You have to try this fun homemade graham crackers recipe. They are fun and easy to make with the kids. Once you try this graham crackers recipe, you’ll never turn back!
As many of you know I love to try new things and cook from scratch. Today I want to show you how to make graham crackers easily. You might be asking why I’d be making something that is so easy to pick up at the store. These graham crackers are just too good to pass up!
I’m not the best baker, but it is fun to get dirty in the kitchen with the kids. All of my kids love to bake – no matter the age, they just love it. It is the one way that we can count on spending time together, which seems to be getting harder and harder the older they get.
We made homemade graham crackers and the kids just loved them. They are delicious and very easy to make and they are a perfect addition to our frugal after school snacks series.
What goes good on graham crackers?
Graham crackers are so versatile and can be used for so much more than s’mores! Personally I love this homemade version better than store bought graham crackers because they hold up when you are smashing the s’mores.
We love using them as a dipper in some of our favorite dessert dips like this easy cookie dough dip recipe or in this easy cake batter dip. These dips are so delicious and perfect for kids and adults too! They would make the prettiest dessert trays.
Homemade graham crackers are also delicious dunked into chocolate pudding or yogurt! And if we’re being honest here, homemade graham crackers make the best ice cream sandwiches! Especially if you’re also using homemade ice cream!
How do you make graham crackers from scratch?
I always get some of the craziest looks when I mention that I make homemade graham crackers. Honestly, when I first heard about them I just knew they had to be complicated and not worth the effort. Boy was I wrong!
Making homemade graham crackers is so much easier than it sounds. If you can mix up a basic dough (there isn’t even any yeast!) and roll it out, you can make your own graham crackers! Promise. This really is a great recipe for anyone to try!
You might be wondering where in the world you get Graham flour from. The good news is that you don’t have to! Graham flour is basically a coarse whole wheat flour. When I make graham crackers I prefer to use King Arthur stone -milled whole wheat flour. Its texture is perfect.
How do you store them?
Once you’ve baked your graham crackers to perfection to need to allow them to cool completely before storing them. Once they’re room temperature, wrap in plastic and place them in an airtight container. They can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If they begin to get stale, crush them and use them as a graham cracker crust!
Additionally, you can mix up the dough beforehand and freeze it to bake at a later date. All you need to do is thaw it, and let it come back to room temperature before rolling it out and baking them.
Ingredients for graham crackers:
- Softened Butter
- Brown Sugar
- All-purpose Flour
- Wheat Flour (I like to use King Arthur Stone Milled)
- Baking Soda
How to Make Graham Crackers:
1. In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and honey until light and fluffy.
2. In a separate medium bowl, mix the regular flour with the baking soda. Gradually add in flour mixture and wheat flour alternating between them until incorporated.
3. Roll out the dough between sheets of wax or parchment paper to about 1/8” thickness.
4. Cut or score the sheets of dough into individual cracker sizes. A pizza wheel works perfectly to cut the dough! Use a skewer or toothpick to make holes in the crackers. If you want cinnamon sugar graham crackers, top the dough with a cinnamon-sugar mixture before cutting.
5. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes to harden.
6. Line a baking sheet with silicone or parchment paper. I love using my silicone baking mat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Separate cookies and place on your prepared baking sheet.
8. Bake until the crackers begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
Oh, the kids just had so much fun with this homemade treat. Store-bought graham cracker are delicious, but the kids loved their version much more because they made them all together.
If you are looking for a fun treat idea to make with your kids this Summer then I suggest this easy homemade graham crackers recipe.
Try this variation idea:
You can also make cinnamon graham crackers. I would follow the recipe as stated, but right before you put them in the oven, sprinkle them with this cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake as normal. You will have just made cinnamon graham crackers which are one of my kids favorites!
Print this Graham Crackers recipe below:
Homemade Graham Crackers
- 1 cup softened Butter
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and honey. Mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the regular flour and the baking soda. Gradually add in flour mixture and wheat flour alternating between them until incorporated.
- Roll out dough between sheets of wax or parchment paper to about 1/8″ thickness.
- Cut or score the sheets of dough into individual cracker sizes. A pizza wheel works perfectly to cut the dough! Use a skewer or toothpick to make holes in the crackers. If you want cinnamon sugar graham crackers, top the dough with a cinnamon-sugar mixture before cutting.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
- Line a cookie sheet with silicone or parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Separate cookies and place on prepared sheet.
- Bake until crackers begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other delicious homemade recipes:
- Watermelon Popsicles
- Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- Homemade Biscuits
- Cake Batter Dip Recipe
- How to Make Whipped Cream
Recipes to make with Graham Crackers:
Don’t forget to check out all our other kid approved fun and frugal after school snacks.