This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli is easy to make. Tender slices of beef is mixed with broccoli and a tasty sauce for a tasty dinner idea.
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli Recipe:
This Beef and Broccoli Recipe is better than take out and one of my favorite Instant pot beef recipes. It is made with simple ingredients and cooked in the pressure cooker for an easy weeknight meal. The tender steak is flavorful and the broccoli is cooked just right in the instant pot.
Beef and Broccoli is one of my family’s favorite meal. We also love making Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli as the slow cooker does all the work. Skip take out and make this easy meal at home.
This love serving this meal over white rice for a complete meal idea. It taste great as leftovers so I always make extras. We love how simple this recipe is and how healthy it is.
What kind of Meat Should I Use to Make Beef & Broccoli?
With this simple instant pot recipe, you can use different cuts of meat. You can easily use a cheap cut of beef if you prefer.
In this recipe we used round steak cut in bite size pieces, but you can use flank steak, beef chuck roast, skirt steak or London Broil.
You can even change the meat to chicken breast. I would recommend using chicken broth instead of beef broth. Dice the chicken breast into bite size piece and change the cooking time.
- Round Steak (cut into bite size pieces)
- Beef Broth
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Minced Garlic
- Brown Sugar
- Sesame Oil
- Cold Water
- Broccoli Crown (cut into bite size pieces)
- Sesame Seeds (optional)
How to Make Beef and Broccoli in the Instant Pot:
- Step 1 – Place the steak in an electric pressure cooker.
- Step 2 – In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the beef broth, soy sauce, minced garlic, brown sugar and sesame oil.
- Step 3 – Pour this mixture on top of the steak in the instant pot.
- Step 4 – Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Step 5 – Do a quick release to release the pressure cooking from the electric pressure cooker after this time.
- Step 6 – Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water in a small mixing bowl.
- Step 7 – Stir this mixture into the instant pot and switch the instant pot to the sauté setting.
- Step 8 – Then stir in the fresh broccoli and put the lid back on the instant pot but do not pressure.
- Step 9 = Cook on sauté for 3-4 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Step 10 – We love to sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately over rice.
How do I cut the Beef?
To prepare this meal in the instant pot, you will need to cut the beef. There are different options to easily cut the beef in bite size pieces.
- Precut Beef – There is stew meat that is already cut. This is a great option if you are short on time.
- Butcher Cut – If you buy your meat at a meat market you can have your butcher cut it.
- Cut against grain – Make sure to cut the beef again grain when you are cutting your choice of meat.
- Freezing – Place the beef in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Almost frozen meat is easier to cut. It is easier to hold and cuts in more uniform pieces.
- Brown – If you prefer not touch cold meat, brown the whole cut of meat and then slice it.
Can I use Frozen Broccoli?
Yes, you can use Frozen Broccoli Florets. We recommend to reduce the cooking time for broccoli to about 2 minutes. This makes sure that the broccoli doesn’t get mushy and overcooked.
You can also cook the broccoli separately in the microwave or on the stovetop. Then after the beef tips and steamed broccoli are finished cooking then you can mix the two together.
I like cooking everything in the instant pot as it makes clean up a breeze.
Is Sesame Seed Oil Necessary?
Sesame Seed Oil is necessary in this recipe. Unless you are allergic to it, we do not recommend skipping on this ingredient. It adds so much flavor even though you are adding a small amount.
If you decide to skip this ingredient, there is no need to add a different oil.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. We like to store in individual container to easily reheat the next day.
We think the beef and broccoli taste even better the next day because the meat really marinates in the sauce.
How to Freeze and Reheat:
If you plan on freezing this beef and broccoli mixture, I would keep the beef and broccoli separately. The beef and sauce freezes great if stored properly. Place the mixture in a freezer safe container and it will stay good for up to 3 months.
When you ready to reheat, thaw the mixture in the refrigerator overnight. Make a batch of steam broccoli and mixed with the beef mixture. You can reheat in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals.
- Use different Beef – We usually round steak, but you can also use stew meat. But you can also use sirloin steak or chuck roast. You can also use flank steak.
- Soy Sauce – If you wanting to keep the carbs low, use coconut aminos. You can also add in oyster sauce.
- Stir Fry – For a second meal idea, stir fry the ingredients to reheat. You can also mix in the rice and other vegetables.
- Nuts – Add chopped nuts when you are ready to serve this beef and broccoli.
- Green Onions – Top with green onions and sesame seeds to add in some flavor.
- Red Pepper Flakes – Add in red pepper flakes for some extra heat in the sauce.
What to Serve with Beef and Broccoli:
- White Rice
- Brown Rice
- Cauliflower Rice
- Egg Rolls
- Egg Drop Soup
Easy Beef and Broccoli Recipe:
We love that this recipe is easy to make. In less than 20 minutes dinner is done and my family is served a complete healthy meal idea. It truly can work for everyone and that is what makes this recipe so great.
We prefer to use fresh broccoli, but you can use frozen broccoli. The sauce and the tender meat makes this a family favorite recipe.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli:
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Place the steak in an electric pressure cooker. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the beef broth, soy sauce, minced garlic, brown sugar and sesame oil. Pour this mixture on top of the steak in the instant pot.
- Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Do a quick release to release the pressure from the electric pressure cooker after this time.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water in a small mixing bowl. Stir this mixture into the instant pot and switch the instant pot to the sauté setting.
- Then stir in the broccoli and put the lid back on the instant pot but do not pressure. Cook on sauté for 3-4 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately over rice.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes:
- Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Beef Curry Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Stir Fry Recipe