Get dinner on the table fast with this simple and easy Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks recipe. With only 5 ingredients needed, your family can enjoy tasty drumsticks in minutes in the pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
Do you love drumsticks but need a quicker way to make them? This Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks recipe will change dinner time at your home. Pick your favorite BBQ sauce and you will be surprised how tender and juice they are.
You can easily make these tender and flavorful drumsticks with very little effort. Everything goes into the pressure cooker for an amazing meal in minutes.
From family dinner to Game Day and parties, this instant pot recipe is so simple and perfect for any occasion. Everyone will go crazy over this delicious recipe.
Instant Pot Chicken Legs Variation Ideas:
This recipe can easily be changed for what your family likes.
- Plain – Occasional I will just make plain drumsticks. One of my kids doesn’t care for BBQ sauce so he is extremely happy when I make some without any sauce.
- Buffalo Sauce – You can add in Buffalo sauce instead of BBQ sauce. We love buffalo sauce at my house so occasional I will make BBQ and Buffalo drumsticks.
- Air Fryer Chicken – You can also put chicken drumsticks in your air fryer. They come out just as crispy.
Instant Pot is a game changer!
We rarely have time to stand over the stove and fry anything around here but everyone loves chicken drumsticks. The instant pot is the solution! You can easily make the best chicken legs in the instant pot drumsticks. The pressure cooker does all the work.
Once they are finished cooking, simple put them in the oven for a few minutes to broil them. This will give you that amazing crispy outside everyone loves without any of the work of frying!
Everyone devoured these and now this is the only way I make them. This recipe is so easy and delicious.
We know you will love these Chicken Drumsticks:
- Easy Dinner Idea – These drumsticks are easy to make and you can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- Everything cooks in the Instant Pot – We love that you had all the ingredients to the Instant Pot so it easy clean up.
- Kid Approved – The whole family loves when I make these BBQ Chicken Drumsticks. Even my picky eaters.
Ingredients for BBQ Drumsticks:
- Chicken Drumsticks
- Garlic Salt or Garlic Powder
- BBQ Sauce
How to make Pressure Cooker Chicken Legs:
- Mixed together seasoning – In a small bowl combine the paprika, cumin, and garlic salt.
- Rub on Chicken – Next, sprinkle the seasoning over the drum sticks. You want to rub it all over each piece of chicken.
- Add the water (or chicken broth) to the instant pot. You don’t want the drumsticks touching the bottom so use the rack that came with the instant pot.
- Place the lid on top and set the valve to pressure to begin cooking the chicken.
- Pressure Cook the Chicken – Set the pressure cook to 15 minutes to cook the chicken drumsticks. Do a quick release to natural pressure release. In just minutes, you will have the best chicken!
- Put Chicken on Baking Sheet – Once they are finished cooking, place on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Brush with BBQ sauce and broil in the oven for that nice crispy outside. It will take about 1-5 minutes. Cooking time will vary.
- Remove from oven, flip the drumsticks. Brush with remaining BBQ sauce.
- Broil another 1-5 minutes until brown.
- Serve and Enjoy – These drumsticks are perfect when served warm.
Can I use Different Chicken?
Yes, you can use other cuts of chicken. My kids when I make this recipe with chicken drumsticks, but other chicken works great too.
Try different cuts of chicken. Chicken Breast, Chicken Wings or Chicken Thighs. We love chicken recipes.
How to Make homemade BBQ sauce:
You can certainly use store bought BBQ sauce. But it is very simple to learn how to make homemade barbecue sauce with very little effort! If you like more of a sweet barbecue sauce, add a little brown sugar to the slow cooker chicken.
Chicken drumstick recipes can be prepared so easily and without much work. We love this meal and have fun trying different variations. We have even cut up chicken breast or used regular chicken legs with this recipe. Chicken thighs are also delicious.
Instant Pot Chicken Drumstick Tips:
- These drumsticks can be eaten plan and right out of the instant pot. We just like to broil them to get that crispy texture.
- Let chicken rest before tossing with BBQ sauce. This helps to lock-in the juices.
- Make sure to use the trivet in your instant pot so your drumsticks don’t burn.
What to serve with Chicken Legs:
BBQ chicken drumsticks can be served as an appetizer or as a main meal. When we have friends over we usually serve as an appetizer.
- They are great to be served with a raw veggie tray.
- Another favorite side dish is homemade macaroni and cheese
- Creamed corn or Steamed broccoli to complete your meal
- Potato Salad is a family favorite
- Corn muffins or corn bread would pair nicely
- If eating the chicken drumsticks plain, add your favorite dipping sauce. We recommend ranch and honey mustard.
The chicken legs work great as a main meal or as an appetizer. If serving as a main meal, add a vegetable and a potato. I just feel better knowing that my family is getting a complete meal.
Can you use frozen drumsticks?
No worries if you forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer. I have done this multiple times. That is why I love my instant pot so much. Rather your meal is frozen or thawed the instant pot does all the work.
If they are frozen, I would coat the drumsticks with the seasoning to ensure that the seasoning doesn’t fall off. You probably will need increase your time 5 minutes to make sure they are cooked thoroughly.
How to use Leftovers:
- Make a Soup – Shredding the chicken and adding it to a soup, make it so full of flavor.
- Sandwiches – Shred the chicken and use it to make BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. This would be perfect for a Saturday lunch or for work the next day.
- Make Quesadilla – Make BBQ Chicken Quesadilla is a great way to use leftovers. Shred chicken and place in between two tortilla’s and heat.
- Buffalo Wraps – We love to make BBQ Chicken Wraps. We drizzle ranch dressing and add in the shredded chicken and top with lettuce. It makes the perfect wrap.
Perfect Game Day Chicken:
No one wants to be stuck in the kitchen and this recipe will get dinner on the table fast. You can spend more time with your family and less time in the kitchen.
We also love to serve this for parties or game day. You can have delicious BBQ chicken legs with very little effort!
It is so quick and easy for a great meal. With so few ingredients and hardly any work, this is the perfect meal for any day of the week!
Print Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks recipe:
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- 6 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1/2 cups bbq sauce divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In a small bowl combine the paprika, cumin, and garlic salt. Stir to combine
- Sprinkle over the drum sticks and rub all over.
- Pour the water in the Instant pot. Make sure you use the rack that came with the Instant pot to keep the drumsticks from touching the bottom.
- Place the lid on top and set the valve to pressure.
- Set the pressure to 15 minutes. Do a quick release to release the pressure.
- When finished place the chicken on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Brush half of the bbq sauce on the drum sticks. Broil for 1-5 minutes until it begins to brown.
- Remove from oven, flip the drumsticks, and brush with the remaining bbq sauce.
- Broil another 1-5 minutes until brown.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe