This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Double crust chicken pot pie is loaded with chicken, veggies and a flaky crust. Anytime you want comfort food, give this easy recipe a try.
Double crust chicken pot pie
I love a good pot pie. Is it just me, or does it scream comfort food?
I make a Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie. This is a very good recipe, but sometimes I just crave a good old fashioned pot pie. This Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie does not disappoint.
It is everything you think of in a pot pie. This recipe is out of this world amazing and is sure to impress!
I use a pie pan like this one and it works great. (I love my Rachael Ray dishes!) Since there is a bit of chopping required to make this double crust chicken pot pie, I highly recommend using a good quality knife.
There is not much worse then having to cut up a bunch food with a bad knife. You can find sets of knives on Amazon at deeply discounted prices.
Don’t be scared of this recipe because of all the chopping. The prep will only take about about 20 minutes, which is well worth it considering the delicious meal you’ll enjoy when you’re done. To help keep my prep time down, I always use a garbage bowl – I hate taking multiple trips to the trash can when I’m cooking.
Are you ready to make this double crust chicken pot pie?
- Chicken Breasts
- Mixed Vegetables
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Chicken Broth
- Dry White Wine
- Dried Parsley
- Bay Leaf
- Cream of mushroom soup – Try this homemade cream of mushroom soup.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
- Pie Pastry
- Egg Yolk
How to make double crust chicken pot pie:
First, cook the chicken and onion in butter together in a large skillet over medium heat. Keep stirring until chicken is cooked through and the onion is translucent and tender.
Second, add the celery and the next 8 ingredients. Now, bring everything to a boil and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove the bay leaf at this point.
Next, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth. Once it is well blended, add it to the chicken and celery mixture. Bring it to a boil once again. Make sure to stir constantly.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the soup, cheese and sour cream.
Finally, take half of the pastry and press into an ungreased pie pan. You can also use a casserole dish.
Add the chicken mixture into the dish and top with remaining pastry. Trim any excess dough around the edges and seal.
The last step is to cut slits into top of pastry. Combine the egg yolk and milk and brush over the top of pastry.
The egg wash will ensure the crust is golden brown.
Bake and enjoy! Tip: If the crust starts to brown before the chicken pop pie is finished cooking, just cover it with foil.
How to Freeze homemade chicken pot pie:
This recipe freezes great! To freeze this, follow steps 1-4 above. Then, wrap it in plastic wrap and foil and freeze.
Take this out of the freezer and leave it on your counter for about an hour before you bake it. You may need to increase the baking time to about an hour – cook until the crust is golden brown and the center is hot.
Chicken Pot Pie Variations:
- Leftover Rotisserie chicken is great in this recipe.
- Try mixing chicken thighs with the chicken breasts.
- Substitute cream of chicken or cream of celery.
- Feel free to omit the veggies you don’t like and add extras of the ones you do. This recipe is so versatile.
What to Serve with Chicken Pot Pie
- How to Make Homemade Garlic Bread
- Easy Caesar Salad Recipe
- Check out our What to serve with Chicken Pot Pie for more easy side dish ideas
I hope your family enjoys this double crust chicken pot pie as much as mine does! I have one in the freezer now, so I think I’m going to take it out of the freezer so we can have it tonight. Enjoy!
It is sure to be a hit!
Print this double crust chicken pot pie recipe:
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
- 6 boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 inches pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup peeled chopped potato
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine (also can use apple juice as a substitute)
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Water
- (1) 10 3/4 oz cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Pie Pastry
- 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Cook chicken and onion in butter in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring until chicken is browned and onion is tender.
- Stir in celery and the next 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard the bay leaf.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water, stirring until smooth. Add to chicken and celery mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in soup, cheese and sour cream.
- Roll half of pot pie pastry and fit into an ungreased pie pan or casserole dish. Spoon chicken mixture into the dish. Place remaining pastry over chicken mixture, trim, seal and crimp edges.
- Cut slits into top of pastry. Combine egg yolk and 1 tbsp. milk; brush over pastry.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden. If the crust starts to brown too quickly, simply cover it with aluminum foil.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More chicken pot pie recipes:
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Copycat KFC Chicken Pot Pie
- The Best Chicken Pot Pie Crock Pot Recipe
- Instant pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe