This delicious and easy lemon bars recipe is so simple to make and they turn out absolutely perfect. You get the perfect balance of sweet and tangy for the best lemon flavor. The powdered sugar on top makes it even better!
Easy lemon bars recipe
You are going to love these easy Lemon squares! Who doesn’t love a delicious lemon bars recipe?
I love baking! I really do. There is just something about being in the kitchen and whipping up some delicious goodies that makes me happy.
Although I have done a lot of baking, I have never tried a Lemon Bars recipe. Crazy! I know.
Anyway, I was having a bit of a craving for something sweet and something sour so it seemed like the perfect time to try making my own Lemon Bars recipe.
The results… Delicious!
The ingredients are actually very easy! In fact, you probably have everything on hand.
Lemon bars are perfect for a 9×13 pan.
The lemon bars are best in a 9×13 baking pan. This seems to make them the perfect thickness.
Make sure to line the pan with foil and also spray with non stick cooking spray. This will make getting the bars out to cut them so much easier.
You can also line the baking pan with parchment paper.
Ingredients for easy lemon bars:
Ingredients for the Crust:
- powdered sugar
Ingredients for the Filling:
- granulated sugar
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- lemon extract
- baking powder
How to make lemon bars:
First, go ahead and preheat the oven. I also like to line the baking pan with foil and spray it with non stick cooking spray. This makes removing from the pan and cutting it so much easier.
Now it is time to start making the crust. Cream the powdered sugar and softened butter together.
Slowly add the the flour in increments until fully mixed.The dough will be thick but that is normal.
Dump the dough in the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. The dough isn’t very sticky, so you can just use your fingers to spread the dough out.
Bake until it starts to brown slightly on the edges. Do not let the top brown at all!
While the crust is baking, mix the filling together.
Mix the granulated sugar, eggs, lemon juice and extract all together with the mixer. Sprinkle baking powder into filling and mix until just blended.
You do not want to over mix!
As soon as you remove the crust from the oven, pour the lemon filling on top of the crust.
Bake until the top is no longer “jiggly”. Once the top starts to brown a little, it is time to take it out.
Let the bars cool completely. Remove the lemon bars from the pan and cut into squares.
By the time it is cooked you will CRAVING for a bite. Seriously… don’t they look delicious?
How to store lemon bars:
Lemon bars are fine to leave out at a party and such for a few hours. However, they do need to be refrigerated if you have leftovers or plan to serve them later.
These are best served within a day or two of baking.
Can you freeze lemon bars?
Yes, you can. However, I would recommend not adding the powdered sugar until ready to serve.
Just cut the bars and freeze in a single layer. When ready to enjoy, thaw and add the confectioners sugar.
Is your mouth watering yet?
I just made these the other day and my mouth is watering again just thinking about this delicious Lemon Bars recipe! 😉 Now, you might have noticed the crisper crust on these bars.
I really like it – crisp top, lemony center, shortbread crust! What’s not to love?
I think this would be perfect for the holidays, cookouts, potlucks and more!
You can also try lemon bars with graham cracker crust.
These lemon bars can also be made with a graham cracker crust. Feel free to use what your family prefers.
We love this graham cracker crust recipe here.
Try classic lemon bars today!
Give it a try and let me know what you think! These classic lemon bars are so easy to make and taste amazing.
The powdered sugar on top with the lemon zest and lemon flavor come together for a great dessert. It is a must try and one of our favorite easy lemon recipes.
Print this lemon bars recipe below:
Lemon Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9″x13″ pan with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray (this make removing from the pan and cutting SO much easier).
- For the crust – cream the powdered sugar and softened butter together. Slowly add flour, ½ cup at a time, until fully integrated. The dough will be thick.
- Dump dough into prepared pan and spread evenly along the bottom of the pan. The dough isn’t very sticky, so I just used my fingers to spread the dough out.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 15-20. When it starts to brown ever so slightly on the edges, you know its done. Do not let the top brown at all.
- While the crust is baking, mix together the filling.
- Mix granulated sugar, eggs, lemon juice and extract together with electric mixer. Sprinkle baking powder into filling and mix until just blended (don’t over mix).
- As soon as you remove the crust from the oven, pour the lemon filling on top of the crust.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes. You will know this is done when the top is no longer “jiggly”. Once the top starts to brown a little, its time to take it out.
- Let cool completely. Remove the Lemon Bars from the pan and cut into squares. These are best served within a day or two of baking.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
You might also like Lemon Poke Cake Recipe for another easy and delicious cake recipe.
Give this Lemon Bars recipe a try and let us know what your family thinks. We can’t wait to hear all about it!