These Scotcheroos Bars Recipe is the perfect combination of chocolate, peanut butter, and Rice Krispie cereal. This is an easy treat that you can make anytime of the week.
Scotcheroos Bars Recipe
These all-time favorite treats are simple, chewy, and full of flavor. They are so easy to make and my family loves the chocolate and peanut butter no bake combination.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter is my favorite dessert combination. Plus I love the traditional Rice Krispie Treat so I knew combining the two would be a hit for my family.
These chocolate bar treats are perfect anytime of the year. Rather you have them as an after dinner treat for your family or a must-have at your holiday dessert table everyone will be coming back for more.
What are Scotcheroos Bars?
Chocolate Scotcheroos bars are a puffed rice, peanut butter and chocolate treat. The reason they are called Scotcheroos is because of the butterscotch chips that are added.
This classic treat is on the top of my list every holiday. I like the twist from the traditional Rice Krispie Treat that are usually made.
- Rice Krispies cereal
- Peanut butter
- Light corn syrup
- Chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
How to make Scotcheroos Bars?
These no-bake treats are quick to make that even the kids can help!
- First, Grease a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and then set aside.
- Pour Rice Krispies into a large bowl.
- Bring peanut butter and corn syrup to a boil in a medium pot while dissolving the sugar. Once this mixture has started boiling, cook over medium heat. Be sure to stir constantly.
- Pour hot mixture over rice krispies. Stirring peanut butter mixture in well.
- Then pour into the greased 9×13 pan and gently press down with a spatula.
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in a small pot, stirring constantly on low heat.
- Pour melted chocolate chips and butterscotch chips over the pressed Rice Krispies cereal mixture.
- Make sure to spread the chocolate mixture evenly over the cereal mixture.
- Let set before cutting and serving.
We love to put them in the refrigerator to speed up the process of cooling down.
Tips for the best Scotcheroos Bars:
Here are a few things that we have learned when making this Scotcheroos Bars Recipe:
- Make sure that you do not overheat the sugar and corn syrup mixture. Removing from heat just at boiling point helps keep it from overheating. If it does then this mixture could turn dry and crumbly.
- If you want to speed up the process of when you can eat these bars, you can put them in the refrigerator to set. Once they are a solid bar, then pull them out of the refrigerator and let them get to room temperature before cutting.
- We always use creamy peanut butter. You are welcome to natural peanut butter but be sure to mix the oil in with peanut butter to ensure the correct consistency.
- Be sure not to rush melting the chocolate. I put the chocolate chips in the sauce pan to heat up. I make sure that the temperature is low so that my chocolate doesn’t burn and it is evenly melted.
- These Scotcheroos bars would even be good with dark chocolate chips or white chocolate as well.
- If you are wanting a thicker bar, use a 8×8 pan instead of a 9×13 pan.
Rice Krispie Scotcheroos Bars:
We all love the classic Rice Krispie Bars but sometimes it is great to change things up. Who can beat mixing warm peanut butter with rice krispie cereal and then topping with chocolate?
Chocolate and peanut butter is my weakness when it comes to dessert. That is probably why I make this scotcheroos recipe year after after. These bars are not at all heavy with the peanut butter or butterscotch. It is the right mix of the two with a bonus of chocolate on top.
Special K Bars:
You can easily make Special K Bars with this recipe but using Special K cereal instead of Rice Krispie Cereal.
They bars must be an excellent treat when there are multiple names for it but are still the same amazing dessert option.
Want to add some toppings?
These Scotcheroos Bars are great just the way they are but we do like change things up and add some additional toppings. Here are some of the ones we have tried:
- You can drizzle butterscotch chocolate on top.
- Try adding some sprinkles on top to make them more festive.
- Crush some nuts and layer them on top of the chocolate.
- Sprinkling some sea salt on top gives it that perfect mix and sweet and salty taste that I know you will enjoy.
- We have also used different cereals other than Rice Krispie and Special K. You could also use Cocoa Pebbles or Corn Flakes.
Really the options are endless and so fun to do.
How to store?
These are the perfect treats to make ahead of time. We are all busy with making food for our holiday dinner that we need recipes that allows us to make items ahead of time.
You can store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. We rarely have an leftover but my family actually prefers them with a little chill instead of room temperature.
Can you freeze these bars?
This is an easy treat to freeze. You can freeze the entire 9×13 size all together or cut them in serving size pieces.
If freezing them individually, wrap them in plastic wrap and then wrap them in again in foil. Then place in the a ziplock freezer bag to keep from getting freezer burn. They will last in your freezer for up to about 3 months.
Once you are ready to eat, just take out a serving or two and let them thaw at room temperature before eating.
Print recipe here for Scotcheroos Bars:
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cups butterscotch chips
- First, Grease a 9×13 pan. Set aside.
- Pour Rice Krispies into a large bowl.
- Bring peanut butter, sugar, & corn syrup to a boil in a medium pot. Be sure to stir constantly.
- Pour hot mixture over rice krispies & mix well.
- Pour into greased 9×13 pan and gently press down with a spatula.
- Melt chocolate chips & butterscotch chips together in a small pot, stirring constantly on low heat.
- Pour melted chips over the pressed Rice Krispies and let set before cutting and serving.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats:
- Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls Recipe