This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Beef and Broccoli is an easy one pot meal that is perfect served over rice. Packed with flavor this recipe is loaded with broccoli and steak.
Easy Beef and Broccoli Recipe:
This easy beef and broccoli recipe is the perfect weeknight meal. The steak is marinated in an easy ingredient marinade. The steak and broccoli is then cooked in a skillet until tender.
We love beef and broccoli recipes. Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli and Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli are must try recipes that are made with simple ingredients. Beef and Broccoli make for a delicious, hearty meal.
Stir Fry recipes are flavorful and can be made in a variety of way. Skip takeout and make this healthy recipe. Serve over rice with the delicious sauce to complete this meal.
What type of Beef do you use?
With this simple one pot recipe, you can use different cuts of meat. You can easily use a cheap cut of beef if you prefer.
In this recipe we used flank steak cut in bite size pieces, but you can use round steak, beef chuck roast, skirt steak or London Broil. We just make sure to cut in about the same size so it cooks evenly.
You can even change the meat to chicken breast. I would recommend using chicken broth instead of beef broth. Dice the chicken breast into bite size piece and change the cooking time.
- Vegetable Oil
- Flank Steak (thinly sliced)
- Cold Water
- Broccoli (chopped into bite size pieces)
- White Rice (cooked)
For the Sauce:
- Minced Garlic
- Brown Sugar
- Rice Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
How to Make Beef and Broccoli:
- Step 1 – Marinate Steak – Place the meat in a ziplock bag. Stir the 2 tablespoons cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl. Add this to the bag with the meat. Marinade for at least 20 minutes to 30 minutes.
- Step 2 – Heat Oil add Broccoli – Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chopped broccoli onto the skillet. Sauté covered for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender.
- Step 3 – Stir in Beef – Then stir in the marinated beef. Sauté uncovered for an additional 3-4 minutes until the beef is cooked through and the broccoli is tender.
- Step 4 – Combine Sauce Ingredients – Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour the sauce over the beef and vegetables and toss to combine. Heat for 1 minute to make sure that all the flavors are combined and heated through.
- Step 5 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove from heat the easy beef and broccoli and stir. Serve warm over cooked rice and enjoy.
How to Make Beef and Broccoli Sauce:
We love making this sauce to pour over the steak when it is finished cooking. It is perfect to pour extra sauce when beef and broccoli is served over rice.
Combine the following ingredients in a bowl. This makes a thick sauce to pour over the steak and vegetables.
- Minced Garlic
- Brown Sugar
- Rice Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
Continue heating for about a minute and then serve with rice and enjoy.
Tips for Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry:
- Coating Steak – Make sure to coat beef with the cornstarch and water for at least 30 minutes.
- Cutting Steak – We recommend to cut the steak in about the same size. Some grocery stores have steak already sliced. Usually it is labeled as fajita steak.
- Preparing Skillet – When preparing the steak, heat the skillet with oil to medium high heat.
- Broccoli – Cook the broccoli for a few minutes until tender before adding in the steak.
- Other Cooking Options – This recipe taste great whether you cook it in the skillet, instant pot or crock pot.
Can I Make Ahead of Time?
If you meal prep for the week, this is my go-to recipe. It heats up easily in the microwave and is a well balanced meal. You can even serve it without the rice to make it a low carb option.
Divide and store in individual container for a quick lunch all week.
What to Serve with Beef and Broccoli:
- White Rice – Our favorite side to serve with this recipe is white rice. Make sure to serve with the sauce drizzled over the top.
- Brown Rice – For a healthier side, make a side of brown rice. We have even served with cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
- Egg Rolls – My kids like getting Chinese takeout so I tried to make the same sides that they get when I make this beef and broccoli.
- Soup – Make a simple soup to serve with this beef and broccoli.
How to Store and Reheat:
- Storing – Place the leftovers beef and broccoli in the air tight container. Place in the refrigerator or freezer. If placed in the freezer it will stay fresh for up to 3 months. Refrigerated leftovers will last up to 5 days.
- Reheat – You can reheat in the microwave or in a skillet. We like reheating in a skillet so it heat thoroughly.
Recipe Substitution and Additions:
- Steak Variations – We used flank steak for this recipe, but you can easily use skirt steak or sirloin steak as well.
- Broccoli – We chopped the broccoli florets in bite size pieces. If you prefer, you can easily use frozen broccoli. If you use frozen, just place it in the skillet if it is frozen. It may take a little longer to heat.
- Soy Sauce – For added flavor, you can add in low sodium soy sauce. Coconut Aminos can also be added for a no soy sauce option.
- Sesame Oil – If you make a lot of Asian style dishes, you probably have sesame oil. This oil can be added for extra flavor.
- Sesame Seeds – I love to top this beef and broccoli with sesame seeds before serving.
- Bell Peppers – Add in some vegetables such as red or green bell peppers when adding the broccoli to the skillet.
Easy Beef and Broccoli One Pot Recipe:
Your family is going to love this one pot beef and broccoli recipe. Even my kids that are not fans of broccoli gobbled this up when served with yummy beef sauce flavor. They don’t ask for take out anymore since I started making this recipe.
Simple ingredients make this a budget friendly recipe. You can use any type of steak or feel free to use chicken. When my kids have friends over, this is my favorite meal to serve.
Print Recipe here for Beef and Broccoli:
Beef and Broccoli Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 pounds Flank Steak thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons Cold Water
- 2 cups Broccoli chopped into bite size pieces
- 6 cups White Rice cooked
- For the Sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- Place the meat in a ziplock bag. Stir the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl. Add this to the bag with the meat. Marinade for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chopped broccoli onto the skillet. Sauté covered for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender. Then stir in the marinated beef. Sauté uncovered for an additional 3-4 minutes until the beef is cooked through and the broccoli is tender.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour the sauce over the beef and vegetables and toss to combine. Heat for 1 minute to make sure that all the flavors are combined and heated through.
- Remove from heat, serve warm over cooked rice and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe