This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crock Pot Apple Crisp is an easy fall dessert and made with simple ingredients. This apple cinnamon dessert is made with apple pie filling and topped with amazing granola flavor.
Crock Pot Apple Crisp Recipe:
We love making this apple crisp dessert so we don’t have to heat up our oven. All the easy ingredients are combined in the slow cooker to make a crowd pleasing dessert. There is something about the smell of apple and cinnamon during the fall season.
This dessert is comforting and warms you up when the colder weather hits. There is no need to cut apples or wait until they are in season. We used apple pie filling so we can enjoy this dessert all year long.
We love to serve this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. But it is also amazing for breakfast with a scoop of yogurt. The granola topping and the apple cinnamon flavoring makes this slow cooker dessert a must anytime of the day.
What is the Difference between Apple Crisp and Apple Crumble:
The difference between the apple crisp and apple crumble is the topping. The apple crisp is typically a baked fruit with a topping consisting of oats or nuts.
The apple crumble topping is more like a streusel topping. It made with flour, sugar and butter.
These apple desserts are similar in taste, texture, and flavor. Whichever you choose it will be delicious filled with apple cinnamon flavor.
- Apple Pie Filling
- Brown Sugar
- Rolled Oats
- All Purpose Flour
- Salted Butter, melted
- Ground Cinnamon
How to Cook Apple Crisp in the Crock Pot:
- Prepare crock pot and pour apple filling in – Spray a 5 or 6 quart crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the apple pie filling into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Combine topping ingredients – In a large mixing bowl, mix together the other ingredients including the sugar and cinnamon. Then evenly pour this mixture on top of the apple pie filling in the crock pot.
- Cook until browned – Cover and cook on high for 2 hours to 2 ½ hours until the edges are browned slightly and the apple crisp is cooked through. Cooking times will vary. It will be based on your slow cooker.
- Serve and Enjoy – Then serve warmed topped with ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy!
Crock Pot Recommendation:
If you are needing to upgrade your crock pot, we recommend the Instant Pot Aura. It has many different functions including being able to cook ground beef right in the crock pot.
This is my favorite feature. I do not need to dirty up other pans when making a meal in the crock pot.
This apple crisp cooks perfectly in this crock pot.
How Long to Cook Apple Crisp in the Crock Pot:
Crockpot Apple Crisp doesn’t take long in the crock pot. We cook the apples and the oatmeal topping mixture on high for about 2 ½ hours. Once the edges have turned golden brown then you apple crisp is finished cooking.
Can you Bake Apple Crisp?
Yes, you can bake apple crisp. We have cooked this recipe both in the crock pot and the oven. But we feel like putting the ingredients in the crock pot is less stressful.
There is no need to heat the oven up for this delicious dessert. We can let the crock pot do the work. I don’t have to worry about the ingredients burning or overcooking.
With my busy schedule, it is one less thing I have to worry about. Cooking apple crisp in the oven requires you to monitor it so it doesn’t burn.
Can I use a Cake Mix instead for the Topping?
Yes, you can use a cake mix instead of flour for this recipe. The topping texture will be a little different but still will be so delicious. It would be similar to a dump cake recipe.
We recommend using a yellow cake mix or a white cake mix as a variation to this recipe.
Slow Cooker Apple Crisp Topping Ideas:
- Vanilla Ice Cream – This is amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The cold ice cream melts into the warm apple crisp.
- Whipped Topping – Top with whipped cream for another great idea.
- Drizzle with Caramel Sauce – Plus, a generous drizzle of caramel sauce. Yum! Did you know it is SO easy to make homemade caramel sauce?
Can I use Fresh Apples instead?
Yes, you can use Fresh Apples in this recipe. I like using the canned apple pie filling because it saves me from having to peel and slice the apples. The pie filling also has a thick and creamy texture.
But if you do decide to add fresh apples, you can use golden delicious apples or granny smith apples. Both are great options added to this recipe. Makes sure you slice and peel the apples in about the same size so the cook evenly.
To add the apples to the crock pot, we recommend tossing them in a cinnamon sugar mixture for added flavor. Plus adding in some flour for added texture.
- About 6 Apples Sliced and Peeled
- ½ Cup of Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons of Flour
Once you have covered the apples in this mixture, add to the crock pot and continue with the oat topping.
Slow Cooker Apple Crisp Tips:
- Use Real Butter – Make sure to use real butter. It delivers a rich and the topping just tastes better. Also, resist the urge to add more butter. Too much butter in the topping can result in it being very greasy.
- Melted butter – I have tried it both ways and I feel like using melted butter works better when mixing up the apple crisp topping.
- Use Salted Butter – We love the flavor that salted butter gives to this apple crisp.
- Change the Filling – You can use a variety of pie filling to make this recipe. Our personal favorite is peach.
- Cooking Spray – We recommend spraying the crock pot with cooking spray to prevent the ingredients sticking to the sides.
- Crock Pot Lines – For easy clean up, use crock pot liners in your crock pot.
- Change the Pie Filling – You can change the pie filling in this recipe. We recommend trying cherry, berry, or strawberry. Continue with the topping.
- Other Suggestions – We also love using cranberry sauce or slice canned peaches. Fresh pineapple chunks or frozen blueberries work great with this recipe.
- Add Nuts – For an extra layer of crunch, add in some chopped pecans or sliced almonds.
- Lemon Pie Filling – Using lemon pie filling with this recipe with fresh squeezed lemon juice for an amazing flavor crisp.
Gluten Free Apple Crisp:
This recipe can be changed if you are following a gluten free diet. You have the option to use gluten free oat and instead of using all purpose flour, use almond flour.
You Apple Crisp will still come up with a crisp crust and still very flavorful. Remember to always check the other ingredients before adding to the crock pot.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftover apple crisp in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Reheat the leftovers before serving as this crisp is best served warmed.
Easy Crock Pot Apple Crisp:
If you are looking for a delicious dessert that won’t heat up your kitchen then Apple Crisp is always a crowd pleaser. It is perfect on a hot summer day or even better to warm up on a fall day.
This recipe makes a lot so plan on having it for breakfast the next day. But perfect enough for an afternoon snack. Your house will smell amazing with the aroma of apple and cinnamon. Your family will enjoy this classic recipe topping with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
The next time you want a sweet treat, try making a fabulous slow cooker recipe. If you have not tried dessert in the crock pot, you are missing out. Since the crock pot does all of the work, you can have more time for other things.
Friends and family will be so impressed with this luscious dessert made in the slow cooker.
Print Recipe here for Crock Pot Apple Crisp:
Crock Pot Apple Crisp
- Spray a 5 or 6 quart crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the apple pie filling into the bottom of the slow cooker. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the other ingredients.
- Then evenly pour this mixture on top of the apple pie filling in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours to 2 ½ hours until the edges are browned slightly and the apple crisp is cooked through.
- Then serve warmed topped with ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe