Brownies are probably one of my all time favorite desserts and nothing is better than homemade brownies! I created this Homemade Brown Mix so that I can have delicious brownies in even less time!
Homemade Brownie Mix is Easy to Make:
This may seem silly, but this is one of the coolest ideas I think I have come up with -making your own “boxed” brownies. My family loves the convenience of boxed mix, but sometimes we don’t get the best deal on them.
Now, you can make your own homemade brownies and still get the convenience. I love making a big batch of these homemade brownie mixes so that my pantry is stocked and I can make brownies in no time at all.
This is a quick and easy recipe.
Why Make a Brownie Mix?
My family loves my homemade brownies but it takes some time to mix up the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients. Then I had a thought, what if half the work was already done and I already had the dry ingredients ready?
This would save half of the time for the next time I wanted brownies. I immediately pulled out some quart size storage baggies and tried it out. When I was mixing up my dry ingredients in my bowl, I added the same amounts to the storage bags as well.
This is how my homemade box brownie from scratch was born. The pre-made dry ingredients worked great and my family has been enjoying brownies even quicker ever since!
Ingredients for Homemade Brownie Recipe:
I bet you already have the ingredients needed for this recipe in your pantry. I don’t love anything too complicated and I promise that this recipe is not difficult either.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
That’s all you need. 5 ingredients is all you need to create this easy and convenient homemade brownie mix.
How to Make Brownie Mix:
- Step 1 – First, I like to get out all the ingredients that I need to create these box brownie mixes. Also, I get all the measuring cups needed for this recipe.
- Step 2 – Then I get out the storage bags or mason jars for the amount of mixes that I want to create and I label them so that I remember what these are when I’m digging around in my pantry.
- Step 3 – Then I use my freezer bag holders that I purchased on amazon to help keep the storage bags open. These bag holders are amazing and help when I not only create freezer meals but when I made these pre-made mixes as well.
- Step 4 – After everything is set up, I start adding the needed ingredients. I add each ingredient one at a time and ensure that I add the ingredients to each bag before starting the next.
- Step 5 – Once all the sugar is added, then I begin to add the cocoa powder.
- Step 6 – Continuing filling the bags until all bags have been filled.
Homemade Brownie Mix Process:
This recipe is so easy, you can do as many as you would like at once. I generally do at least 4 bags when I create this recipe. It is easy to double the recipe.
Instead of dragging everything out just for one pan of brownies, I created 4 mixes while I was making my batch of brownies. Now, I don’t have to drag out the flour and sugar for the next 4 times I make brownies.
Not only do I save time because I don’t have to mix up the dry ingredients, I also save time because I don’t have to wash another bowl the next time I made delicious homemade brownies.
How to Make Homemade Brownies:
Now that half of the work is done, creating brownies when you want them takes no time at all!
- Step 1 – Mix in a large mixing bowl my homemade brownie dry mix with 2 eggs, ½ cup melted butter and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Step 2 – Then I bake brownie batter in a preheated oven at 350 in a 8-inch square baking pan that has been greased with a cooking spray or a small amount of vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- Step 3 – Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and then you have a delicious batch of brownies to enjoy! It is best to cut when brownies are at room temperature. Yummy!
- Step 4 – Dust your brownies with powdered sugar after they are cooked for a fun twist. It gives the brownies a crackly top.
It really is that simple. With this homemade brownie mix recipe, you can have homemade brownies anytime you want!
Can you Make these Brownies in a 9X13 pan?
Yes, I have made these delicious chocolate brownies in a 9X13 pan. I used 2 of the pre-packaged brownie mixes and double the wet ingredients as well.
Since the brownies will be in a bigger pan, you don’t have to cook it as long since the brownies will be a bit thinner. I allowed to cook for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees until the brownies were cooked through. Bake time will vary.
Generally, I use the 8X8 pan because my entire family will eat all the brownies that this creates and I don’t have to worry about being tempted with these brownies the next day. I have a family of 10, so it doesn’t take long for brownies to be devoured in our household!
How to Store Homemade Brownie Mix:
After my brownie mixes have been created, I store them in a plastic container in my pantry.
Then in the plastic container, I wrote the ingredients that I needed to add when I create some chocolate brownies on a piece of paper and I store these instructions in the plastic container as well.
This way I don’t have to look up these ingredients and then I can quickly make brownies with my homemade mix.
What Can you Add to this Brownie Mix?
This homemade brownie mix is pretty amazing by itself but you can add in your favorite sweets to make these even better!
- Stir in ¾ cup of chocolate chips to make these brownies even more chocolatey!
- White Chocolate Chips would would be amazing mixed in.
- My husband loves when I mix in butterscotch chips.
- Mix in some of your favorite nuts. We love the crunch and flavor it adds to the brownies.
You can mix these in your storage bags or you can add them in on the day you create your brownies.
If I’m having guests over, I love creating a different variety of brownies so that everyone can enjoy their favorite type!
How Long will Brownie Mix last:
Homemade Brownie Mix will last about 3 months if stored properly.
Print this Homemade Brownie Mix Recipe below:
Homemade Brownie Mix Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour you can use ¼ cup whole wheat and ¼ cup of regular flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Dump all the ingredients in a ziploc bag. Do this several times to make multiple batches (I try and at least do 4 at a time). Then on a piece of paper or note card, write:
- ” Mix well with 2 eggs, ½ melted cup butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour into greased 8×8 pan. Cook for 25-30 minutes in 350 degree oven.”
- That is it! You just made your own boxed brownies.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
These are the best brownies I’ve ever had, by far!!! We make them all the time, thanks for posting!!
So, melt butter and THEN measure 1/2 cup melted? Or, use the markings on the butter stick for 1/2 cup and then melt that amount? Sorry, just wanting to make sure I understand.
I use the markings on the butter stick. Then I melt…. or you can use vegetable oil. Either way!
Thanks for the idea. I am giving this as Christmas presents
GREAT idea for gift giving
Any time I want brownies, I make these. I always add chocolate chips to it. Sometimes I even swirl some dulce de leche in them. Amazing!!!
How far ahead can I make these if I am giving them for Christmas gifts? Thanks
They are generally good for about 4-5 months so I think you would be ok making them 1-2 months ahead of time before gifting them.
You forgot to tell the amounts of the dry ingredients!