This fall leaves sugar cookies recipe is easy to make and tastes great! These step by step directions are super easy to follow! You’ll be a cookie decorating pro in no time!
Are you just about as excited about fall as my family? I know we are. After you all loved our tutorial on how to make pumpkin sugar cookies, I thought it would be fun to show you how easy it is to make this super easy fall leaves decorated sugar cookies recipe.
There is something about sugar cookies with icing that just makes my heart full. Anyone else agree? First you are going to need some super cut leaf cookie cutters. Amazon has several at a great price here.
Here is what you need:
Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe:
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
How to make fall leaves sugar cookies:
- First you need to cream the soft butter with the sugar.
- Next, add all 4 eggs at one time and continue to mix. Then add in the vanilla or almond extract, continue beating until combined.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Then combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Roll the dough into a ball, cover it and refrigerate it for at least 6 hours or over night.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Roll out the cookie dough and cut out the cookies using a leaf shaped cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 8 minutes.
- Put the cookies on a wire rack to cool completely!
Sugar Cookie Icing:
- Egg Whites
- Powdered Sugar
- Cream of Tartar
- Orange, brown, yellow gel food colors
Note: For these cookies you may have to make two bowls of icing.
How do you put icing on sugar cookies?
- Combine all the ingredients except for the food coloring in a large bowl. Then divide it evenly into 4 bowls.
- Then color each bowl and different color for the fall leaves. We used red, orange, yellow and brown.
- Lastly, spoon each of the icings into individual frosting bags with a #5 tip.
Now you will need frosting bags. I highly recommend getting the disposable ones. They are such a convenience and definitely worth the cost.
How do you decorate fall leaf sugar cookies?
- Outline each of the leaf cookies with the icing.
- After outlining all of these leaf cookies you can push some the remaining icing into a bowl and add very small amount of water and mix well to get the right consistency.
- After you’ve outlined each of the fall leaves sugar cookies, use the frosting bags with matching icing colors and a small tip, make a center line in each of the leaves then add the remaining other accent lines on each of them.
- Lastly, set these aside and allow to completely dry about 4 hours.
- Then serve and enjoy!
Print the fall leaves sugar cookies recipe below:
Fall leaves Decorated Sugar Cookies
- Cookie Ingredients:
- 5 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C soft unsalted butter
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Orange brown, yellow gel food coloring
- For these cookies you may have to make two bowls of icing.
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- Add all 4 eggs at one time…Continue to mix. -Add the vanilla.. Continue mixing.
- Sift the four, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
- Put flour out on the wood cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and work some flour into the batter.
- Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using your Pumpkin cookie cutter begin to make yourcookies.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a metal spatula move the cut cookie to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookie are thoroughly baked.
- Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely. (About 10 minutes).
- Icing Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring) If icing is not stiff enough add ¼ C powder sugar.
- Pull out 4 bowls and divide the icing equally into each bowl.
- Bowl #1 , add several drops of brown gel food coloring stirring well until all of the color is blended.
- Bowl #2, add several drops of orange gel food coloring stirring well until all of the color is blended.
- Bowl #3, add several drops of red gel food coloring stirring well until all of the color is blended.
- Bowl#4, add several drops of yellow gold gel food coloring stirring well until all of the color is blended.
- Spoon each of the icings into individual frosting bags with a #5 tips…. twist the open end of the bag to push the icing to the tip
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe