I have a fun Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe to share with you. They are easy to make and delicious too. The creamy vanilla in the middle of two chocolate chip cookies makes this the best dessert recipe.
Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches:
These homemade ice cream sandwiches are beautiful, delicious, and perfect for Valentine’s Day. Honestly though, they are fun for any occasion. We all think they are the perfect dessert.
There really isn’t anything better than vanilla ice cream squeezed between two chocolate chip cookies. Then rolled again in chocolate chips. As a kid, we called them Chipwhich and it was one my favorite treats.
This recipe taste so much better probably because it’s homemade and I can add as many chocolate chips as I want.
Ice Cream Sandwiches are a crowd pleaser!
My family loves having desserts after dinner every night. This is one they request often because it combines their favorites – ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. They have even started requesting this dessert for birthday instead of cake.
I love that they can grab a ice cream sandwich with their hands and no need for a separate plate. I have even set out different toppings to roll their ice cream sandwich in. It is fun to see their creations.
FOR THE COOKIES:
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Large Egg
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda – You can also use Baking Powder
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
FOR THE SANDWICHES:
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Mini Chocolate Chips (for rolling the sandwiches in)
How to make Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- Prepare the oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together Sugars and Butter – In a large bowl beat with a stand up mixer or hand mixer. Beat together the butter and both sugars. Mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is creamy.
- Add in the eggs and Vanilla – Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add in the eggs and vanilla. Continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Stir together dry ingredients – In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients – Then mix the bowl of dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. We recommend mixing this by hand so that the mixture does not get over mixed. Stir until just combined.
- Add the Chocolate Chips – Next gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Form the Cookie Dough – Then drop the cookie dough onto baking sheets with parchment paper. Make sure they are 2 inches apart in approximately 1.5 tablespoon amounts.
- Bake the Cookies – Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are slightly browned.
- Remove from the Oven – Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then move the light and fluffy cookies to a wire rack to cool completely to room temperature.
- Freeze the Cookies – Then place the cookies in a freezer bag and place them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the Ice Cream Filling – Take one cookie and place a scoop of the ice cream on the cookies. Then top the ice cream with the 2nd cookie.
- Roll in Mini Chocolate Chips – Place the mini chocolate chips in a large wide mouth bowl. Immediately roll the edges of the sandwiches in the mini chocolate chips. So that they chocolate chips stick to the ice cream.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately or wrap them individually in plastic wrap. Then place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2-3 months.
Do you need to soften Ice Cream?
I like to soften the ice cream about 15 minutes prior to putting them on the cookies. Just place ice cream in the refrigerator and then after 15 minutes it should be the perfect softness to assemble your ice cream sandwiches.
Tips for the best Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- Freeze Cookies – Make sure after you baked the cookies and let them cool, that you freeze them. The ice cream sandwiches hold up better when cookie is frozen. Even though the cookie has been frozen, it will still retain its perfect taste.
- Use Good Ice Cream – When I make these delicious Ice Cream Sandwiches, I make sure to use really good vanilla ice cream.
- Dip Immediately – Make sure to roll your ice cream in the chocolate chips or sprinkles immediate so that they stick to the ice cream.
- Try using different cookies – Instead of chocolate chip cookies, make them with double chocolate chip cookies or peanut butter cookies.
- Make Birthday Ice Cream Sandwiches – Use their favorite colors instead of the chocolate chips. You can also mix chocolate chips and the sprinkles together.
- Use different chocolate chips – Use can use dark chocolate chips or peanut butter chocolate.
- Roll in Nuts – Chop up some pecans or walnuts and roll your ice cream sandwich in some chopped nuts.
- Change the Ice Cream – Chocolate Ice Cream would be also instead of Vanilla. Really any flavor ice cream will do.
- Crushed up candy bars – If you have some leftover candy bars, place them in a zip lock bag and crush them up. M&M’s would be a great option as well.
How to store Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches:
This dessert is great to make ahead of time. You can prepare the ice cream sandwiches and wrap them individually in the freezer until you are ready to serve.
I like to place them in a freezer gallon size bag. Then we can just grab one or two when we want one.
How long does Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches last in the freezer:
Once you have wrapped the ice cream sandwiches, they will stay good in the freezer for about 1 to 2 months.
This the perfect treat to make at the beginning of summer and enjoy all summer long.
Great dessert for the kids to help!
This dessert would be great for the kids to help. From making the cookie dough and scooping the ice cream on the cookies to rolling them in the chocolate chips.
It would be a great activity to spend time together and the end result would be a yummy dessert.
Print recipe here for Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches:
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
FOR THE COOKIES:
- 1/2 cup butter softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
FOR THE SANDWICHES:
- 1/2 gallon Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl beat (with a stand up mixer or hand mixer), beat together the butter and both sugars. Mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add in the eggs and vanilla. Continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Then mix the bowl of dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. We recommend mixing this by hand so that the mixture does not get over mixed. Stir until just combined.
- Next gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Then drop the cookie dough onto baking sheets 2 inches apart in approximately 1.5 tablespoon amounts.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are slightly browned.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then move the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Then place the cookies in a freezer bag and place them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Then take one cookie and place a scoop of the ice cream on the cookies then top the ice cream with the 2nd cookie.
- Place the mini chocolate chips in a large wide mouth bowl. Immediately roll the edges of the sandwiches in the mini chocolate chips so that they chocolate chips stick to the ice cream.
- Serve immediately or wrap them individually in plastic wrap, place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2-3 months.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe