This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant Pot Turkey Breast is a game changer. Learn how to cook a turkey in a fraction of the time. The turkey comes out so tender and flavorful.
Pressure cooking saves so much time and results in really fabulous food. If you have never considered cooking a turkey breast in the instant pot, now is the time to try it.
Either way, get ready for tender, flavorful and delicious turkey.
Table of Contents
- Why this Recipe Works
- Seasoning Variations:
- How to Cook a Turkey Breast in an Instant Pot:
- How to Make Turkey Gravy:
- What Size Turkey Breast is Best:
- How Long Does it Take to Cook:
- Expert Tips:
- What to Serve with Turkey?
- How to Use Leftover Turkey?
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- More Turkey Recipes:
- Easy Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes:
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe
Why this Recipe Works
It is such a quick and easy way to cook turkey. You don’t need to spend forever baking a turkey when the pressure cooker does such a great job in a fraction of time.
I love having more time to spend with my family and less time in the kitchen. It also frees up precious oven space during the holidays when you are trying to cook all the things.
The total time to make this turkey in the instant pot is less than 60 minutes.
For the Turkey:
- Bone-in Skinless Turkey Breasts – We used a 6 lb turkey breast.
- Chicken Broth
- Minced Garlic
- Dried Thyme Leaves
- Salt and pepper
For the Gravy:
- Cold Water
For the full list of ingredients and recipe; scroll to the bottom to see the recipe card.
Feel free to change the seasoning in the turkey breast recipe. You can substitute the paprika for smoked paprika and minced garlic for garlic powder.
You can add in Italian seasoning or other ideas are lemon, oregano, rosemary, parsley, onion powder and sage. Any of these flavors go well with turkey.
Fresh herbs or dried herbs are also are great option. If you prefer you can also substitute the butter for olive oil.
How to Cook a Turkey Breast in an Instant Pot:
Step 1 – Combine the butter (melted), garlic, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Step 2 – Pour the chicken broth in the bottom of the Instant pot.
Step 3 – Put the trivet that came with the Instant Pot in the bottom of the Instant Pot insert. Once the trivet is in place, put the turkey breast on top of the trivet in the instant pot. Make sure it is breast side up.
Step 4 – Pour the butter mixture all over the top of the turkey. Use a basting brush to spread the ingredients all over the turkey. This makes the turkey delicious so you don’t want to miss a spot.
Step 5 – Finally, put the lid on the pressure cooker and set the valve to the sealing position on the lid. Let this cook on high pressure for 25 minutes to 30 minutes.
Step 6 – Once the cooking time has finished, let it natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes. Next, do a quick release to release all the pressure from the instant pot.
Step 7 – Remove the juicy turkey breast from the instant pot. Let it sit for 5 minutes before slicing. This will help to keep all the delicious juices inside that make the turkey so moist and flavor.
How to Make Turkey Gravy:
- Step 1 – Remove the trivet from the instant pot and switch the instant pot to the sauté setting.
- Step 2 – Continue to cook on sauté until the turkey drippings starts to boil slightly.
- Step 3 – Combine the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. Once combined, whisk the cornstarch mixture into the instant pot and heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Step 4 – Make sure to stir constantly until the gravy thickens to the consistency that you prefer.
- Step 5 – Slice the turkey and serve with the gravy drizzled over the top and enjoy. You can also make your gravy on the stovetop with this traditional turkey gravy recipe.
What Size Turkey Breast is Best:
Generally, I figure about 1.5 pounds per person when making this turkey breast recipe. This will allow for enough turkey and you’ll have some leftovers too.
I used a 6 pound turkey breast for this recipe but you can make whatever size you need and just adjust the other ingredients as needed.
How Long Does it Take to Cook:
We used a 6 lb turkey breast and 30 minutes on high pressure was perfect. This size is great to use because it fits perfectly inside the pressure cooker.
Cooking time will vary depending on the size of turkey and your pressure cooker. Always use a meat thermometer to ensure turkey is fully cooked.
How to Crisp Up The Skin
This step is totally optional, but if you’d like crispier skin you can. Place the turkey breast side up on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven under the broiler for about 5 to 10 minutes until the skin is to your desired crispiness.
- Electric Pressure Cooker – Make sure you have a good pressure cooker when making this recipe.
- Meat Thermometer – Use a meat thermometer to ensure the turkey is fully cooked. It needs to be 165 degrees in the thickest part of the meat. These thermometers are so handy to have in the kitchen and will get plenty of use.
- Crispy Skin – If you prefer crispy skin, place the turkey on a baking sheet and let it cook under the broiler a few minutes. Stay close by so the turkey doesn’t burn. It will not take long for the turkey to have a crispy texture.
- Turkey Breast Netting – Before placing the turkey in the instant pot, make sure to remove the netting.
What to Serve with Turkey?
How to Use Leftover Turkey?
There is nothing better than having leftover turkey to use in other recipes.
- Turkey and Cheese Crescent Roll Ups– Great for lunchbox meal ideas.
- Hawaiian Turkey and Cheese Sliders– Everyone loves this and they don’t realize they are eating leftovers.
- Leftover Turkey Recipes – Get even more ideas with over 50 recipes to choose from.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
You can make a boneless turkey in the Instant Pot as well. If you are preparing a boneless turkey breast cook it for 5 minutes per pound after it’s thawed.
For example, if you have a 3 pound boneless turkey breast, you would cook it for 15 minutes in the Instant Pot with a natural release of 10-15 minutes.
You can also freeze the leftover turkey in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
The best way to keep the turkey moist and juicy is to ensure that it does not get over cooked. I recommend using the lower end of the cook time. Make sure to check internal temperature to ensure it reaches 165 degrees.
It is best to thaw a frozen turkey breast it prior to cooking. The turkey will be more moist and juicy.
More Turkey Recipes:
Easy Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes:
- Crockpot Stuffing Recipe
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Cranberry Sauce
- Check out all our 50 Easy Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
If you make pressure cooker turkey breast recipe, make sure to leave us a comment. We love hearing from you.
Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- Combine the butter, garlic, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Pour the Chicken broth in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the trivet that came with the Instant Pot in the bottom of the Instant Pot insert. Place the turkey breast on top of the trivet in the instant pot breast side up.
- Pour the butter mixture over the top of the turkey and use a basting brush to spread the ingredients over the turkey.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to the sealing position on the lid. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. When the cook time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 10-15 minutes and then do a quick release to release all the pressure from the instant pot.
- Remove the turkey breast from the instant pot and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Then remove the trivet from the instant pot and switch the instant pot to the sauté setting.
- Cook on sauté until the mixture starts to boil slightly.
- Then combine the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the instant pot and heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until the gravy thickens to the consistency that you prefer.
- Slice the turkey and serve with the gravy drizzled over the top and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe