This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If you are looking for an easy casserole this Baked Ziti with Chicken is it. It is loaded with simple ingredients and the perfect family dinner idea.
Baked Ziti with Chicken:
This baked ziti with chicken is easy to put together with simple ingredients. Prepare the pasta as indicated on the package then combine with the other ingredients. Layer the pasta mixture in a baking dish and top with cheese.
Casseroles are so versatile and this is one that you can change to what you have on hand. In less than 30 minutes this casserole can be prepared for an easy, delicious casserole recipe.
This cheesy, hearty casserole is always a crowd favorite. It is the best comfort food that is the perfect blend of pasta, chicken and cheese that is easily baked in a baking pan.
What is Baked Ziti:
Baked Ziti is an Italian American dish that is loaded with pasta, tomato sauce and cheese. It usually has added sausage, chicken, or ground beef. The pasta is cooked and then mixed with the simple ingredients to make a delicious casserole.
This chicken parmesan baked ziti recipe is delicious and the perfect way to enjoy baked ziti.
- Cooked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Ziti Noodles
- Minced Garlic
- Pasta Sauce
- Fresh Basil (chopped)
- Grated Parmesan Cheese (divided)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (divided)
How to Make Baked Ziti with Chicken :
- Step 1 – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fan and spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray. Cook the ziti noodles to al dente based on the package instructions.
- Step 2 – In a large mixing bowl, stir together the chicken, cooked ziti noodles, minced garlic, pasta sauce and fresh basil.
- Step 3 – Pour half of the pasta in the 9X13 baking pan.
- Step 4 – Top with ½ cup parmesan and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Step 5 – Pour the remaining pasta mixture on top.
- Step 6 – Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Cooking time will vary, it may take about 15 minutes.
- Step 7 – Remove the foil, top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese and bake for 5 more minutes uncovered until the cheese is melted.
- Step 8 – Top with additional chopped basil and enjoy.
What to Serve with Baked Ziti with Chicken:
- Green Salad – Since this casserole is rich and hearty then we like to keep the side dish on the lighter side. Make a green salad or a Caesar salad for a quick and easy side.
- Garlic Bread with Cheese – It is the perfect combination of garlic bread and the gooey deliciousness of cheese sticks. Bring them together and you have this absolutely amazing breadstick stuffed with cheese.
- Roasted Vegetables – Make a side of roasted vegetables for an easy side dish.
- French Bread – I like to get a loaf of french bread from our local bakery to serve with this pasta casserole.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Change the Pasta – Feel free to change the pasta to what you prefer. You can use a rotini pasta, rigatoni pasta, or macaroni noodles.
- Change Seasoning – Add in some Italian Seasoning or red pepper flakes to the mixture to add in some spice to the mix.
- Use different Protein – We love chicken in this recipe but you can easily use ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground pork.
- Sauce – You can easily use a different sauce in this casserole. Marinara sauce or alfredo sauce would be delicious mixed in this pasta dish.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This is the perfect casserole to meal prep with and it reheats perfectly. Simply place the bake ziti in a microwave safe dish and reheat in the microwave.
We think it taste even better the next day as the ingredients really marinate together.
How to Freeze:
This baked ziti can be frozen which makes it easy if you want to double the recipe. Putting it in the freezer is easy and delicious when reheated.
Simply place the room temperature baked ziti in a freezer safe container. Cover the container with foil and place in the freezer. It will stay good for up to 3 months if stored properly.
When you are ready to serve again, simple thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven.
How do I know when my Pasta is al dente:
The pasta is best cooked to al dente. Cook the pasta in a rapid boiling water with some olive oil or salt. You will know when you pasta is cooked to al dente when the pasta is tender and has a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
Why is my Baked Ziti dry?
If your baked ziti comes out dry make sure that you have mixed the pasta and the other ingredients with enough sauce. Another reason could be that you have overcooked your noodles.
The noodles will continue to cook while baking so make sure to cook them al dente. When combining the ingredients make sure that the sauce completely covers everything.
We like a lot of sauce so I always add in extra.
- Cooking Spray – We recommend spraying baking dish with cooking spray to prevent the pasta mixture from sticking to the pan.
- Brown Cheese Topping – I like to cook the casserole so that the cheese gets a little brown on the top. Simple allow your casserole to cook under broiler for a few minutes.
Easy Cheesy Pasta Dish:
You are going to love this Baked Ziti with Chicken Recipe. It is loaded with flavor and can easily be put together for a weeknight meal. The ingredients are simple and it is always a crowd favorite.
Add your favorite side dish for a complete meal idea.
Print Recipe here for Baked Ziti with Chicken:
Baked Ziti with Chicken
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken
- 16 ounces Ziti Noodles
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 36 ounces Pasta Sauce
- 1/3 cup Fresh Basil chopped
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese divided
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fan and spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray. Cook the ziti noodles to al dente based on the package instructions.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the chicken, cooked ziti noodles, minced garlic, pasta sauce and fresh basil.
- Pour half of this mixture into the 9X13 baking pan. Top with ½ cup of the grated parmesan cheese and 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Pour the remaining pasta mixture on top.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 5 more minutes uncovered until the cheese is melted.
- Top with additional chopped basil and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Chicken and Pasta Recipes:
- Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta Recipe
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken Pasta Recipe
- Easy Chicken Penne Recipe