This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Mincemeat Pie Recipe is a sweet and spicy meat pie that has become a Christmas tradition. It is easy to make with simple ingredients.
Easy Mincemeat Pie Recipe:
Mince pie is now a traditional pie that we make every Christmas. You only need 3 ingredients to make this spicy, sweet pie. This Christmas pie cooks perfectly in a 9-inch pie plate to bring this holiday.
We made this pie very easy by using jarred mincemeat but you can easily make your own. Use dried fruit, raisins and granny smith apples. Along with cinnamon, nutmeg and other simple spices to make a delicious mincemeat filling.
Make this mince pies for your next holiday dinner and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You will impress your family and friends with this delicious homemade Mincemeat Pie Recipe.
What is Mincemeat Pie Filling?
Traditional Mincemeat Pie filling is made up of fermented meat mixture of meat and fruit to fill a pie crust. This pie was originally made with vinegar and wine, but now it made with brandy.
The combination of the beef suet, spices and sugar makes this pie more of a dessert now than a dinner.
- Pre-made Pie Crusts (refrigerated)
- Jar Mincemeat Filling & Topping (29 ounces)
- Large Egg, lightly beaten
How to Make Mincemeat Pie:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Then move the oven rack to the lowest position in the oven.
- Step 2 – Add crust to pie plate – Place one of the chilled pie crusts in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Step 3 – Pour mincemeat into crust – Pour the jarred mincemeat into the prepared crust.
- Step 4 – Prepare Crust – Then lay out the other pie crust on a lightly floured surface. We like to have a clear work surface to spread out the crust.
- Step 5 – Cut Crust – Use a pizza cutter, sharp knife or pastry wheel to cut the pie crust into 16 strips. Cut the crust in approximately ½ inch thick.
- Step 6 – Top Crust – Then carefully thread the strips over and under one another. To make a weave topping on top of the pie. Trim off any excess overhang on the pie. Then crimp the edges of the dough with a fork or with your fingers.
- Step 7 – Brush Egg on top – Gently brush the top of the lattice topping with the lightly beaten egg yolk. Cover the crust with foil or a pie crust shield.
- Step 8 – Bake Pie – Bake the pie for 30 minutes until the pie is golden brown.
- Step 9 – Cool Pie – Cool completely on a wire rack and then the pie is ready to serve and enjoy.
Mincemeat Pie Recipe Tips:
- Make Ahead – I love serving this pie fresh but you can easily make this pie the night before serving.
- Cooking Mincemeat Pie – Bake the pie until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool Pie – Before serving, make sure to cool the pie for at least 15 minutes.
Can I Make Use Homemade Pie Crust?
Yes, you can use a homemade pie crust to make this mincemeat pie. Try this Homemade Pie Crust Recipe. You only need 4 ingredients.
- Cold Butter, cubed
- All Purpose Flour
- Kosher Salt
- Cold Water
Once you combine the ingredients allow the dough to chill in the refrigerator. Cover the dough with plastic wrap while in a large bowl.
- Mincemeat Filling – We used jar mincemeat but you can easily make the filling by scratch. Make it with lemon peel, golden raisins, apricots, and oranges. You can chop everything in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Pie Crust – We used pre-made crust, but you can easily make homemade crust if you prefer.
- Add Flavors – If you prefer you can ingredients to the jarred mincemeat filling. Add in orange zest, orange juice, allspice, and cloves. You can also mix in dark brown sugar for extra sweetness.
How Long does Mincemeat Last:
If stored properly, this pie will last about 4 days. We love to serve with a scoop of ice cream for delicious flavor.
What Spices are in Mince Pies?
The spices that are usually in mince pies includes the following:
- Grated Apples
- Orange Peel
- Orange Juice
Does Jarred Mincemeat need to be Cooked?
If the jarred mincemeat contains animal fats, then it does need to be cooked. But mincemeat is full of dried fruits and butter than those need to cook before placing in the pie crust.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate any leftover pie covered for up to 3-4 days.
Print Recipe for Mincemeat Pie:
- 2 Pre-made Pie Crusts refrigerated
- 29 oz Mincemeat Filling & Topping
- 1 Large Egg lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and move the oven rack to the lowest position in the oven.
- Place one of the chilled pie crusts in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Pour the jarred mincemeat into the prepared crust.
- Then lay out the other pie crust on a floured work surface. Use a pizza cutter, sharp knife or pastry wheel to cut the pie crust into 16 strips that are approximately ½ inch thick. Then carefully thread the strips over and under one another to make a weave topping on top of the pie. Trim off any excess overhang on the pie. Then crimp the edges of the dough with a fork or with your fingers.
- Gently brush the top of the lattice topping with the lightly beaten egg. Cover the crust with foil or a pie crust shield.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes until the pie is golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and then the pie is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe