This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
These Apple Fries is the perfect dessert or snack. Apple wedges are dipped into a cinnamon sugar mixture and then fried for amazing flavor.
Easy Apple Fries Recipe:
We love these apple fries for many reason. They are loaded with flavor and taste like an apple pie. It is a delicious treat that can be enjoyed for a snack, side dish or a dessert.
The apples wedges are seasoned with a cornstarch, fried and then tossed in a cinnamon sugar mixture. It is a tender snack with a crispy texture. You will love the sweet and delicious flavor of these fried apple sticks.
These apple fries are delicious served with a caramel dip or vanilla ice cream. We have even topped with whipped cream for a last minute snack.
What are Apple Fries?
Apple fries are a lot like French Fries but made with tart apples. Apples are peeled, cored, and sliced then tossed in cornstarch.
Then the apple slices are then placed in fresh oil for a few minute to deep fry. Fried apple wedges are then tossed in a cinnamon sugar mixture. They have a tender inside but cooked with a crispy texture.
This is the perfect treat any day of the year.
- Large Tart/ Crisp Apples
- Granulated Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- Caramel Sauce (for serving)
How to Make Apple Fries:
- Step 1 – Heat Oil – Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large pot until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Prepare Apples – Peel, core and slice the apples (approximately the size of French fries).
- Step 3 – Cornstarch – Toss the apple slices in the cornstarch until the slices are well coated with the cornstarch.
- Step 4 – Whisk Sugar and Cinnamon – In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- Step 5 – Fry Fresh Apples – Fry the apple slices in the hot oil (in batches) for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Flipping halfway through the cook time and until the apples are soft and are lightly golden brown.
- Step 6 – Remove Apples – Then remove the apples with a slotted spoon. Move to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Step 7 – Continue Frying – Continue this process until all the apples are fried.
- Step 8 – Cinnamon and Sugar – Roll the apple fries in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Apples – Feel free to use different types of apples for this recipe. Choose from granny smith apples, pink lady, or honey crisp. For a sweeter apple choose from fuji or golden delicious. Depending on the apple you choose it may change the flavor or texture.
- All Purpose Flour – We used cornstarch in this recipe, but you substitute with flour. This helps to give a crispy coating on the apple fries.
- Sugar Substitute – If you prefer to use a sugar substitute that fits into you diet, you can. Choose from coconut sugar or raw can sugar. It might change the taste slightly.
- Spices – We love the flavor that cinnamon gives the apple fries. But you can also use nutmeg, apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice.
- Vegetable Oil – We used vegetable oil in this recipe but you can use other high smoke point oil option. Canola Oil or sunflower oil are a great option.
How to Serve Apple Fries:
This easy recipe can be served in many different ways. We have enjoyed them as a snack, dessert and even as a side dish. Here are some of our favorite ways to serve apple pie fries.
- Dipping Sauce – Serve these apple fries with a caramel dipping sauce or fruit dipping sauce. We love to mix marshmallow cream with cream cheese.
- Whipped Cream – Place apple fries in a bowl and top with whipped cream for a delicious treat.
- Ice Cream – Serve these apple fries with a scoop of your favorite ice cream. We love vanilla but a caramel ice cream would be delicious.
- Side Dish – This is a great side dish for breakfast. Serve with your eggs and bacon for a sweet and savory breakfast.
- Slicing Apples – When preparing the apples for frying, make sure to cut them about the same size. We recommend cutting them about ½ inch thick. About the same size of French Fries.
- Prepare Apples – Prepare apples by slicing, peeling and coring apples to prepare to fry them.
- Frying the Apples – Fry the apples in a single layer in the hot oil. Make sure to flip to cook both sides.
How to Store Leftovers:
We recommend eating apple fries as soon as you cook them. If you do have leftovers, store in the fridge. Make sure to place in an air tight container. They will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Peel, core and slice the apples in about ½ inch slices. You do not want them to thick but not to thin. Make sure they are about the same size to ensure they cook evenly.
While your apples are waiting to be fried, you can place the apples in water with a little lemon juice. This will help to keep them from turning brown. Make sure to dry them really well before placing in the cornstarch.
Yes, you can air fry apple fries. Place in an air fryer basket in a single layer. We recommend spraying with cooking spray. The texture may be slightly different but the taste will still be amazing.
Print Recipe for Apple Fries:
- Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large pot until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel, core and slice the apples (approximately the size of French fries).
- Toss the apple slices in the cornstarch until the slices are well coated with the cornstarch.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- Fry the apple slices in the hot oil (in batches) for 2-3 minutes (flipping halfway through the cook time) until the apples are soft and are lightly golden brown.
- Then remove the apples with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Continue this process until all the apples are fried.
- Roll the apple fries in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Then the fries are ready to serve with caramel sauce for dipping and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe