Strawberry Jello Poke Cake Recipe is the perfect dessert to bring to family gatherings, pot lucks, holidays and more. With just a few ingredients, this cake is super easy to make and even the kids can help.
Jello Poke Cake Recipe
Strawberry jello poke cake is a really moist and delicious cake recipe that can be made in hardly any time at all. Poke cakes are so much fun to make and this recipe does not disappoint.
We made this with strawberry jello and it was amazing. The whipped topping and fresh berries on top just make this even better.
It is the perfect dessert to make any time of the year and so easy to change to work with what you have on hand. We used a strawberry jello but you can do any flavor of jello that you have.
How to make a Poke Cake?
A poke cake is a cake that you poke holes into after baking. It is then filled with different flavors of Jell-O, caramel sauce, strawberry sauce, really anything you like.
The cake is poked all over to allow the jello mixture to saturate the cake. The flavor gets in the cake for an amazing dessert. The kids love to help with this part and it is so fun to do. They take turns doing so it takes about 15 minutes.
How to poke holes in a cake:
- You can use a fork to poke the cake
- The end of a wooden spoon also works as well.
- Another idea is to use a toothpick.
This is such an easy recipe so just use what you have and make this amazing cake.
Ingredients for jello cake:
- white box cake mix and any ingredients listed on box
- jello mix (We used strawberry but you can use any flavor.)
- Cool Whip – You can also use Homemade Whipped Cream
How to make jello cake:
- First, prepare the cake mix as directed on the box and bake.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Now, it is time for the fun part. Poke the cake all over.
- Next, prepare the jell-o as directed. Mix the Jell-O into the boiling water.
- Then spoon over cake mix until you have used all of the mixture.
- Chill the cake and top with whipped cream. We also added fresh strawberries.
Does poke cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, refrigerate the cake until ready to serve. This is the best cake and so easy to make with just a few ingredients.
This is cake is perfect to make ahead of time. Then I cover and refrigerate until I am ready to serve.
Can you freeze jello poke cake?
You can freeze the cake but I would do so before adding the whipped topping and berries on top of the cake. You can freeze the cake and then add your toppings when ready to serve.
Poke Cake Variations:
We used strawberry gelatin but you can try any flavor you prefer. The ideas are really endless. You can use any jello flavor you have on hand or want to try.
Some ideas include:
Try orange jello poke cake.
Another favorite around here is to use orange jello. This is so refreshing and delicious.
I like to top it with mandarin oranges on top of the cool whip. It is always a hit and everyone raves about it whenever I make it.
Lime jello poke cake is another tasty option.
Lime or lemon jello make a really great cake. The flavor is light and just perfect for this type of cake.
Let us know what type of jello cake with fruit you make!
Variations for Jello Cake:
You can literally just use any flavor or what you already have in your pantry. We have even used vanilla pudding and pie filling in this recipe.
It seeps into the white cake mix and tastes amazing with the whipped topping. I like to cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge so the flavors can blend.
I think it is even better the next day but the hard part is waiting. The kids want to dig in immediately because they all love this recipe so much.
You can really throw this together for hardly any money at all and in just minutes. It is the perfect dessert to feed a crowd or take to a gathering when you need to keep the cost low.
Try using different types of cake!
We typically use a white cake mix for this recipe. But here are some of my favorite cake flavors that would work with this recipe:
- Yellow cake
- Angel food
- Lemon Cake
- Strawberry cake
- If you have been making our recipes for awhile, you know I am a big fan of using what we have or can get on sale at the grocery store. So, I love recipes that are versatile and easy to make work lots of different ways.
This is a great way to help your budget and it will still turn out perfectly. Plus, I think you get to try out lots of different variations that you might not have tried.
How do you store Poke Cake?
Storing leftovers is so easy with this cake. I cover with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator. It will stay good for about 3-5 days.
It normally doesn’t last that long in my house.
Jello poke cake recipe is versatile and so easy.
Just use what you have. You are going to love this cake.
Since we typically use what is on sale at the grocery store or that I already have in the pantry, I cut our grocery bill by 50% off by following these 8 Tips for for Saving Money on Groceries by Menu Planning!
Save that money for something else or to give you family wiggle room in the budget. You will love the money you will save.
Easy recipes like this keep my family happy and my grocery budget in good shape. This is how I keep our grocery budget reasonable and everyone gets to enjoy a great dessert!
Print this jello gelatin cake recipe below:
Jello Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 white cake mix box and any ingredients listed on box
- 3.3 oz jello mix strawberry (you can also use raspberry, cherry )
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tub Cool Whip
- Prepare cake mix as directed and bake in a 9×13 pan. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Poke cake with fork at ½ inch intervals.
- Prepare jell-o as directed. Spoon over cake mix until jell-o liquid is all gone.
- Chill 3 to 4 hours and top with whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More poke cake recipes:
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
- Easy Chocolate Poke Cake recipe
- Red Velvet Poke Cake Recipe
- CHERRY POKE CAKE RECIPE
- Lemon Poke Cake Recipe
- Boston creme poke cake recipe