Learn how to make Instant pot shredded chicken for an assortment of meals. The chicken is so tender and perfect for tacos, casseroles, quesadillas and more.
Instant pot shredded chicken
In just 25 minutes, you can make this delicious shredded chicken in the pressure cooker. It is really flavorful because we use chicken broth instead of water. The meat is so tender that you will think it was slow cooked all day.
You can get dinner on the table fast and enjoy a family dinner without much work. Easy recipes like this help me to avoid the drive-thru on busy weeks. Not only is this faster but it is better too.
If you not not have an Instant pot, try our Crock Pot Shredded Chicken.
- Chicken Breasts – You can also use chicken thighs
- Chicken Broth
- Salt and Pepper
How to make shredded chicken in instant pot:
First, put the chicken breasts in the pressure cooker. I used this 6 quart electric pressure cooker.
Second, sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper.
Next, add the chicken broth and pour all over the top of the chicken.
Finally, put the lid on and set the lid valve to the “sealing” position. Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
Once it has finished cooking, do a quick release on the pressure by moving the valve on the lid to the “venting” position.
Take the chicken out of the instant pot and shred.
How to shred chicken:
It is going to be tender so you can easily shred this with 2 forks. Just pull the chicken apart using the forks to quickly shred each piece.
You can also learn how to shred chicken with a mixer. If you are making a lot of chicken, this is definitely a little quicker. Plus, I love the texture of the chicken shredded with a mixer.
How to use shredded chicken:
- Chicken Taquitos – Mexican Monday is even easier since you have the shredded chicken ready to go.
- Tacos- Shredded Chicken tacos with all of the toppings are a favorite around here. Baked Chicken Tacos are also a hit.
- Sliders- The chicken is perfect to make Balsamic Chicken Caprese Sliders, Buffalo Chicken Sliders and Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Appetizers- Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups are packed with flavor and so easy.
- Chicken Pot Pie- the best comfort food.
- Crack Chicken– This is yummy over pasta, on a sandwich or alone.
- Mexican Chicken Soup– Great way to stretch your meat budget!
- Green Enchilada Chicken Soup – Perfect for busy weeknights.
- Salad- Top your favorite salad with chicken for added protein. We love this Easy Caesar Salad Recipe.
The ideas are endless. I also like to make extra to freeze. It is so handy having shredded chicken ready to go for quick meals.
Check out What to Make with Shredded Chicken.
Save time and make instant pot shredded chicken!
It is so easy and you can use fresh or frozen chicken breasts. Feel free to substitute chicken thighs or even mix them together.
I often use what I already have in the freezer or can get on sale at the grocery store. You are going to love how this turns out and how quick it is.
Make extra to freeze and save even more time in the kitchen thanks to this easy recipe. It is an easy way to meal prep. You will not spend hardly anytime cooking and freezing this but the time saved will really add up during busy weeks.
Print this recipe for pressure cooker shredded chicken:
Instant pot shredded chicken
- 2-3 lbs Chicken Breasts approximately 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Peppe
- Add the chicken breasts to the instant pot.
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Pour the chicken broth over the top.
- Place the lid on and set the lid valve to the “sealing” position. Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. After the cook time, do a quick release on the pressure by moving the valve on the lid to the “venting” position.
- Remove the lid and shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Serve immediately while warm.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe