flavor and so easy.
- Chicken Pot Pie- the best comfort food.
- Crack Chicken– This is yummy over pasta, on a sandwich or alone.
- Mexican Chicken Soup– Perfect for when you are craving soup and a great way to stretch your meat budget!
- Green Enchilada Chicken Soup – Perfect for busy weeknights.
- Salad- Top your favorite salad with chicken for added protein. We love this Easy Caesar Salad Recipe.
- Pizza- My family loves BBQ Chicken Pizza and Buffalo Chicken Pizza. You can use flatbread from the grocery store to make this so easy.
- Also check out What to Make with Shredded Chicken
Print this recipe for slow cooker shredded chicken:
Crockpot shredded chicken
- 2-3 lbs Chicken Breasts approximately 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Place the chicken in a 6 quart crock pot.
- Season with the salt and pepper and pour the chicken broth over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken, shred with 2 forks and return the chicken to the crock pot.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More slow cooker chicken recipes to try:
- Slow Cooker Chili Lime Chicken Thighs
- Crockpot Pineapple Chicken Recipe
- The best Crockpot Chicken Tacos – only 3 ingredients
- Crock Pot Chipotle Chicken Bowl Recipe