This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Easy Butternut Squash Pie is creamy, delicious and full of flavor. The perfect pie for your holiday dinners or enjoy throughout the year.
Easy Butternut Squash Pie Recipe:
Easy Butternut Squash Pie that is made from scratch with a premade pie crust. It is smooth, creamy and has a hint of spice. You may love this Butternut Squash Pie better than your classic Pumpkin Pie.
This Butternut Squash Pie has so many warm flavors. The brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon combined with the squash makes this our favorite fall pie. Easy to make with simple ingredients this pie has become a family favorite.
The texture of this butternut squash pie is smooth, silky, and creamy. We love to top with some whipped cream and a dish of cinnamon. Impress your family this holiday season and bring this Easy Butternut Squash Pie Recipe.
What does Butternut Squash Pie taste like?
Butternut Squash Pie is full of warm, fall flavors. It is sweet, moist and nutty with a similar taste to sweet potatoes and butterscotch. The texture is similar to pumpkin pie but adding a little butter to the squash gives it a smooth finish.
What is the difference between Pumpkin Pie and Squash Pie?
There really isn’t much difference between the two. It appears that the best pumpkin pies are made with butternut squash. Most bakeries are using butternut squash to make their pumpkin pies because of the close resemblance in flavor.
Using butternut squash results in a pie that is sweeter than the pumpkin pie. Butternut squash has a lower water content than pumpkin, so there is no need to drain while preparing.
- Pie Crust unbaked (9-inch pie crust)
- Fresh Butternut Squash
- Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract
- Evaporated Milk
How to Make Butternut Squash Pie::
- Prepare Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut Butternut Squash – Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds in the squash.
- Place on baking sheet and bake – Place the square cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the square is tender.
- Cool Squash and puree – Let the squash cool for 30 minutes to 60 minutes, then scoop out the squash from the shell and place in a food processor. Add the butter to the food processor and blend until squash is pureed.
- Mix Ingredients with squash purée – Then add 2 cups of the butternut squash puree to a large mixing bowl. Add in the brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract.
- Combine ingredients – Stir to thoroughly combined the ingredients.
- Continue stirring until combined – Then stir in the remaining ingredients until just combined.
- Add squash mixture to pie crust – Place the pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan and crimp down the edges. Pour the pie filling into the pie crust.
- Bake Pie – Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the center of the pie is still slightly jiggly.
- Pie Crust Tip – If the crust is getting too brown while baking, cover the crust with aluminum foil halfway through the bake time to keep the crust from getting too brown.
- Cool, Serve and Enjoy – Allow the pie to cool for at least 2 hours and then the pie is ready to slice, serve and enjoy!
What Spices do I use to Make Squash Pie?
There are many different seasoning that we use to make this pie flavorful. We combine brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. These staple seasoning combine with the butternut squash makes this pie so sweet.
Can I use Homemade Pie Crust?
Yes, you can use Homemade Pie Crust. We used a store bought pie crust to make it easy, but I love our Homemade Pie Crust Recipe. It only requires 3 ingredients and turns out so flaky and delicious.
Anyone can easily make a homemade pie crust thanks to this simple recipe. In fact, you probably already have the ingredients on hand to make this.
- Whipped Cream – Dollop whipped cream on top of each slice of pie. We love to make this super easy homemade whipped cream.
- Ice cream – Scoop vanilla ice cream and serve with the pie. It is so decadent.
- Cinnamon – We like add a sprinkle of cinnamon before serving.
- Maple Syrup – You can drizzle maple syrup over the top before serving.
Butternut Squash Pie tips
- Crust – If the crust is getting too brown while baking, cover the crust with aluminum foil halfway through the bake time. This will keep the crust from getting too brown.
- Make in advance – This pie can easily be made the night before serving it. This is really helpful before holidays and will give your time plenty of time to set.
- Use a wire rack to cool – It is important that the pie has plenty of time to cool at room temperature before slicing. It needs enough time to completely set. I use a wire rack so that it can cool for about 2 hours.
- Cook the squash – The butternut squash can be cooked a day in advance and pureed. Refrigerate until ready to mix with the other pie ingredients.
- Spices – Feel free to add extra cinnamon if you like a stronger flavor.
- Cutting the pie – Use a sharp knife to cut and wipe clean in between slices. This will help get nice clean slices each time.
How to Store:
Refrigerate the leftovers covered for up to 5 days. Make sure to cover with plastic wrap or with wax paper.
How Long will Squash Pie Last:
If stored properly this pie will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Can I Freeze Squash Pie?
Yes, you can freeze squash pie about a month. After the pie has cooled completely, cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Double wrapping the pie will keep it from getting freezer burn.
If stored properly, the Butternut Squash Pie will last up to 1 month in the freezer.
Print Recipe here for Butternut Squash Pie:
Butternut Squash Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds in the squash. Place the square cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the square is tender.
- Let the squash cool for 30-60 minutes, then scoop out the squash from the shell and place in a food processor. Add the butter to the food processor and blend until squash is pureed.
- Then add 2 cups of the butternut squash purée to a large mixing bowl. Add in the brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract. Stir to thoroughly combined the ingredients.
- Then stir in the remaining ingredients until just combined.
- Place the pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan and crimp down the edges. Pour the pie filling into the pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the center of the pie is still slightly jiggly.
- Allow the pie to cool for at least 2 hours and then the pie is ready to slice, serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Pie Recipes:
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie Recipe
- No Bake Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Mincemeat Pie Recipe
- Easy Blueberry Pie Bites Recipe