These delicious Homemade Twix Bars Recipe has the irresistible shortbread crust and the caramel and chocolate layer that is perfect to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth. If you are a Twix Bar fan, you are going to love that you make them at home.
Homemade Twix Bars Recipe:
We love Twix Candy Bars. There is nothing better than layers of caramel and chocolate blended together to make the ultimate candy bar. I am glad that we can now make them at home. We love easy recipes, especially dessert ones.
This Homemade Twix Bar has the ultimate shortbread crust, homemade caramel center and topped with the best chocolate layer. This three layer dessert bar is the best dessert any day of the week.
I love making this Homemade Twix Bar for family or for a cookie exchange for the holiday. It is always a hit anytime I make them. The best part is that I usually have the ingredients always on hand.
Can they be made ahead of time?
This is a great dessert to be made ahead of time. Simply make them as indicated and place them in container that you can cover with a lid. Then place the bars in the fridge.
Once you are ready to serve, place on the counter. Because the layers are so thick, try using a warm knife to cut. Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
There is just something about the Twix Layers that just go together. Each layer is so delicious by itself so together makes the perfect dessert.
Shortbread Layer – The shortbread layer is what really makes this dessert bar. I love a good shortbread cookie. Shortbread cookies isn’t always a cookie we grab like we do a brownie or chocolate chip cookie. I was amazed how easy the shortbread crust was to make.
Caramel Center – I just love the gooey center of these Twix Bars. The caramel layer is so good and even better it is made from scratch. Tasting homemade caramel just makes me always want to make it instead of purchasing from the store.
Chocolate Topping – The melting chocolate layer is the perfect top to this already delicious bar. Try it with dark or semi-sweet chocolate!
- All Purpose Flour
- Powdered Sugar
- Butter, softened
- Brown Sugar
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Corn Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips
- Heavy Whipping Cream
How to make Homemade Twix Bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9X9 baking pan with parchment paper or grease with Cooking Spray.
Make the shortbread layer
- Stir together the flour and powdered sugar
- Then cut in the butter until it is mixed together to form a crumb mixture.
- Then press this mixture down into the bottom of the 9X9 pan and bake for 20 minutes or under shortbread is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Make the caramel layer
- Add the butter to a small sauce pan.
- Melt over medium high heat.
- Then stir in the brown sugar. Stir and cook until the butter and sugar is dissolved (stirring constantly).
- Then whisk in the condensed milk, corn syrup and vanilla extract.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Then remove from the heat and stir for a few more minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread layer and allow for it to cool completely.
Make the chocolate layer
- Put the chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat in 30 second intervals (stirring after each interval) until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Then pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer (make sure that the caramel layer is firm).
- Refrigerate the entire pan for 20-30 minutes until the chocolate is fully set.
- The cut into bars with a sharp knife and enjoy!
Can you freeze Homemade Twix Bars?
Yes. This is a great recipe to make and freeze. You will assembly the layers as indicated and place in container that you can cover with a lid. Then place the bars in the freezer.
When you are ready to serve them, just place them on the counter to defrost them. They will be as tasty as the day you made them.
Can you change out the chocolate?
Yes. We used milk chocolate in this recipe but you can also use dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate.
You can use any chocolate you prefer.
Tips for the Perfect Twix Bars:
- Spray or Line your Baking Pan – For easy removal after they have been in the refrigerator, spray your pan with cooking spray or line your baking pan with parchment paper.
- Making Caramel – Make sure to watch the pan when making the caramel sauce. Be sure to stir the caramel sauce often so that it doesn’t burn. Making caramel is easy and taste so much better than buying it at the store.
- Bars need time to chill – When you are done making the bars, we all want to dig right into them. It is important to give them time to chill in the refrigerator. They cut best when chilled properly and it gives time for all the layers to set.
- Cut with a good knife – It is best to cut the bars with a sharp warm knife. If I need to warm up the knife, I simply place under warm water and then dry off with a hand towel. This way you have perfectly shaped bars.
Print Recipe here for Homemade Twix Bars:
Homemade Twix Bars
- 1 1/4 cup All purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2/3 cup Butter softened
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 Tbsp Corn Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Chocolate Chips
- 1/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9X9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the shortbread layer. Stir together the flour and powdered sugar and then cut in the butter until it is mixed together to form a crumb mixture. Then press this mixture down into the bottom of the 9X9 pan and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Then make the caramel layer. Add the butter to a small sauce pan. Melt over medium high heat. Then stir in the brown sugar. Stir and cook until the sugar is dissolved (stirring constantly). Then whisk in the condensed milk, corn syrup and vanilla extract. Bring this mixture to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring constantly. Then remove from the heat and stir for a few more minutes until the mixture starts to thicken. Pour the caramel over the shortbread layer and allow for it to cool completely.
- Then make the chocolate layer. Put the chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe pan. Heat in 30 second intervals (stirring after each interval) until the chocolate is completely melted. Then pour the chocolate over the caramel layer (make sure that the caramel layer is firm). Refrigerate the entire pan for 20-30 minutes until the chocolate is fully set.
- The cut into bars with a sharp knife and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe