This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
You are going to love this classic Hamburger Hash recipe. It is loaded with diced potatoes, ground beef, and simple seasoning. Easy, flavorful weeknight meal.
Hamburger Hash Recipe:
This hamburger hash recipe has become a family favorite weeknight meal. This classic recipe is made with simple ingredient that your probably already have. This meal is loaded with seasoned ground beef, diced potatoes and simple pantry seasoning.
We love that this meal is budget friendly and if we have leftover vegetables we toss them into the skillet. We make it easy by using frozen diced hashbrowns but you can easily use diced fresh potatoes.
This meal cooks easily in the skillet in less than 20 minutes. Add your favorite roasted vegetables or salad and you have a complete meal. A perfect family dinner or when you have a house full of kids.
What is Hamburger Hash?
Hamburger hash gets its name because of it is usually a mixture of ground beef, leftover potatoes, onions and seasoning. Heat all the ingredients to make a hash.
Some recipes even serve a egg over the top for added flavor. We have even mixed in some melted cheese for a cheesy hamburger hash.
Hamburger hash is an easy one pot recipe made with simple ingredients.
- Ground Beef
- Yellow Onion (diced)
- Vegetable Oil
- Frozen Diced Hashbrowns (32 oz bag)
- Minced Garlic
- Black Pepper
How to Make Hamburger Hash:
- Step 1 – Heat oil in skillet – Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Step 2 – Cook ground beef and diced onions – Add in the ground beef and diced onions. Sauté in the beef and break it up until the beef is browned and the onions are soft.
- Step 3 – Add in Minced Garlic – Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic.
- Step 4 – Add in potatoes and cook – Stir in the diced hash brown potatoes, salt pepper and water. Bring the mixture to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until the hashbrowns start to get soft.
- Step 5 – Continue Cooking – Uncover and continue to cook over medium high heat for 10-12 more minutes until the water cooks off and the hashbrowns are browned. Toss occasionally to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove from heat, serve warm and enjoy.
How to Serve:
This Hamburger hash would be delicious served with many different meals.
- Roasted Broccoli – I love roasted broccoli, it is way favorite to cook broccoli. My kids will eat a nice big helping when I roast it. It is my favorite side with this hamburger hash.
- Green Salad – My a big salad loaded with veggies to compliment this hearty dish.
- Garlic Bread – Garlic bread, salad and hamburger hash is the perfect meal to serve.
What is the Most Common Meat used for Hash?
Traditionally hash is made with corned beef, but you can make it with any types of meat. We recommend ground beef, ground turkey, or ground sausage.
- Add Vegetables – This is the perfect meal to add in leftover vegetables. Slice mushrooms, red bell pepper, green bell pepper or chopped zucchini. Green beans would also be a delicious addition.
- Change Meat – Use ground turkey instead of ground beef. You can also use half ground turkey and half ground beef for a delicious alternative. Try making it with ground sausage for a delicious breakfast idea.
- Change Potatoes – You can use diced Russet potatoes in this recipe if you prefer. Peel the potatoes and dice them into 1 inch pieces for this recipe.
- Add Cheese – Sharp cheddar cheese would be a great addition to this recipe. Other options would be pepper jack cheese, or Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese.
- Egg – To add more protein to this dish, you can mix in some egg or place a fried egg on the top before serving.
- Spice – To add a bit more spice to the beef and potato mixture, add in a teaspoon of chili powder or red pepper flakes.
Recipe Tips for Hamburger Hash:
- Potatoes – We used frozen diced hashbrowns for this recipe. But if you use fresh potatoes, make sure to boil them for about 5 minutes or until fork tender. Then add with other beef hash ingredients.
- Cooking Ingredients – Cook the ingredients until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Ground Beef – We like to use lean ground beef when cooking this recipe. But you can use what you have.
- Season Well – Make sure you season the ground beef hash well. I start off with about teaspoon of salt and pepper and then add in more if needed. You will need more than you think you will.
How to Store Hamburger Hash:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can Hamburger Hash be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze hamburger hash. Place your leftovers in a freezer safe container and place in the freezer. If stored properly this dish will stay good for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. I recommend reheat in the skillet but you can also reheat in the microwave.
Easy Hamburger Hash Recipe:
I love making recipes that are both filling and easy to make. This hamburger hash checks all the boxes plus it is budget friendly. The beef and the potatoes combined with the seasoning make for a hearty and delicious meal.
This is my go-to meal when I have nothing set out for dinner. I can easily make this recipe in less than 20 minutes with a side salad. It is perfect served straight out of the skillet.
This recipe is delicious leftover for a lunch the next day and it reheats perfectly in the microwave. If you are looking for a simple ingredient recipe, make this hamburger hash recipe.
Print Recipe here for Hamburger Hash:
Hamburger Hash Recipe
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Add in the ground beef and diced onions. Sauté in the beef and break it up until the beef is browned and the onions are soft.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic.
- Stir in the diced hash brown potatoes, salt pepper and water. Bring the mixture to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until the hashbrowns start to get soft.
- Uncover and continue to cook over medium high heat for 10-12 more minutes until the water cooks off and the hashbrowns are browned. Toss occasionally to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Remove from heat, serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Hamburger Recipes:
- Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper Recipe
- Crock Pot Hamburger Helper Recipe
- Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- Easy Hamburger Casserole Recipe