This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Heaven on Earth Cake Recipe is creamy, delicious and topped with cherries and cream. If you are craving a sweet and heavenly treat, then this is it.
Easy Heaven on Earth Cake Recipe:
Heaven on Earth Cake is an angel food cake recipe that has a cherry pie filling. It is then topped with cherries and a vanilla creamy mix.
It is a decadent and heavenly treat that is full of flavor. This cake is light and delicious and the perfect treat for any occasion.
Why is it called Heaven on Earth?
This Heaven on Earth cake is part cake, part cherry pie, part pudding. All combined makes this an irresistible treat.
The cake starts with cubed angel food cake, then layered with cherry pie filling and topped with creamy vanilla pudding and cherries. We love that this no bake dessert is almost like a bread pudding.
We love making this for our summer BBQ since it is served cold. The vanilla and cherry filling soaked together to make this creamy, flavorful dessert.
Heaven on Earth Cake Ingredients:
- Angel Food Cake – store bought or make a boxed angel food cake mix and let it cool
- Cherry pie filling
- Vanilla Pudding Mix – just the mix – do not prepare based on the box instructions
- Sour Cream – or plain greek yogurt
- Whipped Topping (Cool Whip), thawed
- Almond Slices, toasted
How to make Heaven on Earth Cake:
- Cut the Cake – Cut the angel food cake into bite size pieces and layer angel food cake. (approximately 1 inch cubes).
- Place in baking dish – Layer half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. Top with 2/3 of the can of the cherry pie filling.
- Then top with the remaining cake pieces.
- Make the Cream filling – In a large bowl whisk together the milk and the pudding. Then mix in the sour cream until well combined.
- Pour onto Cake – Then spread this mixture evenly on top of your cake. You will need to work quickly on this step as the pudding will thicken as it sits.
- Top with whipped topping – Then spread the whipped topping on top of the pudding layer on the cake.
- Add the Cherry Topping – Top the cake with the remaining cherry pie filling.
- Cool and Serve – Refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving. Top with the toasted almond slices when serving and enjoy.
Tips for the Best Cake:
- Change the Cake – Instead of using angel food cake you can use pound cake, different flavors of cake, brownies, or crushed oreos.
- Soak the Cake – Prior to placing the cake in the pan, you can soak it in some sherry wine.
- Homemade Whipped Topping – We used cool whip for an easy ingredient, but you can also make your own whipped topping.
- Baking Dish – We used a 9×13 baking pan, but if you want a thicker cake use a 8×8 square pan.
- Individual desserts. Instead of a large baking dish, use mason jars, clear cups or dessert bowls. It would be so pretty and a great idea when you need an individual dessert.
- Trifle. You can also use a trifle dish so you can see even more of the pretty layers. This is especially gorgeous for special occasions or holidays.
- Make Lemon Custard – We love anything lemon, so we have made this into a lemon custard cake. Add in some fresh lemon juice for an amazing lemon dessert.
- Homemade Angel Food Cake – You can easily make your own Angel Food Cake or pick one up at your local bakery.
- Use Greek Yogurt – For a lighter filling, you can use greek yoqurt instead of sour cream.
- Slivered Almonds – Top with sliced almonds or your favorite nut topping. We love the extra crunch it gives.
- Pudding. Try other flavors such as cheesecake and lemon.
How to Serve:
We like making this cake in a 9×13 bake pan, but it also would be beautiful in a trifle pan. This allows the beautiful layers to be displayed.
When serving the cake because of the many cream layers, it is best to scoop with a large serving spoon. Then we serve it in a bowl or plates with a large serving.
How to Store in the Refrigerator:
Store any leftover cake in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 4-5 days. Make sure that you chill the cake for 4-5 hours before serving so that all the flavors can combine and the pudding layer can set fully.
It’s ok to let the cake sit overnight before serving as well.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, we think it taste the best when prepared the night before serving. The flavors really have a chance to soak into the angel food cake making it very creamy.
Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Can I change the flavor of the pie filling?
Yes, that is one of the many reasons why I love this cake because you can change the pie filling. Here are some of our favorites that we have tried.
- Mixed Berry
The Best Dessert:
The soft and fluffy cake combined with creamy pudding and fruit filling make a great dessert.
You can also easily make this year round for all the seasons. It does not disappoint and will be a big hit.
Print Recipe here for Heaven on Earth Cake:
Heaven on Earth Cake
- 1 prepared Angel Food Cake store bought or make a boxed angel food cake mix and let it cool
- 1 can cherry pie filling 21 oz can
- 1 Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix 3.4 oz (just the mix – do not prepare based on the box instructions)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Sour Cream or plain greek yogurt
- 8 oz Whipped Topping Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 Tbsp Almond Slices toasted
- Cut the angel food cake into bite size pieces (approximately 1 inch cubes).
- Layer half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. Top with 2/3 of the can of the cherry pie filling.
- Then top with the remaining cake pieces.
- Whisk together the milk and the pudding. Then mix in the sour cream until well combined.
- Then spread this mixture evenly on top of your cake. You will need to work quickly on this step as the pudding will thicken as it sits.
- Then spread the whipped topping on top of the pudding layer on the cake.
- Top the cake with the remaining cherry pie filling.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving. Top with the toasted almond slices when serving and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe