This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Penne recipe is the best comfort food and loaded with tons of creamy chicken and cheesy pasta. The slow cooker does all the work making this meal super easy but oh so delicious.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Penne Recipe:
This is one easy recipe but most amazing one pot meals we have made. Each bite is so decadent with all of the creamy and cheesy sauce covering the chicken and pasta.
If you are looking for comfort food and something that is easy, cheesy chicken penne is the best recipe. We have served this for potlucks and family dinners and everyone always asks for more.
This recipe is kid friendly, family favorite and loaded with flavor. The ingredients are simple so it is the perfect weeknight meal. Easy to prep and throw in the slow cooker when you head out the door.
What type of Pasta can I use?
We used penne pasta in this recipe but you can also use Rotini, bowtie pasta or fettuccini noodles. Make sure to not over cook the noodles and cook them according to the pasta package.
- Chicken Breasts
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Dried Thyme
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese
- Penne Pasta
How to Make Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Penne:
- Step 1 – Place chicken, chicken soup, broth, pepper, thyme, mushrooms and onions in the crock pot.
- Step 2 – Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Step 3 – Shred the chicken.
- Step 4 – Stir in the sour cream, cooked penne and half the cheddar cheese. Make sure pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Step 5 – –Stir until melted.
- Step 6 – Top with remaining cheddar cheese and cover until melted.
- Step 7 – Serve and enjoy this delicious pasta recipe. Top with parmesan cheese and side of garlic bread.
What to Serve with Crockpot Cheesy Chicken Pasta?
Keep it simple and enjoy! No need for complicated recipes or fancy ingredients. You can cook a really great dinner for your family with very little work when you use the slow cooker. You will be surprised how easy this recipe is.
It is so easy to prepare and the perfect meal for everyone to come home to. Each bite is so amazing!
- Side Salad – Our favorite sides include a simple salad. Since this crockpot recipe is so hearty, we like to keep it simple with a green salad.
- Garlic Bread – Making Garlic bread is a must and this Garlic Bread Cheese Sticks Recipe is one of our favorites. Bread is a must to dip into that delicious sauce and get every last drop.
- Roasted Vegetables – This meal is also delicious with Roasted Green Beans. You can also learn how to steam broccoli in the microwave. Makes for a super easy veggie side dish.
Cheesy Chicken Crock Pot Tips:
- Chicken – Season the chicken with some salt and pepper and place in the slow cooker. You can easily make this recipe with boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
- Mixing Ingredients – If you prefer, you can combine the cream of chicken soup with the seasoning. This make sure everything is mixed well and covers the chicken.
- Chicken Broth – Use chicken broth or chicken stock to create a creamy sauce.
- Pasta Separate – If you would like, you can leave pasta separate and not mix in with the chicken mixture. Then serve it the chicken mixture over the top.
Is this Recipe Freezer-Friendly?
This recipe freezes great but in parts. We recommend combining the ingredients in a freezer bag except for the sour cream and pasta. We do not recommend adding the sour cream as it doesn’t freeze well.
Just add it with the frozen ingredients when you are ready to cook.
- Change the Pasta – You can use any type of pasta you have on hand. It is delicious with any pasta. Try elbow, linguine, bowtie or whatever you have.
- Use Rice – Skip the pasta and use rice instead for a delicious chicken and rice dish. (Learn how to freeze rice and you can make this easier.)
- Chicken – Substitute chicken thighs for the boneless skinless chicken breasts or use a combination of both.
- Skip the Mushrooms – Omit the mushrooms if your family isn’t a fan.
- Add Peppers – Add bell peppers to the onion mixture. We like the color and the texture it gives the pasta dish.
- Stir in Broccoli – Try adding frozen broccoli to the dish and you will have your side dish too.
- Other Vegetables – Other vegetables to add in are diced carrots, corn, peas and green chiles. The options are endless and a good way to hide those veggies.
- Cream Cheese – For a creamier flavor, mix in cream cheese.
- Seasoning – You can easily change the seasoning by adding in Italian seasoning or garlic powder.
Try making 3 Cheese Chicken Penne:
If you love cheese like we do, try adding mozzarella and parmesan for extra cheesy goodness. This is a big hit around here because who doesn’t love more cheese. Easy to make and delicious too. Your family will be excited for this chicken pasta recipe.
How to Store Crockpot Chicken Casserole:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Leftovers will stay good for about days. We think this pasta dish is even better the next day because the ingredients really marinate together.
When you are ready to serve this pasta chicken recipe, reheat in a large skillet or in the microwave.
Print this Crockpot Cheesy Chicken Penne Recipe below:
Crock pot cheesy chicken penne recipe
- Place chicken, chicken soup, broth, pepper, thume, mushrooms and onions in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred the chicken.
- Stir in the sour cream, cooked penne and half the cheddar cheese.
- Stir until melted.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese and cover until melted.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Crock Pot Chicken Casserole Recipes:
- Crock Pot Pesto Chicken Pasta Casserole Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
- Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe