This 7 Layer Bars is loaded with chocolate, butterscotch, and coconut all combined on a graham cracker crust. Decadent Layers make up this easy dessert recipe.
7 Layer Bars Recipe:
We love making these 7 Layer Bars dessert bars. The bars are loaded with some of our favorite flavors. It includes butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts. These ingredients are combined with other simple ingredients and then topped on a buttery graham cracker crust.
This 7 layer Bars Recipe are also called Magic Cookie Bars. I grew up making these bars for all of our holiday gatherings and they are so addicting. They are the perfect amount of sweetness and are so decadent.
We love that there are many ways you can make these bars. You can leave out the coconut if you are not a fan or use different chocolate flavored chips. We have even used peanut butter chips instead of butterscotch chips. The options are endless.
Why is it called a 7 Layer Bar?
The reason these dessert bars are called 7 layer bar is because of the many layers of deliciousness. Once you have made the graham cracker crust with butter, it is pressed in a pan so the other ingredients can be layered on.
You start by adding the different flavors of chocolate chips and butterscotch chips and chopped nuts. Then pour the sweetened condensed over the top and then sprinkle with coconut.
The bars have a layer effect because of the different ingredients. These ingredients are added on top of each other. It makes the best dessert for any occasion. If you like easy desserts, you should make our chocolate covered rice krispie treats recipe.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Butter, melted and cooled
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Pecans
- Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz.)
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
How to Make 7 Layer Bars:
- Prepare the Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9X13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make Graham Cracker Crust – Mix together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Then press this mixture into the baking dish into an even layer.
- Top with Chocolate Chips and Nuts – Top this crust evenly with the chocolate chips. Butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips and pecans.
- Add the Condensed Milk – Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top as evenly as possible.
- Top with Coconut – Sprinkle the coconut on top and press it down slightly.
- Bake Bars – Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Baking and Cooling – Allow the bars to cool completely in the pan. 1-2 hours at room temperature or 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Serve and Enjoy – Then remove the bars from the pan, cut into bars and enjoy!
Should you Refrigerate 7 Layer Bars?
These 7 Layer Bars do not need to be refrigerated. They can be kept at room temperature. But if you like them chilled, I would place them in the refrigerated. We find when we do place them in the refrigerator they are less crumbly.
How long do these Bars keep:
These 7 Layer Bars will stay fresh up to 5 to 7 days. We have a designated area that we place all of our holiday baked goods so they are easily visible. These layer magic bars are great left on the counter, or you can refrigerate them.
7 Layer Bars Variations:
The reason we love these 7 Layer Bars so much is because the ingredients can be changed to what you have on hand. Here are some of our favorite variations:
- Change the Crust – Instead of using a graham cracker crust you can change it to crushed vanilla wafers. Really any cookie mixed with melted butter would be amazing.
- Omit Coconut – If you don’t like coconut, you can just omit it. I know a lot of people don’t like it, so you can easily sprinkle half of the bars with coconut.
- Change the Chocolate – You can use peanut butter chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips. We think it is great to change the flavoring.
- Double up the Chocolate – You can double up on the chocolate chips if you prefer or layer with ½ cup of chocolate chips.
- Add more nuts – Add more nuts or use a mixture of nuts. Walnuts, pecans, and almonds would be a good options.
How to Cut Bars Clean:
If you struggle with cutting desserts bars clean, use the following tips and tricks to help evenly cut the bars.
- Cooking Spray – Spray your sharp knife with cooking spray in between cutting.
- Hot Water – In between cutting, dip your sharp knife in hot water then wipe clean before cutting.
How to Store 7 Layer Bars:
Store the leftovers in an air tight container at room temperature for 5-7 days. If you live in a warm area, then you will want to store them in the refrigerator.
Easy Holiday Recipe:
We love the texture and flavor of this recipe. It is always a crowd pleaser and one of our favorite recipes to make. I think it is my go-to recipe when I need something quick and easy to make.
The combination of the layers of chocolate, butterscotch and coconut really gives this bar so much flavor. We love that the texture is amazing and we can use ingredients that we have on hand.
This dessert doesn’t require you to dirty up a bunch of dishes. Ingredients are simple and the kids love to help to make this easy holiday dessert.
Print Recipe here for 7 Layer Bars:
7 Layer Bars
- 2 1/2 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 3/4 Cup Butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Butterscotch Chips
- 1 cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk 14 oz.
- 1 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9X13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Then press this mixture into the pan into an even layer.
- Top this crust evenly with the chocolate chips. Butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips and pecans.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle the coconut on top and press it down slightly.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow the bars to cool completely in the pan. 1-2 hours at room temperature or 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Then remove the bars from the pan, cut into bars and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Bar Recipes:
- Easy Oreo Magic Bars Recipe
- No Bake Peanut Butter Oats Bars Recipe
- Chocolate Butterscotch Cake Mix Cookie Bars