This Valentines Day Cake Balls Recipe will be a hit with everyone. Valentines Day Cake Bites are easy to make, festive and taste amazing.
Valentine’s Day Cake Balls:
These cake bites are sure to impress everyone this Valentine’s Day! They are just so adorable plus really tasty. We have so much fun making Cake balls.
These little bites of creamy cake and yummy chocolate are so delicious. It’s always so fun to eat bite size foods and this recipe is no exception.
How to decorate cake pops?
Add a few sprinkles on top and you are ready to serve them. Plus, this recipe could easily be changed for other holidays, birthday parties and more!
Just switch up the sprinkles and the color of cake mix that suits the occasion.
Also, make sure to top the cake pops with the sprinkles immediately after they are coated with the chocolate before the chocolate hardens.
Cake Pop Recipe
You can easily turn these into cake pops if you prefer. It is so easy and kids love cake pops for the perfect valentine desserts.
You can use chocolate cake, red velvet cake or any type of cake you like. We love to use a mix of white chocolate and milk chocolate.
How to make Valentine cake pops recipe?
Truly it’s as simple as getting some lollipop sticks to put in them and there you go! It’s that easy to turn these cake balls into cake pops.
Also, it’s totally optional but if you do make cake pops, one of these holders make displaying easy! This is the one I have and I love it.
Tips for making cake pops for Valentine’s Day:
First, a few tips. If you have never made these before, grab more chocolate than you think you need. Better to have more than run out mid baking session.
I use the Wilton Chocolate Dipping spoon. This helps drain the chocolate off the balls and use less chocolate.
We use baking chocolate but you can also use wilton candy melts.
Make sure to work quickly when topping the sprinkles on these cake balls. They will need to be added to the chocolate before it hardens.
How to shape cake pops?
I also recommend a cookie scoop. You can easily make these into balls that are uniform and it’s so easy.
These cake pop hacks will make this so easy!
You will love making cake pops.
Here are the kitchen supplies that you’ll need to make this easy cake ball recipe.
- Large Mixing Bowl – To combine the cake and frosting together in.
- Cake Pan – To prepare and bake the cake in.
- Small Mixing Bowls – To melt the chocolate in for dipping the cake balls.
- Baking Sheets – To place the cake balls on while they cool.
Valentines day cake balls ingredients:
- Cake mix and ingredients to make cake (usually water, egg and oil)
- Frosting of your choice (You can use a homemade Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.)
- White Baking Chocolate
- Dark Baking Chocolate
- Valentine Sprinkles
How to make valentines day cake pops:
Bake cake according to package directions and cool completely at room temperature.
Slice cake into small pieces and place into a large bowl.
Break apart large pieces of the cake with a spoon. Add about ¾ tub of frosting and mix well.
You may need to use your hands for this step. If mixture seems dry and won’t shape into a balls, add more frosting.
Remove the mixture from the bowl and roll into balls. A cookie scoop is the easiest way, just make sure you roll the balls smooth with the palms of your hand.
Roll the cake mixture into balls and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to remove all the cake batter to form them into cake balls. Place onto prepared pan and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Heat chocolate by breaking it apart and placing it into a bowl.
Heat for 2 minutes on 50% power in a microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
Dip cake bites into melted chocolate. I like to place mine upside down and then flip them over to coat them and remove them.
Place onto another baking sheet lined with wax paper, parchment paper or sprayed with non-stick baking spray.
Sprinkle with valentine sprinkles and refrigerate until the chocolate firms up (approximately 10 – 15 minutes).
How to store these cake pops:
Store cake pops in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can also easily freeze these cake pops in a freezer bag or container for up to 4-5 months.
- Change up the cake mix. I used a strawberry cake mix but you can easily use your favorite flavor of cake for this recipe. White Cake Mix, Chocolate and Red Velvet would all be delicious in this simple recipe.
- Use cream cheese instead of frosting. I used a buttercream frosting that I dyed pink for this recipe but it would work great with cream cheese frosting or just cream cheese as well to change up the flavor.
- Use your favorite type of chocolate. I like to use both white chocolate and milk chocolate for coating these cake balls. This gives a great variety of flavors when serving this easy dessert recipe. However, you can easily use your favorite or use a color candy coating as well.
Print your Valentine’s Day Cake Balls Recipe below:
Valentine’s Day Cake Balls Recipe
- 1 box cake mix and ingredients to make cake (usually water, egg and oil)
- 1 tub frosting of your choice or Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 12 ounces white baking chocolate
- 12 ounces dark baking chocolate
- Valentine sprinkles
- Bake cake according to package directions and cool completely.
- Slice cake into small pieces and place into a mixing bowl.
- Break apart large pieces with a spoon. Add about ¾ tub of frosting and mix well.
- You may need to use your hands for this. If mixture seems dry and won’t shape into a ball, add more frosting.
- Place wax paper onto a baking sheet or cutting board and clear a space in your refrigerator.
- Shape cake into 1″ balls, using a tablespoon portion scoop is the easiest way, just make sure you roll the balls smooth with the palms of your hand.
- Place onto prepared pan and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat chocolate by breaking it apart and placing it into a bowl.
- Heat for 2 minutes on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Dip cake bites into chocolate. I like to place mine upside down and then flip them over to coat them and remove them.
- Place onto another baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Sprinkle with valentine sprinkles and refrigerate for chocolate to firm up.
- Makes 60-70 cake bites
- These also freeze well.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
I’m making these Valentine’s Day cake balls right now. I was wondering what flavor of frosting to mix in with the red velvet cake? Can you tell me what you would use? Thanks for your help.
I would mix in vanilla frosting or a cream cheese frosting with a red velvet cake. I hope you enjoy these cake balls!
Awesome recipe! How can I make these a few days in advance?
Yes, you can make these in advance. I store them in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.