Chicken Pot Pie is an old classic and this instant pot chicken pot pie recipe makes it so much easier to make! One bite is all it will take for you to be convinced to make this instant pot chicken pot pie time and time again!
If you love our very popular and easy crock pot chicken pot pie recipe then you are going to love this even easier Instant pot Chicken pot pie recipe. We are going to make it in less than an hour from frozen to the table! This is definitely one of my favorite instant pot recipes.
Can you use frozen chicken in an instant pot?
It all happened when I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner one day. I didn’t have anything thawed out in the middle of the afternoon so I knew I had to do something with my trusty Instant pot and pressure cook something for dinner. I was really craving some comfort food so I decided to give my chicken pot pie with potatoes recipe a try in my instant pot. It was a huge success!
I started with frozen chicken breasts and I was amazed at how quickly the instant pot cooked them up! The chicken was cooked all of the way through and was tender enough to be shredded with two forks! As a general rule, frozen chicken breasts will take about 25 minutes to cook in the pressure cooker, where thawed chicken usually only takes about 15 – 20 minutes.
Now I can make my easy chicken pot pie recipe that normally takes all day in the slow cooker in less than an hour from start to finish in my electric pressure cooker. If you have no dinner plans at 5:30 and nothing thawed out you can still have this easy pressure cooker chicken pot pie on the table in less than an hour.
You need a Pressure Cooker for this Recipe
Just a quick heads up that you will need an electric pressure cooker for this recipe. Anymore you can find them just about anywhere you turn.
I personally have an Instant Pot and so far I am loving it. In fact, I have 2. First I bought the 6 quart one and then later I got the 8 quart one. I highly recommend if you are going to purchase an Instant pot you splurge for the 8 quart one. You can find the Instant pot on sale here.
I seriously do love it. However, there are other great electric pressure cookers that will work great for this recipe too.
Pressure Cooking Tips
If you’re new to cooking in the instant pot or electric pressure cookers, there can be a slight learning curve that comes with it. You do need to allow some time for the pressure cooker to come to pressure and then again to release the pressure, in addition to the cooking time.
This is often overlooked when you’re new to pressure cooking and I don’t want you to end up frustrated or starving while you’re waiting longer than you expected for dinner.
Some recipes will call for a natural release for the pressure, which basically just means that you wait until the pressure releases on its own. There is nothing extra for you to do.
For quick release, you manually have to release the pressure by turning the valve that is on the top. The first time I made a pressure cooker recipe and had to do a quick pressure release, I was a bit intimidated. The steam coming out of the vent is a bit intense, but it’s all good.
Just make sure that it is situated away from your top cabinets so that it isn’t blowing hot steam onto them. Also, remember that it is pressurized steam so it is blazing hot!
Ingredients for instant pot chicken pot pie:
- Chicken Breasts
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Onion chopped (optional)
- Potatoes, peeled and diced
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables – Includes frozen peas, carrots and corn
- Celery – I usually use ½ cup of celery but you can use however much you prefer.
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Poultry Seasoning
- Canned Biscuits or Homemade Biscuits
How to make the chicken pot pie in the instant pot:
- Place all the ingredients, except for the biscuits in the instant pot.
- Place the lid on top and make sure your pressure cooker valve is set to the “sealing” position.
- Press the manual button and select the pressure time to 25 minutes(if your chicken is frozen) on high pressure. Cook for 20 minutes if you are using fresh chicken.
- Allow the instant pot to come to pressure and cook.
- While you’re waiting for the instant pot to come to pressure, prepare homemade biscuits or cook your favorite store bought biscuits. For easy cleanup line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once the time goes off on the instant pot, do a quick release to remove the pressure. To do this, simply turn the valve on the lid to the “venting” position and allow the steam to release.
- Remove the chicken from the pressure cooker and shred using two forks.
- Return the chicken back to the instant pot and stir to combine.
- Serve in a bowl with a golden brown biscuit on top and enjoy!
This easy chicken pot pie recipe will not disappoint, especially with a cook time of less than 30 minutes. You get all the delicious flavors of a chicken pot meal without all the work! It is a win win for comfort food for your family.
Variations for Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie:
Instead of using biscuits for your chicken pot pie topper, you could also use puff pastry pie crust. Let your puff pastry pie crust thaw, then cut it into an approximately 9″ circle.
You will probably only need one of the two pastries that are in the box unless you want an extra crust. Bake the puff pastry according to package directions.
Once your chicken pot pie is finished in the instant pot, simply top it with your baked puff pastry. Or you can put the chicken pot pie into a pie plate or casserole dish and top with the puff pastry for a more traditional look.
What to serve with Chicken Pot Pie
One of the things I love about chicken pot pie is that it is almost an all in one dinner on its own! It has tender chicken in a tasty gravy, filled with vegetables and topped with a flaky pie crust, puff pastry or biscuits.
From time to time I like to add a little something extra to our meal to make it look like more. Here are a few of my favorite sides to serve with this reci
- How to make Homemade Biscuits
- Spinach Strawberry Salad
- What to serve with Chicken Pot Pie for the best side dishes for chicken pot pie
Print your Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie recipe below:
Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (10.5 oz)
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 4 potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 16 oz bag of Frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 16 oz canned biscuits (8 count)
- Place all the ingredients, except for the biscuits in the instant pot.
- Place the lid on top and make sure the lid is set to "sealing" position.
- Press the manual button and select the pressure time to 25 minutes.
- Allow it to come to pressure and cook.
- Meanwhile, prepare homemade biscuits or cook store bought biscuits.
- Once finished, do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot.
- Remove the chicken and shred.
- Return it back to the instant pot and stir to combine.
- Serve in a bowl with a biscuit on top and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Yes I think that would work great.
I made this last night for dinner and it was deliciously family approved! My 6 qt. instant pot was full to the max line with a single recipe.
Made this tonight! Was so so good
See More Comments