This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies is a classic treat with some extra crunch thanks to the Rice Krispies. The perfect combination of sweet and salty.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies Recipe:
If you love the classic peanut butter balls recipe, then you are going to love them with Rice Krispies. This traditional holiday treat now has a twist. The combination of the peanut butter, chocolate, and cereal makes this perfect for all your holiday dessert trays.
We love making chocolate rice krispy peanut butter balls during the holiday. It has become one of my favorite traditions. They are easy to make with simple ingredients and perfect treat for holiday gatherings.
Chocolate and peanut butter is one of my favorite combination. Mixing in one of our favorite cereal takes these peanut butter balls to the next level. We love the sweet, salty, and crunchy flavor.
How to Make Chocolate for Peanut Butter Balls:
Making the chocolate for the peanut butter balls only requires two ingredients – chocolate chips and shortening. Combining the two ingredients in a microwave safe bowl is easy to do.
- Place the two ingredients in the bowl and begin microwaving for 30 seconds then remove and stir.
- Continue this process until the chocolate and shortening is melted together.
- Be careful to not to microwave for to long because you could burn the chocolate.
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Butter, softened
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Rice Krispies Cereal, crushed
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
How to Make Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispes:
- Prepare Baking Sheet – Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper and set aside.
- Mix together Ingredients – Cream together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in Cereal – Then stir in the crushed Rice Krispies Cereal.
- Roll into Balls – Then shape the mixture into small balls (bite size). Place the peanut butter balls on the prepared cookie sheet with waxed paper. Then chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt Chocolate with Shortening – Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals, stir between each interval until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Begin dipping peanut butter balls – Dip each of the chilled peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate. Lift the ball out of the chocolate with a fork and then transfer them back to the baking sheet.
- Refrigerate Chocolate Balls – Once all of your peanut butter balls are coated, put the cookie sheet in the fridge. I recommend leaving them in for about 15-30 minutes. Perfect timing for the chocolate coating to completely hardened.
How Long Will Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls Last?
Place Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls in the refrigerator and they will last about 2 weeks. We recommend storing in an air tight container. The chocolate peanut butter balls are good at room temperature, but they are preferred to serve chilled.
- Use your favorite type of Chocolate – These peanut butter balls are great dipped in milk, white chocolate or dark chocolate.
- Use any type of nut butter – I usually make these with peanut butter any type of nut butter will work. Almond Butter, Cashew Butter or Sunflower Butter would all be delicious in this recipe. You can also use crunchy peanut butter.
- Add Sprinkles – Before placing the peanut butter balls in the refrigerator, sprinkle them with your favorite holiday sprinkles.
- Change the Cereal – Any type of crispy rice cereal will work.
- Drizzle chocolate on top. This is optional but looks really pretty. I like to drizzle extra chocolate on top or use something different such as white chocolate. It makes the peanut butter balls look so fancy.
Chocolate Peanut Ball Tips:
- Chill Peanut Butter – Make sure the Peanut Butter Balls are placed in the refrigerator before dipping. This will make sure that the balls don’t fall apart.
- Dip with a Fork – Use a fork to dip the balls into the chocolate. This makes sure excess chocolate will drip off the fork.
- Do not overcook the chocolate – Overcooked chocolate will become clumpy and will not be smooth on these peanut butter balls.
- Room temperature ingredients. This recipe will be easier to mix if you use room temperature butter.
- Stir the chocolate in intervals. Make sure to melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals so you do not burn it.
- Cookie Scoop. It is easier to form the balls if you use a cookie scoop. Not only is this quick but each one will be uniform.
- Slightly crush the cereal. The cereal needs to be slightly crushed prior to mixing with the other ingredients.
- Sticky Peanut Butter – If peanut balls get sticky slowly add in more powdered sugar.
Can you Freeze Peanut Butter Balls?
Yes, you can freeze these peanut butter balls. This is a great candy to make ahead of time to save time for all your holiday baking. Place prepared chocolate peanut butter balls on a baking sheet and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Then once they have frozen, you can then transfer to a zip lock bag or a freezer safe container. They will last up to 3 month in the freezer.
How to Store:
Refrigerate the peanut butter balls for up to 2-3 weeks or store them in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
Print Recipe here for Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies:
Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies
- 1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Butter softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal crushed
- 12 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 Tbsp Shortening
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and set aside.
- Cream together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar together in a large bowl.
- Then stir in the crushed Rice Krispies Cereal.
- Then shape the mixture into small balls (bite size). Place the peanut butter balls on the prepared cookie sheet with waxed paper and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals, stir between each interval until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Dip each of the chilled peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate. Lift the ball out of the chocolate with a fork and then transfer them back to the baking sheet.
- Once all of your peanut butter balls are coated, put the cookie sheet in the fridge for 15-30 minutes. This will ensure the chocolate coating is completely hardened.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe